What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big storm about to hit

They say up to 3/4 inch of hail, and 60 MPH winds. I have taken all the plants out of my GH thingy which is really a nice kite, and have brought the Sarracenia inside. Running around like a rooster with my head cut off, but the bogs are empty, and all is is secured. Watch it miss us now, and I am desperate for water so let it come!

Dustin, I think it will miss you, its South of us.

On the other hand I just checked the map.  Egads.  Better batten down the hatches, its everywhere from Buffalo to Saranac Lake, and its mean looking.

Distant thunder sounds and the first drops are falling. Hope I don't lose power. Well, at least it isn't frozen for once.

That's the same storm that hit here today about 4:30. I'm sure it got bigger and meaner with afternoon heating. It was a mean storm but it's fast moving. Lasted about 15 mins.

For once its not coming through here. Sucks for you though.

Joe

We just had a storm roll through about 9-10pm..
nothing major though, just a normal summer thunderstorm..

looks like its right on top of Oswego right now.
(its 11:40pm)
Tamlin, it was no big deal out here! rolled through in less than an hour, then it was gone..
no different than any other summer thunderstorm..
actually, the thunder and lightning was a rather weak showing!
Scot

I think meteorologists don't get enough attention.  So they make up all these dire sounding notices - warning, alert, watch, etc.  It seems to be pretty much through here now & hardly any wind at all.  It's headed up Dustin's way but he's asleep by now.
As a matter of fact, that's where I'm headed, too. Goodnight!

Looks like we were on the Southern fringe of it..
the "main body" of the storm was up over the lake..
looks like Watertown will get the brunt of it..
but still, its really nothing big!
yeah, sometimes the news stations go a bit overboard with their predictions!
who was making a big deal out of it?
Syracuse TV stations?
I didnt even know it was coming..it just started raining, got a little wind and some lightning..I didnt even go outside to look!
Storms like that roll through here about every 3rd day this time of year..
I suppose it could have been much worse if it tracked just a little further south..it ended up being mostly over the lake..
it will be interesting to check and see how hard Watertown got hit!
see if the meterologists were at least somewhat on the ball! ;)
Scot

temp-weather.JPG

Yeah, it was Syracuse.  I wonder how it was up Tony & Dustin's way.
How did you post that whole map?  Just like a picture?

We got a hard but fast moving thunderstorm here at about 3 on the 14th. Seems we get at least 3 a week now. Hmm, rain barrels are full...

Bwahaha, you yankees are funny when it comes to wheather. Puh-lease, thats a little baby storm and your getting all worried. Come on down south my brotha. Its Hurricane season. We get a class 3 or below and we just throw one big rear party. Hurricane parties are the best, boiled crabs, BBQ, cold beer and two-steppin in the rain.

I just got finished preparing for the season. Gotta rotate the battery stock, buy some extra bulbs for the flashlights, new candles, rotate the can food stock, and buy 6 extra cases of beer for the "backup stock". Things can turn REAL ugly if ya run out of beer.

Oh, and ya gotta pretty much fill up your freezer with ice. Pack ice in a ziplock bag and stuff it in every nook and cranny (no not for the beer, in case you lose power you want all your meat to stay frozen if it lasts more than a day or so)

One of the funniest things I ever saw. I was working offshore when a tropical storm ran through, and pretty much sat on top of west Louisiana for a few days dumping over 3' of water. We had to go through 3 towns that where under 6' of water or so (water was up to the soffit on most homes)

Well, we are putting through a town in a 14' flat boat, and there is this whole family of coon-a$$es sitting in those floating pool chairs, with a BBQ pit they jimmy rigged to float, and an ice chest that was inside an inner tube with a milk crate tied to the bottom cookin up some burgers and hot dogs with a fishing pole in there hands. All while tied off to a plumping vent through there roof.

Man I wish I had a picture.

Lavender,
to post that picture, I went to the weather.com page, found the map I wanted, then hit "alt - printscreen"
(holding down the Alt key, then press Print Screen while the Alt key is held down)
that copies the entire screen to the clipboard.
then I went to Microsoft Paint and pasted it into a blank image, then cropped it so that only the map was in the photo, then saved the image, then uploaded the final image to my server space at mylargescale.com.
it sounds complicated! but the whole thing took maybe 2 minutes tops..easy!

If I was at work, I would have done the whole thing with photoshop! a bit easier than MS paint..but since I was at home I had to use Paint..
Scot

Hey, missed us by miles, actually.  Check this link....I'm almost directly east of Newburgh, about 2 or 3 miles from the Conn. border:
weather map

Casper, hurricane parties are extremely dangerous. Im not sure when it happened, but some people had a hurricane party. Then sudenly, a huge hurricane came along, it was completely unexpected, and it destroyed the block of flats where the people were having a hurricane party.Only 1 person survived, a boy who floated through the water holding onto something that was able to float.(Im not sure what he was holding on to)

"Then sudenly, a huge hurricane came along, it was completely unexpected"

Umm, was that within the last 100 years or so? That can't possibly be a modern story. There is no such thing as an "unexpected huge hurricane" anymore. Those cool satalites in the sky can tell you exactly where they are and where they are going at all times.

Furthermore, if it ain't big enough for us to haul booty out of town (Very strong class 3 or above, OR if it looks like a direct hit to the mouth of the Mississippi) we are gonna have a throw down. Thats just the way it is here in N'awlins. I attend, or throw, at least 3 hurricane parties a year. Worst thing that I have gotten from any of em in the last 20 years is a hangover.

Wow, this almost sounds like the day after tomorrow!! This is waaay more intertaining though.
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

OOOH you eastys scared of that itty bitty storm?

HAHAHa thats puny! What no softball sized hail? No tornatic funnle clound? not even a sizeable dark red patch to be seen! come out west its supposed to be a big tornado year this year!

And about that story, i heard it was a woman who survived, and that party was by people who wannted a rerally up-close look at extreme weather (i guess modern day lures of skydiving, rollercoasters, and illigal substances didnt give these people enough of a rush)

You cant have a hurricane party without knowing a hurricane is coming!

sad-smiley-016.gif
Then its just another party, right?

Speaking of global warming, anyone know where i can find a background picture of Alexis Rockmans recent masterpeice, Manifest Destiny?

The artworks on display at the brooklyn museum.

Ugh it missed me.........dropped a few VFT moving them inside.....repotting to do.....:(

What a whole lot of work and worry for nothing. Took me about 3 hours to tear it down last night and set it back up this morning. Of course, it I hadn't done anything the storm would have come on to beat the band.

I'm beat and cranky.

Back