What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bestial sculpt update

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Hmm, can't find the old post... Ok, if you saw my ork sculpt I began last night I've got a few new pics for today for you fantasy art folks...

Mostly I tightened the muscles of the jaw, removed the funny oversized lip (it was too soon for that anyway) and I aded a bit to the end of the nose, I like better now.
beast5.jpg

I've been concentrating on mouth surgery today, adding a throat opening, tonsils, a palate and tongue. I'm just testing textures on the tongue, it's really to early for any real detailing but I just couldn't help myself!
beast6.jpg

I also worked a bit on the wrinkles under the eyes and trying to get symetry on the marbles (eyes).
beast4.jpg

Hope you like it!

Weird man, thats pretty cool though!

Joe

that's awesome! are you making up this beast yourself, or is it a replica from some film/book you saw? careful about posting pictures, you could sell that thing!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks!

I'm already thinking of a few changes I want to do like give him a slightly bigger cranium on the sides of his head behind the eyes and probably double the thickness jaw muscles so he doesn't look so crocodile jawed but more brutish and stocky.

This is a original design I'm making up in my head as I go along I'm only using apes and monekys as my reference. For initial inspiration I always liked the the way Warhammer Fantasy Battles games designed their orks and goblin warriors. They're more like midget tribal gorillas with pointy ears and warthog teeth compared to the tall humanoid orks from Lord of the Rings movies. I just like the idea of a swarming half sized warriors crazed with rage and howling all the way into battle out of control.

If I were to go all out and make this a full bodied creature he would only be around 36" tall, using the (human porportion) rule of aproximately 7 1/2 heads tall. I already was thinking about how and what pose to do him in as a full sized charachter with all his armor, sword and sheild but I've gotta get happy with the head first! It's easy to go overborad on a project too early and burn out. That happens with much of my stuff. I've had a HR Giger / Alien style biomechanical giant pacific octopus in progress for some months now, thankfully oil clay can be left for ages and still be workable when you have the spark again.

I do agree, he does look a little "shrimpy" so to speak, and would look a lot tougher if you made the changes you had in mind. I'm really eager to see how this thing works out!

What did you se for eyeballs? are those marbles?

Yes, they're 26 mm glass marbles from walmarts floral dept! If you can believe it these make perfect lifesize eyeballs for humans and other things with human size eyes. At $1.98 for a bag of 2 dozen or more you can't go wrong considering a pair of same size glass eyeballs for sculpting are way more per pair!

Spec PM'd and asked for a picture to show the scale, so here's a photo likely to be the scariest of all...
cookbeast.jpg

(edit) ....hmm funny this topic should be subtitled dental surgery day...

smile_k_ani_32.gif
That things biiiig! He could bite your face off!
smile_m_32.gif
I don't know how you do it...all the creases and wrinkles and everything!

What do you have the head suspended on when you're working on it? (and in that pic) It looks like its just floating in mid air!
laugh.gif

Hey, now we know what Josh looks like, too! I've been wonderin forever!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks for the pics, Josh... I still don't see how people like you can do these things!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
(I'm very bad at picturing something and either drawing it out, or sculpting it)

He (the beast head) would make a lot of money on e-bay... Then again, Hollywood would take it too! They'd prolly hire you to make other beasts for movies
smile_m_32.gif

I can't thank you enough for the kind words!
biggrin.gif

This guy has really only begun, I think I've got about 5 hours logged in so far but I won't be able to get back to it til Saturday cos I work the next 2 nights 4:15 til 4:15. But I'll be able to look at it with fresh eyes by then.

Sculpting is very easy! I've always drawn a lot since I was a kid and sculpting is kind of like drawing but in 3d. You start out with just adding rolls and wads of clay to build up to the form you want and then smooth that out a bit. Then it's the end of stage one and you have to visualize the critter covered in skin and decide if the shape is what you want before you continue with the next stages.
After you have decided it's what you want (in this case I need him to be much bulkier he looks like a ork refuge from a famine!) then you add skin and smooth it over the muscles and work on finer wrinkles and then get out the tools (I use everything from homemade bamboo stakes with weird things stuck in them all the way up to dental sculpting tools) and use these things give the skin texture and finishing details. That's all the funest part!

To make the floating head armature I used a resin cast baboon skull epoxied to the top of a bamboo plant stake and this is screwed to a 10" wood plaque from Michaels. For most things I use a bonsai wire skeleton covered in tinfoil or Aves Epoxy to build up the armature. You can use solid clay but it's heavy and you'd have to spend a lotta cash for clay that will never get worked or seen.

It would be fun to sculpt action figs and movie charachters for a living! It would beat stuffing junk mail in a factory all night for sure! I'm actually doing this critter just to add to part of my portfolio as sculptor in hopes of maybe scoring a few freelance jobs now and then.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I don't know anything about Warhammer-I am an old D&D player myself. I like the LOTR orcs myself(much better than early D&D ones that were pig-heads on humanoids, lol), but this thing you are creating is going to be spectacular.

Cheers,

Joe

Wow another unexpected night off from work because no jobs are ready to be mailed...(should I be worried?). I can play with more clay tonight after all!

Joe here's a pic of an orc warlord by the Warhammer Fantasy battle games. This is just a model kit from their collector series line, not by me just for you to know what I'm talking about as my influence.
orcwarl-shape.jpg

I'm not trying to copy this charachter at all or even their style of orcs but I like their use of ape features (big face small cranium) and the tribal social structure of their orc race, it gives me possibities to work with and spout off from.

My friends all played D&D (and I did too when I worked at the rennaisance festival for the first half of the 1990s) but I always liked Warhammer cos they had thousands of really well sculpted 5 cm miniatures to collect, customize and paint.  Then when you challenge your buddy to a battle you set all your guys on one end of a landscaped table and he on his side and then the dice rolling starts. Kind of like RISK but with a fantasy element and rules for magic and sorcery. I never really got to play so I just sculpted things to customizing my charachters and learned to do really detailed paint jobs. Nowadays kids must be getting huge allowances cos the price of Warhammer minis makes me cringe! I know I wouldn't have been able to buy them when I was a kid at their new prices!

Back