What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen light?

i just switched my 60 watt bulb for a big 75 watt halogen bulb. that thing maks my eyes water just by looking at it! it really shines in my terrarium, because i want my plants to redden up. will this help?
Hellz

You have to be very careful. Halegen lights create alot of heat. You may just end up cooking your plants.

i put it a little bit farther away from my terrarium, its about 8 inches away from the plants and it still shine more brightly than the 60 watt, which was only 6 inches away

Halogen lights produce alot of light but they majority of the light is not suitable for plant growth.
Tony

how so?
its a whit light halogen, its says on the box that i got it in

blah.. gonna make me dig up statistics on Halogen lighting now eh ?

White light has no technical meaning. Here is a link to the spectral graph for Halogen vs Fluorescent spectral graphs

Notice in the halogen there is extreamly little light produced in the 420-435nm range. This is mostly where plants need light to grow and halogen has almost none.. Most of the light is produced above 650nm. Plants can use some red/far red light around 720nm but this light isn't used for driving photosynthesis by the plant.

Tony

You should listen to Tony, he knows what he's talking about.

woot, the stats dont lie
ill sitcth back my lights, i need a new bulb tho, ill prob use my old reptile daylight blue bulb
biggrin.gif

Hellz

Back