What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pronunciation

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
We should make a pronunciation guide! Everyone, tell us how you pronounce the names of your plants, especially the harder ones!

some of the ways i pronounce things, which are probably wrong, are:

pur-pu-aye
die-on-aye-ee
look-o-filla

these are just some examples, post your pronunciations here!

Yeah, I have no idea how to pronouce any of the plant names. It's hard especially when it comes time to order on the phone and such.
The only one I know of is Vea-nus-Fly-Trap ...LOL
smile.gif

i know! when you order on the phone the the person your talking to that's taking the order pronounces it differently, you feel like a complete idiot!

Pur pur rhe ah

dye o nay e ah (genus)
dye o nay e ay (family)

lieu ko fye lah

is that lee-ew-ko-fay-lah?

I thought it was Loo-ko-fill-a. Oh well. The rest were what I thought they were.

I was applying the general rule of thumb about double versus single consonants following a vowel. I have two things going against me - this crazy language with profuse exceptions to the rules and folks with far more experience than me.
biggrin.gif

I feel rather silly also at times when I order by phone, which is why I order most of mine thru the internet.
biggrin.gif

Some of my pronunciations:
(capitalized syllables are the emphasized ones)

nuh-PEN-thees
dro-SEER-uh
die-oh-NAY-ee-uh
loo-koh-FYE-luh
hee-lee-am-FORE-uh
LOW-ee-eye (N. lowii)
and....here's a big one:
smile_n_32.gif

uh-rist-oh-lock-ee-oy-dees(N. aristolochioides)

LOL.  This is a perennial subject.  You know, Latin was a written  language spoken only by Lawyers.  SO the rules of pronumciation are largely synthetic and matters of convention.

Leucophylla can be pronounced many ways, and is.  No one can say which is correct.  I pronounce it as Lew-coe-fie-la, with the accent on the "fie".

I have heard others pronounce it Lew-coff-ill-a with the accent on the "coff".  Our friends in the UK would probably find this correct.

I think the long "I" sound is correct.  We refer to Class, Order and Phyllum (pronounced Fie-Lum).

SO the "Y" takes a long "I" vowel sound, as in "cycle".  We don't pronounce this as sickle (although many do pronounce bicycle as bi-sickle, incorrectly)

Terminal sounds like -ae are pronounced as ay-EE (with the same sound as in "eight" only with the long "E" termination.

-ce/-ci seems to take the soft see sound as in census, central, circut, centenial (so properly Sahr (or sair)-uh-SEN-ee-uh)

-iensis: ee-en-sis (as in madagascariensis)

ia:  ee-uh  

Hope this helps.  Remember, there is no real right way, and be kind in correcting others pronunciation.

(elarwhis and nepG have the hang of it I think!)

I pronounce Drosera capensis:
Dro-sera cap-en-sis.
Dionea muscipula:
Di-o-nea mus-cipula
Utricularia bisquamata
Ut-ri-cu-laria bis-qua-mata

How do you pronounce elarwhis?
smile_m_32.gif

Heh...Don't you also love the neps names that end with two I's? Like Lowii (mentioned already). I go with the hawaiin pronunciation on these (like Hawaii is Ha-wah-ee with a hiccup between the wah and ee) so Lowii would be Low-ee-ee.

How about alata & flava?
I thought Lowii would be Low - ee - eye.
Adnedarne and PAK have a playful dispute about burmanii. It's har do know how to deal with long and short vowells when you don't have anybody to talk to, orally. Although that has been changing recently...

I also pronounce all of mine the way they do in Hawaiian. I know its probably wrong seems how its latin not hawaiian, but it sounds pretty and makes more sense to me.
laugh.gif

but I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know how to pronounce these names.
biggrin.gif

i pronounce double i's like a long E
like lowii woulf be Lau-E for me.

Hahaha, this is too good!

For the double ii I hedge my bets and use both! So, Low-EE-eye. Sanderson-ee-eye, etc - at least half the time. Other times I just cop out and use the long EE sound, as in Hawaii

Starman,

I say Bye-squamata: the bi prefix means "two", and so this would seem an essential part of the name, a combination of "Bi" (two) and squamose "Short and squat". Pronouncing the -bis in this case detracts from the communication present in the name itself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 28 2004,6:15)]How do you pronounce elarwhis?
smile_m_32.gif
I usually pronounce it somewhere in between EL-are-wiss and EL-er-wiss
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 28 2004,12:19)]I pronounce Drosera capensis:
Dro-sera cap-en-sis.
Dionea muscipula:
Di-o-nea mus-cipula
Utricularia bisquamata
Ut-ri-cu-laria bis-qua-mata
Could you specify a little more? it sounds like you're saying it like:

Dro-seera cap (as in a hat)-en-sis