What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should marijuana be legalized/decriminalized

I am curious as to how the membership feels about the decriminalization and/or legalization of Marijuana. Are you pro or con, and why?

I would also be curious to see an anonymous poll of those who do use it and those who don't.

As with all controversial issues, I ask that you respect contrary opinions.

Is Marijuana a desturctive drug, or a healing herb?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 04 2004,10:27)]Is Marijuana a desturctive drug, or a healing herb?
i think it's both. i believe it has more to do with the user, just as there are some people that can have a beer or two with dinner and stop at that, then there are other people that feel the need to come to work at 8am drunk.

i believe that the us government should legalize marijuana, and then grow it as a cash crop. they would make a ton of money from the sales of both the herb and the associoated things that go with it's use (as well as the "munchie foods"!).

sometimes i think that the government should legalize pot, and make alcohol illegal.

my jumbled two cents, and, no, i don't smoke anything anymore...

peace,
tech...

As long as people use it respectfully and do not let it dominate their life or lead them on to more dangerous things I see nothing wrong with it being used the same as alcohol.

I also agree that maybe alcohol should be outlawed since that is what screwed up my dad, Jack Daniels and Coca Cola. Now he is off the drink completely but we're still cool together.
smile_m_32.gif

regulate it the same as alcohol. i see nothing wrong with it. i used it quite heavily my last 2 years of high school. largly due to the fact i was having alot of pain in my knees which the doctors said was growing pains and refused to do anything about it. it wasnt till they cut me open twords the end of my senior year that they found out it wasnt growing pains but cartilage spurs growing and catching on the surface of my knees causing the pain. marijuana was quite an effective pain controler and got me through many 7 hour shifts flipping burgers where i didnt get a chance to sit down. and while i havent touched it in over 2 years because my fiancee doesnt want me getting in trouble with the law, i prefer it to opiates which i have a doctors perscription for to kill the pain. i hate the drugged feeling after taking enough Tyelonal 3's or a Percicet for me to quit feeling my knees. you should also note that while i was using the drug 3-4 times a week i graduated with a 3.5 GPA taking classes such as Calculus, Human Physiology and Chemestry. not exactly "stoner level" courses. i say legalize it.

Rattler

I'm in favor of decriminalizing it. It'd certainly free up money to fight against drugs that are more dangerous. As well as put some drug dealers out of business. I don't use it, and I don't think I'd be happy if any of my close friends or relatives did... but I don't see any reason it shouldn't be an individual choice.

There are other drugs, however, I am highly against legalizing. Marijuana just isn't as dangerous as some.

Pro, but I don't smoke no more......... mainly due to $$$.

Joe

My personal feeling is that any law which turns otherwise good folk into criminals is a bad plan! There can never be a "war on drugs", only on those that elect to use them. I have spoken with very few people that object to the concept of legalizing this plant. I have had extensive exposure and experience with it, and I make no bones about it: it has improved the quality of my life. The medical benefits can't be denied: it has proven effective in the treatment of several diseases, depression, stress, allergic reactions, nausea related to chemotherapy. It is a difficult drug to abuse, you can only get so stoned and then there is no additional cumulative effect as with alcohol. I have never heard of someone smoking a joint and then going home to beat their spouse and children. It is not addicting, other than mentally, and to experienced users the loss of motor control or judgement is far less than the effects of alcohol which I regard as one of the most dangerous and deleterious drugs going, right up there with Cocaine. Considering that Marijuana sales probably exceeds that of wheat, it's financial intergration in our society is basically essential: our economy would likely collapse without it. Like all drugs, whether legal or illegal good judgement should certainly accompany its use.
There are no long term health risks that I am aware of, and if there were I would certainly not be here writing this, and half of my generation would be in their graves.

There are good drugs, and there are bad drugs - but is it the responsibility of Big Brother to dictate what they are? Didn't someone on one Fourth of July write, "We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are entitled to Life, Liberty and the persuit of Happieness"? Just who exactly are these laws protecting? You from me? Me from myself? What if tea were made illegal, would you quit drinking tea?

The laws against Marijuana use have failed, and will continue to fail, to dictate the behavior of free men. The law is useless other than to turn otherwise good folk into crimminals, deny healing to the ill, and harmless pleasure to those who wish it. The sanctions against its use do nothing more than create a lucrative black market with high prices. You can bet someone is making out nicely from these laws. Now, that is a crime for you! It is a foolish law, made by those who were uninformed, and inexperienced. Time has passed since those laws were enacted, the facts are all well known now, but our lawmakers have not changed the law.

Now that Canada has adopted a more lenient approach to Marijuana use, following the lead of the very rational approach set by Denmark, isn't it time that we be granted the rights stated in the Declaration of Independence?

To add to the list of benefits: hemp yeilds a durable, soft as silk textile. The seeds have some of the highest antioxidant properties of any botanical substance. If the land that the government pays farmers to keep fallow were planted to hemp, the seed yield could generate enough methane to free America from foreign oil concerns, were the automotive industry to retool the car engines to methane. Shhhh. Don't say that too loud.

Now, with drug testing, those that would use it are very constrained. To me this is a violation of the Liberty our forefather's of this country intended us to enjoy and defend, and I greatly resent it. You betcha I won't be peeing into any bottle. Not ever.

A friend tested positive awile back. During the process of "rehabilitation", he explained that this herb made him more relaxed and more capable of dealing with the stress of a difficult job, eased his back pains and made him a better man. The Pysch. that listened to him wrote him out a prescription for one of the mood control drugs currently in vouge in our society: the sort that lead to health complications with long term use. I find it absurd to take away a pleasurable, aesthetic natural herb, and replace it with a useless and potentially detrimental chemical. Buut, the Pharmacuetical interests love it!

"Judge a tree by the fruit it bears". This tree has born nothing but good fruit in my life, apart from the paranoia and fear the laws against its use generates. The law on the other hand has born nothing but bitter fruit, and as a free man, I reject it. But I am tired of playing cops and robbers.

It may not be for you - if not, leave it alone but also leave alone those who think otherwise. Legalize it, and end the black market, crazy prices, free the courts, and keep good folk out of prison which are really just crime universities. Let those who suffer have ease from it.

Liberty is more than a patriotic word, it is our God Given right in this country. Supposedly. My father risked his life in WWII to insure that I have that right........now, where has it gone? It has fallen under the control of lobby groups and special interests! It's gone to those who say "Best leave well enough alone". The thing about freedom is you have to stand up and BE free, even if it means facing the heat.

Happy Fourth of July, and please think about what freedom means. I welcome your critique of my own Declaration of Independence.

Interesting to read, I used to read my dads high times mags when i was young... just watch out for these type of fellas in dark cars. ----->
blues.gif

Take it easy!
laugh.gif

There is a time and a place. Tooling around in cars getting stoned isn't then or there. But in my living room I am King, and will rule myself. I believe most American's feel the same.

To me that icon I used is a federal agent (man in black) not "hip" or whatever it's supposed to signify. I was joking about the paranoia that comes with the herb.
All I'm sayin' is this is a public forum and whatnot... never quite know who's reading!

Most of you probably already know how I will answer this, but probaly not why.

NO!

Please read this entire response.  It is long, sorry. I know it is not the popular response.    

My unfortunate experience with drugs and alcohol began at birth.  My first father, my real father, is a good man, but a sever alcoholic.  He beat my mother contently.  My earliest childhood memories involve him breaking her arm and holding a gun to her head.  I was just about three then.  My real father has not touched booze since my mother left him soon after that.

Yeah, great, she left.  Nope, from the frying pan and into the fire.  I later found out that my real father starting drinking heavily and beating my mother because she tended to drink and cheat on him.  She moved in with her lover.  I do not know that you could call him a good man.  He had his good moments.  He was a drug dealer and an alcoholic.  The beatings were far worse.  He was a large man with an evil temper.  My older brothers were beat for protecting her or she was beat for protecting them. The dope, mostly marijuana flowed freely.  There were several dope parties a week.  I learned not to ask my mother to have him turn down the music because I had to go to school the next day.  It always earned her a beating.  After a while you even became use to the men at the parties leering at you. (really got bad after female development started).  He always started off with the marijuana.  It relaxed him.  It also took the inhibitions off.  He had no problem hitting her then (now it has been heard off.  I think we just do not talk about it).  He really did not get much heavier than marijuana.  There was hash and some coke, but that was expensive.  Money did not matter that much.  If he needed the dope the kids just ate less. Life was a living ####. The beating did stop for years until after I turned ten and I had a talk with him.  I will not go over what I told him, but it was short and he knew that I meant it.  Ten is too early to grow up folks.  Actually I grew up well before that.  At that point I had just had enough and took matters onto myself.  I had been caring for the house since I was eight.  My mother was a drunk and addict to.  Someone had to do it. The parties still went on and my brothers were still beat sometimes.  It was great when the police came and took him away for awhile.  You could breath easy.  You see, when he was home you had to be quiet.  You stayed to your room because you did not want to see.

Every morning he would wake up and spend several minutes trying to hack up his lungs.  I sometimes which he would just throw one and it would be over.  God forgive me.  He was consently ill.

When I was twelve he offered me a joint.  I told him no.  He said I was going to have one sometime, I might as well have it with him.  I will not repeat my statement.

He died when I was 15, but she found another.  I left the day I turned 17. When they did the autopsy on him his lungs were full of resin.  My mother did not tell them that he smoked pot.  The doctor cam out and said that he, my father, must have smoked lots of pot and told us why he knew.

The good is that (years and years later) my mother got help.  She does not use alcohol of drugs any longer.  She has been dry and clean for more than 13 years.  

I am the black sheep.  I broke away and became the enemy.  Some of my brothers followed suit (after my fathers that is).  They are dope dealers.  They beat their children because their wives are gone.  Not very good women because they left their children to this.  These brothers have spent most of there lives in one prison or another.  Not just because of marijuana, but it is part.  They use and sell other drugs (one does not use alcohol).

Is this isolated. NO!  I am officer because of my experiences.  I do not want other children to live through this.  I see it all the time.  I am told, “It started with marijuana.  That wasn’t bad so I tried...”  Alcohol also has a great involvement, but some do not use it.  I have teens come to me and ask for help.  I train women in self defense and try to give them the knowledge on how to stay out of a bad situation.  I hate it when they ask stupid questions like, “well, what do you do if your at a party and your drunk or stoned”.  Easy answer.  Don’t get drunk or stoned.

I agree that marijuana use does not appear too bad (look under the surface, study).  I agree it matters who is using and how it is being use.  I agree that it may have some medicinal purposes and should have allowed use in this area.

Some of you state that alcohol should be made illegal and marijuana made legal.  What is the difference between the two now?  legality.  Some say if marijuana is made legal that less people will use it because the thrill of doing something illegal is gone.  Yeah right, that worked well with alcohol and cigarettes, didn’t it.  All it will do is cause the same problem we now see with alcohol.  I have worked injury DUI accidents were the intoxicant was marijuana and no alcohol was present.  These are difficult.  We do not need to add another legal intoxicant.  More people will use if it is legal.

I know that I do not deal with all the people that use marijuana.  Most do not give me reason to make contact and are probably safe from me and  my follows.  I deal with the ones that use marijuana and other drugs a lot.  It is funny that I get the same excuses and reasoning from people that use marijuana and those that use meth, coke and other drugs.  Using marijuana is an infraction folks.  Its like running a stop sign.  But those that use it, as you say, reasonably will never see me.

Here are some facts.

Reduced ability to perform tasks requiring concentration and coordination such as driving a car
Increased heart rate
Bloodshot eyes
Dry mouth and throat
Altered motivation and cognition, making the acquisition of new information difficult
Impairments in learning and memory, perception, and judgment - difficulty speaking, listening effectively, thinking, retaining knowledge, problem solving, and forming concepts
Intense anxiety, panic attacks, or paranoia
Breathing problems
Long-term use can result in smoking-related problems such as bronchitis and asthma
Heavy use of marijuana can affect both male and female hormones.
Animal studies have found that THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) can damage the cells and tissues that help protect people from disease.
Extended use increases risk to the lungs and reproductive system, as well as suppression of the immune system.
The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana use indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system(6) and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine(7). Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of the extra sick days among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana use also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens(12, 13). In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke(14). It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells(15). Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke.

You are all still my friends and your use or not use will not change that.  If I visit, please put it away (unless you are in Vermont).

i completly understand your position Copper, my thing is that i really hate ppl telling me what to do. ive had limited experiances with drugs mostly alcohol and marijuana, never tried coke or meth and never wanted to. always thought mushrooms would be an interesting experiment but have yet to try them. i have had about every OTC nacotic there is short of morphine perscribed to me and i hate them all. i drive my fiancee nuts because i often refuse to take a T3 or 2 even though she knows my knees are killing me. i always enjoyed marijuana and will prolly use it again. i agree it does cause lung problems and wish it would be legalized mainly so it would be easier to get the active ingredients in pill form. i know they already make it but it is quite difficult to get. or make it legal to make it cheaper so i could just bake a pan of brownies instead of smoking it. alcohol is something i have while sitting and BSing with friends. i have a fully stocked liquor cabinet that almost never gets touched unless friends are over. i dont keep beer in my fridge cause it usually goes bad before i get around to having one. i just hate ppl telling me what i can and cant do in my house.

Rattler

I started smoking Marijauna when I was 12 and about 13-14 I started using acid (LSD) and crank (Meth) occasionally. I would go over to a friends house and his older brother would give it to us for free. It continued like that for about 2 years. At 16 I left school, though I was never there but maybe 1 or 2 days a week anyway. I started selling and doing Meth everyday and Coke a little in between for the next 8 years along with Marijauna and Codeine syrup to ease comedown from the others. I decided to quit after many friends had become locked up or were dead sadly about half and half. Conspiracy charges, overdose, shootouts, had taken its toll. I quit but the few friends that were still around weren't supportive at all and continued to offer at every chance. This about the time I met a girl who eventually became my wife. To help with keeping an ex-tweeker's mind occupied she bought me one of those bonsai trees. It kept my mind occupied but eventually led me into cactus and now CPs. I have been totally clean for 4 years except I do indulge in beer but not for getting drunk, I am an avid enjoyer of imported and dark brews, finely brewed beer. I drink for the taste, I rarely drink a whole 6 pack. I never drink hard alcohol.

Joe

Yes, but there is a reason.  The laws are to deal with society as a whole and can not be made to deal with each separate individual.  The sad fact that there are a lot of people that do not act responsibly and others must be protected from them.  The laws tell you that you can not beat your children.  They also tell you and others that substances that may lead to problems can not be used.  Again, if you are responsibly using something in your own home you will probably never see an officer about it because we will not know.

Sadly, making marijuana legal will not make the pill cheaper.  The medicinal companies are allowed to produce it.  They will make excuses to keep the pills expensive because you need them.  I have this problem with the medication for my son.  He will die without it and must have it all.  I can never let my insurance lapse.  The new stuff and better stuff always cost more.  They have you were it hurts and they know it.  I think a health reform is in order.  I think that there are several illegal drugs that may have some medicinal purpose and there are catagories separating those that do from those that do not.  If they will help someone they should be prescribed and used.  This medication should be made easy to get.  That is what we should fight for, not its complete legalization.

Alcohol is legal and is not always abused. I like to have a drink of wine or a beer on my days off.  It is a sign that I do not have to work.  But I do not abuse alcohol.  I have seen its effects close up and personal.  In early college I drank too much for a short time and found that I have violent tendencies when drunk.  I am responsible and I do not go there.  I am never what one could call intoxicated because I know it is somewhere I can not go.  I do not think that there is anything wrong with consuming alcohol.  The problem is excess and the effect on others.  I hope that makes sense.

my view is that people use it too much i think it should be legalised because even good drugs can make you feel wiered or kill you if you take enougth of it so its exactlly the same i know peoples lifes get destroyed by it but its just medicien and who knows paracetamals could ge bad for you its best to not think that a medicien can kill people but it can

all this from a 12 year old
smile_n_32.gif

Tree terror do you mean that you think it should not be legalized? Your statement seems to indicate this, but you put that you think that it should be legalized.

Joe, fantastic! I brew dark beers. I will have to bring you some.
smile_m_32.gif

No, dope, or marovana is bad.
In one word:
NO!! Dont use it!!
My grandad was a smoker of tobbaco.(ciggarates)
He eventually got cancer in the liver, it was melignent.
I watched him die. His life was gradually ebbing away. Then, on my birthday(June 2nd) he died. It was "oh, its my birthday" then, mom came in to my room, she was in floods of tears, I kind of knew, I asked her what was the matter, she said
"Grandad has died"
I think he wanted me to remember him, and to remember what smoking can
do to you. He knew how much I hated it. Me and my grandma begged him to stop. He didnt stop. He died.

im saying that if you have enouth of any medicien it can be bad so why is majuwania ilegal when it is not ment to be that strong anyway although i think you should only be able to get it from the chemist cause on the street they could put what they want in a joint

Back