What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naming one's plants...

• Thread starter nature_boi
  • Start date
Huzzah!

I was just wondering if anyone out there names their plants?? If so, what?? Im asking cuz I want to name my two VFTs and I need inspirations PLUS we can do this just for kicks!!...
smile_n_32.gif

smilie4.gif

Ya, whenever someone ordered plants from my old nursery they have an option of getting a nametag for it

I named my first VFT after my daughter, Rachel. But a gal from Texas (Butthead) names all of her VFT's.

I don't name them... I use gender specific pronouns, though.

Example: "Oh look at him, he caught another fly."

^_^'

I posted this before... some people think this is odd
smile_h_32.gif

my first plant is todd
I don't keep the other plant names in my memoryy

There's Audrey II!

I named the one I have right now Bobeater. I named it this because I want it to eat a guy named Bob. Maybe someday
smile.gif

heehee I was thinking about naming my two VFTs after greek gods/mythology chararcters or something exotic like that...or maybe comic book chararcter
smilie4.gif

I don't name my plants but I name my rats. (Well actually William named it-- Frank). I thought Frank was dead but then I saw one the other day and it was either Frank or Frank Jr.
confused.gif
I don't think I've ever named a plant. I wish I had a CP big enough to eat Frank... Ugh.

Well my wife insisted on naming all our plants after serial killers( did I mention she's crazy?) so my big pot of flytraps in the Manson family, I have a capensis named Dhomer ect,ect. Boy can't wait to see the response from this one.

Boy, if I ever did decide to name my plants, it's a good thing I have 40001 baby names! Certain sundews can be VERY prolific.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Just do like George Foreman...have Spatulata George 1, Spatulata George 2, Spatulata George 3, Spatulata George 4, Spatulata George 5....
smile.gif

For anyone who doesn't know, the ex-boxer George Foreman named all his sons (5 of them?) George. I thought that was rather cruel...

In Hispanic culture, at least Puerto Rican, it is not unusual to do like George Foreman. I have a friend that had foru sons - all named after thier father. But their middle names were Handel, Amadeus, and the other two were of the same kind of concept.

I never named my plants, just for the simple fact that I would probably forget them after a few days, or forget who was who. It is just easier for me.

Well i have enough money for a lamp to grow plants with, and terrariums to grow em' in.

I would not name mine though. Tecnecly arnt most vft's propegated vegetively? Most would therfore be geneticly identicle. No difference between them. No genetic variety, as that only happens trough texual reproduction (guess)

Why name them then?

clones have feelings 2 ya know
biggrin.gif

its not gonna be a long time b4 ppl will be cloned, its just that some ppl think stem cell research is immoral.
i named my first VFT Big B
Hellz

I doubt people will ever be cloned with such massive opposition on the subject. And there is question on the health of cloned animals, all dieing early due to medical problems.

Genetic diversety is very important to the survival to any species. The more diversity there is, the greater the possibility the species can survive change. Say that one flytrap tolerated direr conditions tham most. If the land it is growing on is drained, others will die but this one will survive to pass its traits to its offspring. If (god forbid) Vft were extinct in the wild, they could be reintroduced, but who knows what special traits were lost?

Back