What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New carnivorous plant grower :)

Hello, my name is Jayson.

I'm posting this because I saw the interest in carnivorous plants.
smile.gif
At the moment I am trying to create a list of suplys that I need in order to create a bog garden in a 10 gallon aquarium. I would like about 3-5 different types of cornivorous plants if posible.

To make this simple I'm a 16 year old from Ont, Canada and I'm not sure where to order from or what plants would go best together. I would also be interested in adding an orchid too if I could
smile.gif
 Thanks alot for your time.
smile_n_32.gif

smile.gif
Jayson Crosswell
smile.gif

Jayson,
First question: Do you intend to keep the terrarium growing all year, or letting the plants sleep in the winter? This will dictate what kinds of plants you can put in there.
As for supplies, you will need potting mix (spagnum pete moss, perlite, long fibered spagnum, couple other things...but we gotta decide on plants first).
You will need a light source (sunny window or flourescent fixtures...or both, as I guess Canadian winters don't really come with "sunny" windows).

I guess first things first.....Let us know if you want the plants to grow year round, or have a dormancy. We'll start there.

Woohoo, another potential Tamlin...welcome to the forums!
Maybe starting off with seeds of an easy species would be a good idea?
(although some like me even manage to mess it up in a first)
I probably will be having D.spatulata soon, might be possible to send overseas.
Tell me if you need some.

Glad to pay it forward and maybe help another newbie like they helped me...
Jason
smile.gif

yeah I would pick some cp's with a winter dormancy, that way you dont have to worry about the temps in winter, here is some plant species that would be easy to get and would need an easy dormancy period:
Sarracenia:
S. Flava
S. Luecophilla
S. Rubra
S. Purpurea
However most of these would easily outgrow a terrarium settup except for Purpurea
VFT's:
Red dragon
Normal
Green dragon
Pretty much all would do good in a terrarium
Just adding my $.02
smile.gif

A potential Tamlin, huh? Now there is a scary thought!

A consideration for your mini bog would be the drainage aspect. If you just fill the tank with mix and plant in it, things can often go wrong from stagnant conditions. I have found plantings like this are good for a couple of seasons, even using very good care to use only distilled water. Eventually, the potting materials break down, releasing nutrients into the mix which are not good for CP species. You might want to consider growing the plants in pots in your terrarium, and using moss and quartz based rock to create a pleasing effect and to mask the pots. This way, you can remove the pots for attention as needed, and you also would not be limited to what species you can place together: the winter, dormant temperate species could be easily removed and given the individual care they require to stay healthy.

Welcome to this Forum. You are about to begin a (hopefully!) long journey into the wonderful world of CP, and you will find yourself amongst the best bunch of people I have ever had the priveledge to meet: kids and PhD's included. I will do my best to see that you become deeply addicted to the cultivation of these plants.....all part of my plan, hee hee.

I suggest that you also make contact with the Ontario Carnivorous Plant Society for additional contacts and insight.

There's a lot of wannabes out there!
smile.gif
and somtimes two computers for him to play on
smile_m_32.gif

Back