What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos reposted without permission or credit

I am looking to contact whomever posted the following photo:

http://gallerie-photo.chez.tiscali.fr/PltesCa....eri.jpg

This is my photo. No permission was asked or credit given for its use. I consider this poor form. Although I have never denied anyone the use of my photo's, they remain mine and I prefer to be asked before others use them. This was my entry for the Best CP photo competition on CPUK. This is the second time I find this photo on other peoples websites. It is a great photo, and I suppose it is a compliment of sorts but this is one photo I want to be credited for. Thanks for any potential help.

ah great.. wonder if my cpuk submission has been swiped also.

ah, thats a nice falconeri!

if you type in D. falconeri on google.com, you'll see the exact same photo there on the first page at the top left. this photo has been on google for a while, but i never knew it was yours!

Edit: i'm sorry tamlin! it's the top right, not the top left!

Yeah, those are my photos, with the original file names intact. This guy changed the file headers, so there is no referal to either myself or my website on "HIS" photo.

Like I said over at CPUK, now I am waiting for someone to accuse ME of lifting HIS photo for my use. Grrrrrrrr.

Guess its time to start branding my stuff, much as I find that distasteful.

OH! ok, that clears that up with the photo on google.

good luck, i wish i could help!

It is a beautiful photo William.  I hope you find the perp.

No class

Just look on the website where your photo is. Then see whose website it is.
That is a beutiful photo. Im exactly the same as you. I let kids at school use
my pencils etc., BUT I want them to ask me first. I hope that you find the idiot who has done this.
Dino

a photo of an incredibly rare plant is a LITTLE bit different than a pencil.

Nice photo.

i hope u catch that slezeball who stole your picture.

Starman,

Unfortunately many photo links do not contain links back to the homepage, so this is not always possible.

In this case I was able to source the user of this photo.  It is someone who I granted permission after I contacted him the first time I noticed it was re-posted with the file name changed.  I wasn't contacted that time either, but the site owner did subsequently credit me per my request.  Since the deed was done, there wasn't much I could do except show good grace.

I consider changing the file name to be in very poor form in any instances of re-posting, with or without permission granted.

I could "brand" my photos, but I don't like anything to interfere with the look of the photo, and I feel that this should not be required if a little common courtesy is shown.

Photos should never be reposted without permission!  If you can't find the owner to seek permission, then don't re-post.  It's as simple as that.

In this case, all is well (or as well as it can be).  I would have preferred that my file headers remain unchanged, but like I said, the deed was done.

Incidently, I have never refused anyone use of my photos.  I am not a stingy man, but I do take pride in my growing and photography.  Imagine how I would feel if someone asked me why HIS photo was on MY website?

When I first visited the mentioned website, I thought that the owner had to be God judging from the quality and quantity of the plants he was growing.  Then I found out it was just a "Best of Bob Z's Site".  But there was no way of telling this, as the author did not mention the fact on his site.

If you want to show a photo like this to a friend, or to clear up an ID issue or whatnot, it would be better to post a link to the original photo.  This is what Bob Z has done on his site, and that is acceptable: the file headers remain unchanged and all such links lead only to the original photo or website.

There have been instances where entire website photo contents have been lifted and reused without permission.  Fernando could tell you about that little faracas!  Whether is is one photo ot a hundred, it is not right.  Just because there is nothing that anyone can do to stop such use still doesn't make it right~!

alright whos the little rat who stole the picture

SInce I granted permission previously, nothing was stolen. Borrowed might be a better term. The author was both courteous and respectful once I contacted him. His intentions were good, he just put the hart before the corse.

Back