What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you divide it?

OK..once upon a BACPS meeting I bought a S. Flava which had a D.Capensis and an unknown Utric in the small 3" pot.
Now what a month later? The Utric blossomed and its a U.Bisquamata, and under old cut off pitchers I found a tiny D.Intermedia..and to top it all off it's stuck with tons of live spaghnum moss. Now for my questions.

1. with 4 plants bunched together how on earth do you divide it? and if I just repot with extra soil...

2. What do you do when dormancy comes around? WIll the plants even require it? or what?

sry for posting this in general..but with 3 different genus, 4 different species... its kind of General eh?

That's ok to post in the General Cp area, you get better responses anyways. Now for the plants, for the D. Capensis I would just gently tease it out of the soil and repot it, the same goes for the other Plants that don't have a seasonal dormacy. I highly disrecommend you repot the S. Flava, unless you are pretty good at it and can do it without disturbing the roots much, but there is no real need to. (I'm still HORRIBLE at repotting, it takes toooooooo long and hurts my eyes...LOL, makes you wonder how major plant bussinesses pot their plants so fast)

I repot any time I feel the need. Have a hole ready in mix in the new pot with at least an inch of mix at the bottom, plop the root ball out of the pot, stick it in the hole. Have everything wet. One. Two. Three. The plants don't even know anything happened. Top water to settle things in and it's done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 16 2004,6:15)]I repot any time I feel the need.  Have a hole ready in mix in the new pot with at least an inch of mix at the bottom, plop the root ball out of the pot, stick it in the hole.  Have everything wet.  One. Two. Three.  The plants don't even know anything happened.  Top water to settle things in and it's done.
I thought that might be a good idea too.. then I could just repot it into a huge pot.. the Utrics would expand throughout and the Moss would take it over while the rest remained in the center till it started reproducing.

Back