What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 and up: absinth anyone?

Maybe some of you know what Absinth is and maybe some of you don't... It's a Victorian era liqour made with an old medicinal herb called Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium).

I received a few bottles of extract from my friend in Norway (ex-Battle Helm mag writer) who now works for the Hansa Beer company. It's manufactured by Malorts in Sweden but I think his company is considering distributing it and they're mailing out samples to clients (he to everyone on his mailing list I think...!). This is not immediately drinkable you have to mix it with a 750ml of vodka.

I haven't drank any alchohol since about 1997 so I'm only having one glass to see what it's like since it's so "legendary" (see the Bram Stokers Dracula book/film). It tastes like black licorish (I never could spell that)!

If this post must be deleted because of inapropriateness or whatnot that's fine. I just thought I'd share this piece of botanical history, not an endorsement of underage drinking or anything (I'm nearly 30).

I've heard of absinthe, mostly from books and movies. From what research I've done it's illegal in many countries because of supposed side effects (such as seeing things that aren't there etc.). I'ld love to hear more about it, and if you experience anything unusual.
Meg

Well, I'm no accomplished drinker anymore, I did all my drinking uptil about 21 years old then I quit!
laugh.gif

So after 3 glasses in one hour the tradtional way; 1 oz of absinth and 3 oz of ice cold water I can't take that flavor anylonger! I tried the last glass mixed with my favorite drink (Mountain Dew) and it tasted better probably due to the sugar knocking down the licorish/Anise flavor. But so far no dancing faries...
laugh.gif

I don't think its any thing spectacular just legendary is all. It tastes horrible though. I don't like So Co either, which it tastes similar to I think.

Joe

Yeah, not having drank alchohol in all this time I really couldn't say whether it's anything special or just the normal effects of 3 oz of 80 proof vodka with a bad licorish taste!
laugh.gif

DON'T DO IT JOSH! YOU'LL RUIN YOUR BEAST SCULPTURE!
smile_n_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

lemme try it first and lets see if i can distinguish a flytrap from a nep

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME !!!!!

I once even tried embaming fluid (chinese whiskey). AHHHHHHHH
smile_k_ani_32.gif
mad.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
blues.gif
. WOW I'll never do that again. Horrible, horrible taste and the effect was well....................odd.

Joe

Joe, don't feel bad, there are people who still think that it'd be cool to drink rubbing or wood alcohal >_< DOH!

Cool isn't the word I'd use for it but........Never tried those alcohols. Don't plan to either.

Swords, I think most of my drinking was done before turning 21 too. It's just not the same when it's legal. It becomes boring when it's OK to do.

Joe

Although I still drink in moderation, the only time I ever got sick from alcohol was way before my 21st birthday. I learned my lesson early: moderation in most things! (If you believe in moderation in all things, then you're an extremist about moderation!)

Capslock <-- practices NO moderation in neps.

Just always remember folks: Beer then liquor: never sicker... Liquor then beer: never fear.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Never tried those alcohols. Don't plan to either.

GOOD! It's an excellent way to become blind or otherwise ruin your life in a timely fashion.

My old man was a wino from the time I was born til I was about 22, so I know what drinking all the time will do to mess up your life (my folks have been divorced since I was like 2) so I avoid doing so except in a special occasion.

I'd always been curious about Absinth so I thought why not... 3-4 hours later I'm really feeling nothing at all. Had to eat some maruchan ramen to get that taste outta my mouth!
smile_n_32.gif

Hey I had Maruchan Ramen tonight too, but I add egg and cheese after I strain the noodles.

Joe

I'm pretty sure you have a few less brain cells now.  Alcohol, in any form, is not something to experiment with.  Rubbing & wood alcohols are poison inside the human body.
(I'm a parent of teens.  I just had to put that in.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ June 18 2004,1:41)]Swords, I think most of my drinking was done before turning 21 too. It's just not the same when it's legal. It becomes boring when it's OK to do.
Word to that
biggrin.gif

Isn't it illegal?

yeah it's toxic, but what isn't smoking, the food you eat (yeah, those have toxins , too). i've always wanted to try it ever since i saw the dracula movie, but since swords says nothing happens, i guess i wont.

Hmm, well what I can find out is that it is illegal to sell Absinth (alcoholic drinks containing the wormwood chemical Thujone) in a drinkable form at a bar or in pre-packaged alcoholic beverages. There's no laws saying the extracts can't be sold and added to vodka or rum by the end user. It is only the USA, Canada and maybe Denmark who have these laws concerning establishments selling drinkable Absinth. And the swedish manufactured extract stuff is standardized and held to regulations that it contains no more than some certain amount of Thujone.

The biggest effect was my toes and fingers feeling tingly/numb and made me feel tired and I don't need help feeling tired!
laugh.gif

Ah well I can say I tried it anyway!

So Co is peach-flavor if I'm correct, nowhere close to absinthe. Now, there's another black lic. flavored alcohol on the market, called Jaegermeister. It's absolutely disgusting. Half of the people I know who have tried it have tossed their cookies from the taste alone. I'm a fan of black lic. candy, and even I thought Jaegermeister was bad.

Absinthe is traditionally served with cold water and a sugar cube, not vodka. The stuff already has a high alcohol content, maybe you should try mixing it with 7-up or sprite instead?

Wicked, your right, I was thinking Jager not So Co.

Joe

Back