What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Married 71 years

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know if anybody here knows about Google's news alert. You type in a word or a group of words and everytime that word is in a news article Google's sends the article to you email.
I got this story in my one of my Google's alerts.
http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.p....6418788
n27wright.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Compatibility remains strong after 71 years

By Rodger Mullen
Staff columnist

BLADENBORO - Mennon and Mary Wright's marriage has survived the Great Depression, typhoid fever and a doctor's death sentence.

Contributed photo
Mary and Mennon Wright have been married for 71 years.  
Seventy-one years after they wed, the couple is still together. In fact, except for the rare hospital stay, Mennon and Mary have rarely been apart.

Credit the remarkable longevity to compatible personalities.

"We didn't never have no fights, did we?'' said Mary, looking over at her husband of seven decades at the couple's Bladenboro home.

"Noooo .... '' Mennon said, considering the question. "We've always gotten along.''

Mennon, 90, and Mary, 89, live quietly in a house that Mennon built 60 years ago. They don't want for company; all six of their children, their seven grandchildren and three great-grandchildren live nearby.

When I visited the couple last week, Mary was cooking okra. Family members wandered in and out of the house on Pine Ridge Circle.

Health concerns have slowed Mennon and Mary in recent years. Mennon has had to use a walker since a recent fall, and Mary had to have a pacemaker implanted.

But Mennon and Mary have survived worse setbacks.

Starting as neighbors

Mennon Wright and Mary Ann Edwards grew up as neighbors in Bladenboro. They got to know each other at funerals - Mary's nephew and Mennon's brother died around the same time.

Mennon and Mary, who both worked in the cotton mills at the time, started dating, often taking in a movie or going to dinner. They were married May 13, 1933, when Mennon was 19 and Mary was 18.

Mennon remembers that he had enough money to get married, but nothing left over for a honeymoon - his pay at the time was 8 cents an hour. A friend gave the couple $5 so they could go out to dinner.

Two weeks after the wedding, Mary contracted typhoid fever, the couple's daughter Liz Holley said. Mary was quarantined in her home until she recovered.

Mennon continued his work at the cotton mill, while Mary tended a grocery store the family owned nearby. Their first child was born in 1937; today the children range in age from 67 to 51.

In the 1940s, when Mennon was making $37.50 a week, he scraped together enough money to buy several lots off N.C. 211. The land is still in the family; Mennon and Mary's children now live there.

Mennon - who was unable to serve in World War II because he is deaf - built the house, where he and Mary still live, in 1944. Mary remembers that because of wartime building supply shortages, the house was without doors or windows the couple's first nights there.

Holley, who was born in 1952, remembers a home that was filled with love. Mennon and Mary would open their house to friends in need, even though money was often tight.

"Sometimes they had a car, sometimes they didn't. Sometimes we had decent clothes, sometimes we didn't,'' Holley said. "But they were always there for us.''

Through the years, the Wrights enjoyed mostly good health. But Mennon got a frightening diagnosis in the 1960s, Holley said. A doctor told him a suspected brain tumor would kill him within six months.

"They said he wouldn't live if they didn't operate on him,'' Holley said. "He wouldn't let them operate on him.'' The diagnosis was mistaken.

Health adjustments

Their recent health concerns have forced Mennon and Mary to make adjustments. Mary laments that she can't clean the house like she used to, and the couple is no longer able to work in their garden.

But they still pick pears, apples and pecans off the trees out back, and Mary still makes biscuits for dinner every day. "I love my biscuits,'' Mary said.

Holley said her parents' long partnership is an inspiration to her. She hopes her own marriage lasts as long.

She's only got another 44 years to go.

Rodger Mullen's column appears Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. He can be reached at mullenr@fayettevillenc.com or 486-3561.

The biggest surprise is Mr. and Mrs. Wright are my step grandparents. Some of my first memories are of times I spent on the land where they live. My parents divorced when I was 6 months old. I was closer to this famliy then I was to my dad's. Even though I may not be blood related, I'll always consider them my famliy.

What a great story! They sound like fine people. Thanks, Ozzy!

Capslock

Truly awesome!  Inspiring.  Thanks from me, too!  
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the story! Very uplifting and inspiring
smile.gif
Wow, 71 years.. I'm not even that age if you flip the #s around... That must make you feel weird when you read an article like that when you don't expect it, hah...

Inspiring and romantic. I don't see things like this very often, ppl usually get divorced after 50 or so,
laugh.gif
get bored see, and began to see their partner's bad side. You must feel the most touched to tears, they being your step grandparents and all.

Thanks for sharing!
smile.gif

I would think if a couple made it to their 50th anniversary - they would stay together simply out of habit.  Made it that far, why change?  I have heard of lots of people divorcing after 25 or 30 years (I happen to be with one of those) when you go through a stage or passage in your life & reassess what you have (or don't have).  Since we've been together only 5 years & I'm 53, sadly it would take a miracle of science for us to celebrate any where near 71 years together.  But I sure would like to try!  
laugh.gif

You're on! Too bad you ran so fast back when we were 18, took me this long to trip you.

Dem was da days....nowdays its fast food marriges and throw the wrapper in the can on your way out.

Example: Standing in an elevator, the little Nurse's Aide who is like 18 years old (IF), tells me she is getting married. "Aren't you a little young" says I. "Nope", she replies, "This way when we get divorced I will be young enough to remarry".

Now days, maybe what we need are limited contracts: "I, Tamlin, take thee to be my lawful married wife for 5 years, pending extention of our contract". Sorta makes sense, which is probably why it isn't in effect in our society.

True marriges last a lifetime, no matter what the courts say or where the people live. Some things you can't forget, you just learn to turn it off.

Ozzy, if these were your kin, it says a lot about why you are such a fine Human Bean. I love you man. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

We should all be so lucky.

Wowsers....71 years? Well, if Marie and I make it that far, we'll both be 100! We were 29 when we got married. Lessee....It's been a year and a half....69 and a half to go!

Back