What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite plant place

What's your favorite plant place? Somewhere you've seen them in the wild, somewhere you've bought them, somewhere you want to buy them, someone's house, anywhere! My favorite place I've been so far is Crumps in charlotte, only place I've been! I would love to see some in the wild though. And go to california carnivores!

Craig

My favorite is my house.
biggrin.gif
Its the only place I can see lots of CPs! hehe I can stare at the 'dews forever...and marvel at the pitchers on my truncata and drool over the Schnell's Ghost and the pink pings.
smile.gif

Meadowview does have some stunning pitcher plants to look at as well.

Too true PAK,
My house has all my favorite plants! I mean I'll always love the thrill of walking into the plant shops with high hopes of running home with a new treasure. Sometimes I look all day at plant shops only to come home empty handed and sometimes disgusted by looking at the mistreated plants. Then I see my plants and I'm put back in a good mood and I'll just stand there and enjoy staring at them for inappropriate amounts of time!
biggrin.gif

If I want to go on wild places my favorite nature area is about two miles away called the Spring Peeper Meadow and it's a wildlife refuge/wetland area setup by the U of M landscape arboretum. It's an old farmers field which was "tiled" with chunks of ceramic in the 1800s/1900s to drain the field for agriculture. Well some years back college students went out and untiled the field for several years and allowed the bog to return. Every few years they burn the prarie around the pond to simulate natural grassfires. They've built a wonderful wooden walkpath over the swamp going for some 1/4-1/2 mile so you can observe all the aquatic plants/animals without actually going mucking. If it ever stops raining this holiday weekend I planned on doing a photo tour to share with everyone here and see if I can locate some Chaska native droseras or utrics. I've been there many times but without any camera.

BTW if you didn't know Spring Peepers are tiny chorus frogs. This place is absolutely wonderful at certain times of day/night when the frogs are singing!

Nobody does it better
although sometimes I wish they could.....

The Dawnstar Collection is my pride, life and joy.

Other places on my list: Paroubek Orchids, Phill Mann's greenhouse and backyard (read "Australia"), the Brazillian Tepui's, Cape Town South Africa, Stefan Ippenbergers greenhouse, Greg Bourke's collection, Bruce peninsula Canada,
The Wilkerson Bog, Mike Kings collection.......the list is nearly endless........

But it's always best right in the back room!

Here is my top 2 places:
1- South west carniivorous plants nursery-U.K(90% of my plants are from there, I have even visited their nursery)
2-my house!!

well, the fav place of mine is my house. more specifically, in the summer, my deck. Loaded with cps. then would be my three terrariums totalling 140 gals. The next really isn't a place I love, but I am sure that after being there I would love it, would be Bob Z's place....

Hey Tamlin I knew my greenhouse wasn't that impressive. Didn't make the list.
smile_n_32.gif
Wait till you come next time!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My favorite place I've been so far is Crumps in charlotte,

nepenthes_lover,

David Crump does have a mighty impressive set up going. A few of my plants are from him. If you are in the Charlotte area, you should also check out UNCC greenhouses. They have a plant sale a few times a year where you can pic up some neat stuff. Also off exit 36 on I-77 is Bob Smith's place, Serendipity. He specializes in water gardens, but on occasion has had some great CPs and some odd orchids. And if you ever find yourself in Salisbury, check out the Envrionmental Science building at Catawba College. They have very cool 'native plantings' around the buliding representing different habitats throughout the Southeast. This includes a small bog garden.

I have a huge list of favorite plant places. Green Swamp of course, there is also a nice fly ash pit near _ that has a beautiful stand of S. flava (sorry but I can't share the details of its location), Dunn's Mt. (granite outcrops), just about any cypres hammock or dome, the list goes on...

And for favorite plant shops, though they generaly don't carry CPs, you can't beat Tropiflora.

Nep G,

I can only imagine!!!!!!!!!! I just picked a handful of dreams.....

mine is my mini bog, and my tank
biggrin.gif

Hellz

My favorite place to procure plants is our very own CP Trading Post. There are some very generous folks in there. That and Mutchlers Exotic Plants.

most of you live in populated areas where theres alot of people, and a variety of plant shops. There is only a general nursery in town, and there is no exotic plant store closer than 500 miles.

jhupp- yeah, I stopped by there on the way back, Crump phoned Mellichamp for me, and when we got there, he gave me some of his hybrids, along with an N. alata and N. mixta x khansiana! And a sensitive plant! It was great, at the two places, I took 97 pictures. I do that a lot. I like pictures. Pictures......:;):

It has got to be Florida for me. Have explored much of Pacific NW, British Columbia, and some of Alaska but when I get down to the greenery of Florida I bounce around like a kid in a toy store trying to look at everything at once. Everything so different from my little corner of the world.

Brian

for me, it's definately the Atlanta Botanical Gardens!

Oak Hills orchids is by far the nicest I've visited in person. Six greenhouses, filled with orchids (many not even listed on their website). The Paph and Phrag sections are amazing.

Rock Cut park has some nice backtrails with massive amounts of Arisaema, wild columbines, Trilliums, and Dodecatheons. I'm not sure which is my favorite place.

I liked a lot of aquatic Utricularia sites back when I lived in New York. I miss being able to go see those.

Back