What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand guns

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
ah i think i didnt explain my situation well enough, my bad. the revolver is not sitting on the seat next to me in plain sight. i usually have it covered. leaving it in plain sight would give someone a reason to bust the window and steal it. a real possibility up here and being that its just around my insurance deductable it wouldnt be worth turning in so i would be out what i paid for it. but by keeping it covered should i be pulled over for a busted tail light or such if the officer is having a bad day he/she could bust me for having a concealed weapon w/o a permit. granted most cops in the area know me and would prolly just bring it to my attention but who knows. it was recommended to me by a couple of the officers around here that i should just apply for the CCW licence because they understood my intentions and would rather not have me busted for something like this.

like i said i have no use for the original intended purpose for the CCW permit but i land in a grey area and that is the reason ill prolly end up getting one. for personal protection, well the only place i really worry about that is at my home. for that i have one of the original Ruger 44 carbines loaded with good ammo. and if all else fails i have a Marlin 1895G in 45/70 which can put an end to any fight i pick with most anything be it man, beast, or pick-up truck
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Were is the source that you are getting information that criminals get guns from honest citizins? What book? Have there been studies on this?

Rattler, you made no bad and I think I understand what you are talking about, it has just become more of an open discussion. I do want to ask though, are you not allowed to transport hunting weapons? As I said, in Nebraskee we are relaxed on the visible carry. Most pickups you see have hunting weapons in racks on the back window. The handgun on the seat is an extreme. It was just to point out that could and has happened. According to safety rules the gun needs to be unloaded and should be in a case. All firearms transported in vehicles are to be unloaded in Nebraska, for safety.

Again, if you are in one of the states that does not allow for visible carry I do not see that you are given any choice in the matter and I would also suggest you apply for a ccw. My main point in both of the posts is responsibility for the weapon and that is an overall statement. I am more worried about handguns than long guns. It is hard to conceal a rifle in your pocket. Your a hunter and wish to be able to transport weapons for that purpose. I find hunting a very relaxing pastime. I like sitting in the woods, quietly and I love the hunt so I am with you on this one.

I believe the discussion started with Ozzy asking about a firearm. The decision is his. He just needs to think of all the angles and responsibilities. More over I would just like him to be prepared to defend his decision and use. If he does use the gun, even in defense of his life or the life of a loved one, it could go badly for him. This is not fair, but civil process has a lot of power and anyone can be sued for anything. Be prepared to fight a legal battle.

Also, at least in Nebraska, property is not a good enough reason to kill someone. Your life, or the life of another, must be at risk (at least you must be able to articulate that it was and that is the chase).

I actually teach courses on defense and explain many legal issues. My belief is that if someone is trying to kill you (or another) or cause SERIOUS BODILY INJURY, you have the right to take any means to defend yourself (including deadly force), but be able to ARTICULATE why you felt your action was necessary.

Travis,  I will have to get in touch with others to get the specific information on the studies, but you miss that I have experienced this directly (a lot).  I do have to point out here that we do not have concealed carry and perhaps if we did I would not see so much of it.  I can not say for sure because we have not experienced it.  Also, I think you still may be misunderstanding me.  I am not against honest citizens owning guns.  I am for it.  All I state is to keep the weapons secured and safe (and know the SS number).  I can not see why that would be a bad statement.  Do you not agree?  Also my opinion on concealed carry is just that, my opinion, and has very little baring.  I will be getting with our department expert and will have him go over the word use of the new proposed concealed carry law for Nebraska.  He tells me that the verbage has become more specific and I may find that it is exceptable to me.

I should tell you about a great gun cabinet one of our officers has. It is not metal, but wood. It is standard furiture and looks like standard furniture. It locks and is heavy. I will not add what type because I do not want to give it away over the internet. It also makes very nice furniture. Not many would look there

Cooper:
I do not mean offend you as I do respect you as an officer. I just find it interesting to read up on stuff like this. I agree that people need to have guns stored in a safe. I have my hands guns stored in a safe. The only thing that is not stored is my shotgun for hunting.

Here are some hard facts for you.

Lost/Missing = 858

Stolen = 4,090

Recovered = 1,879

Over 4,000 guns stolen last year that where reported. Thats 4 THOUSAND guns in the hands of criminals. That is a lot of people who arn't being responsible with there weapons.

Criminals can't buy a gun legally. Nobody with an ounce of intelligence would buy a gun under there name and give it to a criminal. So, they buy them on the streets, and generally, they are stolen.

yes i can carry in open sight but that also means its in open sight for criminals who may try to break into the outfit to steal the gun. they have broken into vehicles for less than what my revolver is worth. i do not keep firearms in a vehicle here for any longer than necessary. lots off ppl up here keep their rifles in a rack behind their heads. i do not. i figure im asking for something to get stolen. besides im not a farmer/rancher so i dont need to have one always with me for the odd coyote or to put terminally injured livestock down. i do not have a case for my revolver. when transporting it it is in a holster. i guess i could get a case for it and leave it under the seat which should go around the CCW laws but why not just go get a licence? is it going to harm anyone? no i dont have a reason to carry a handgun around unless im hunting and such, besides it would get in the way during work. its just gonna eat up some of my free time and covers my arse. now i just have to get off my rear and go get one
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Ah, then we are in agreement for the most part.  Actually, we are coming from the same angle, Neither of us want the right to bare arms removed.  Guns must be used responsible for us to keep that right.  We must not lose court battles and I certainly do not like to see honest citizens lose everything they own because they defended themselves or others.  I too like information on this topic.  I will get specifics and get them off to you, but it will be awhile before I see the people that have the specifics.  I could get some for you today, but they would be from groups that do not want guns allowed and may be tainted to their wishes.  I would rather get the info where I got it, instructors.  Just so you know they too are for concealed carry, but they would like specifics given to care of the guns.  Education is the most important step.

Thanks for the numbers Casper. It is probably a lot worse. That may only be the guns that are enterable (is this a word?) into the National Crime Computer. It may not include the ones that are not. Without the serial number they are not entered until they are recovered and hopefully tracked back to the owner. If they are defaced they can not be tracked. Travis you lock up your guns. That is responsible. Thanks.

Rattler, a good argument.  I do not keep my hunting firearms in my vehicle either.   I use them and then put them away.  Another plus we have here is that if the gun is locked in your trunk (or even in a secured case under or behind your seat) it is not considered concealed.  To be a concealed weapon in Nebraska it has to be hidden in a way that it is immediately accessible for immediate use.  It sounds as if you are responsible with your weapons (not wanting thenm to be stolen) and will be very responsible with a CCW.

Here is some info, Congressional findings

Gun info - trafficking

The Federal trafficers will feed the large groups that buy in number.

Smart Gun Site, safety tech.  Bare in mind they are selling a product, although it may be very good.

stats at bottom

This one is frightening. Our goverment agencies were not reporting their lost and stolen firearms. There's weapon security.

Main stuff starts on 4th paragraph.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Back