What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steam water tested for salts

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I am considering creating a minibog in an area that is swamplike around the streamlet running behind our home as well as seeing if the water is safe to use directly on CP's. Mind you, I work in a lab and get alll the free deionized water I need. I keep nearly all of my plants at work for this reason.

I just had the water tested for Ca, Mg, K, and Na. The results are in PPM. Does anybody know the detection limits acceptable for CP's (in general)?

Na: 38
Ca: 85
K: 3.7
Mg: 23

I am also having the water tested for dissolved solids.

TDS is what you need to know. If it is below 100ppm its fine for all CP's. Nepenthes can take it up to around 150ppm.

Neps are tough, tehy usually live in soil where there are high conc.s of minerals or so I've heard, but don';t grow very well! Boil 100ml of water and see if there is any residual white stuff (If there is a mountain then obviously don't use it), but I think, like nep g, that under 100ppm should be OK (I don't have to worry, the water here is so clean that it could be drunk straight from de tap - 50ppm!!!)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Wdon't you get a TDS measurer, found in hardware store/chemical factories/companies/store/places...

We can do the TDS right here at the lab. Just to clarify, was it the TDS you were referring to as needing to be <100 ppm? Are the salt values acceptable or not necessarily relevant? I am looking to try Sarracenias, VFT's and Darlingtonia. Whaddya think? Oh, and feel free to correct my typos - please. Steam? I meant - stream.

TDS needs to be well below 100 for Drosera species, but I have no clue as to individual cation concentrations.  CP in general hate lime, I can tell you that.  If the bog is non-draining issues of salt concentrations in water are critical.  Even if the TDS is low to begin with, expect a steady rise in nutrents over time as evaporation concentrates them in the bog.  Its really no different than the rules for container growing: long term salt accumulations will lead to problems in undrained scenarios where the container and substrate cannot be regualarly flushed.  I suggest you plan in advance and create some method where draining off the accumulated water is possible.  Draining the bog after a heavy rain carries away much mineral laden water.  I grew S. purpurea, D. rotundifolia and D. intermedia for 2 seasons in one of those plastic toboggan's kids use filled with moss.  I used only tap water (well above 150 PPM) and the plants did well.  The salts from the tap water were leached out by our frequent rains.  I could see the general health pick up in the days immediately following a heavy rain period.

This is the ame water course that carried off my cobra lily, following a rain event. Oh yeah, it gets freshened!

Back