What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should marijuana be legalized/decriminalized

i dont believe in alcohaulism as a disease, either. i think it's an addiction and in some cases a way tom escape one's problems. i can speak from experiance because my uncle died of it. his blood was 50 percent alcohaul in the end, his skin and eyes were yellow, he was constantly bleeding from his gums etc. eventually he just collapsed in a pool of blood. it was really, really sad.

copper

im 12 i dont aprove of people who smoke for the sake of it you had a bad experiance and lots of people do i think it should just be legalised for people over 21 and who have a problem i also think that it should be ok to do what you want to yourself unless it hurts others like the family of the drug taker i have my opinions and so dose everyone else so a bad experiance on your behalf dosnt make it right to try and scare people of

Well, for me, the bottom line is, how many bums do you see face down in the gutter with a joint in their hands? The biggest problem with marijuana for me is the crime and violence associated with the sales of it. This is 100% due to the fact that it is illegal, making the commerce all run by drug dealers. Decriminalizing will end the street-corner hustling, and the shady, back-alley dealing. That's where the problem is.

Capslock

also there will be less waste from drug users

how so? the more expensive it is, the more reason you have not to waste it

Sure, some people are mature enough to smoke a little and are responsible enough not to use it when they are driving.   Drinking alcohol is the same.  I don’t give a darn…not the word I wanted to use…what people do as long as they do not endanger my life.

The biggest problem I see from smoking grass is some of the people you might come in contact with who try to steer you to trying something a “little better”...like coke…or crack…or heroin...or even worse crystal meth.

The most addictive drug is methamphetamine.  It is cheap, readily available…you can make it in your kitchen.  It has the ability to destroy lives, make mental zombies of the user and the final stage of addiction is absolutely horrible to witness…I mean really gruesome.
The “cure” rate is 6%.
How do you like those odds…want to legalize that stuff?

I would be interested in any experience Copper has had with meth addicts and how bad she thinks the meth problem is.

Surprise, surprise, I am a proponet for legalization. i had my first experiance in Holland, when I was stationed in Germany. There are many things I no longer do since that time. Any substance can, and will be abused by people. Should we outlaw model glue, spray paint? cow patties? The problem is the DEA spends billions of dollars a year getting new equipment and training. Yet for all they have spent the influx of drugs through our borders is the same as it was. It's estimated authoritys stoped only 10% in the 70's and today for all the technology they are able to stop about 9.5%.

Lauderdale touched on the real problem. 6% recovery rate from meth. If a meth user wants to seek help, and cannot afford to pay for a facility he must go to a free clinic and get on a list where the average waiting time is 42 to 180 days. The money invested in treatment is 10% of what is spent on stopping it from comming through our boarders. You'll never stop people until they want to stop. Should everything be legal? Absolutly not!! But it cannot be denied that there are medical benifits to M.J. My own mother-in-law has sever scartissue build up in her abdomen. She presently carries a suitcase FULL of prescription drugs around with her. She can only handle half the amount perscribed to her, any more and she is a zombie.She began smoking to help offset the loss of appatite and joint(no pun intended) stiffness. She has been able to vastly reduce the amount of perscriptions she has to take to live comfortably. She also uses a vaporizer, which reduces the amount of carcinogens 96%, I believe. Do I believe it's ok for everyone? of course not. But I know MANY people who benifit from it health wise. Consider this, 60 min. did a story about a drug that in most cases stops cancer in it's tracks and in clinical studies has a 85% sucess rate. Is the avalable? NO ! Why? because of the current expense of the ingrediants pharmasudical co. can only break even if they were to produce this drug. So no profit = no production. I mean who cares if it saves lives if ya can't make a buck off it. So instead they flood the market with drugs the solve half the problem and give you a million side effects- Heart palpatations, headaces, nausia, the runs, ulcers, but God forbid you could make this stuff in your back yard, and they could not profit from it, it might become illegal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So instead they flood the market with drugs the solve half the problem and give you a million side effects- Heart palpatations, headaces, nausia, the runs, ulcers, but God forbid you could make this stuff in your back yard, and they could not profit from it, it might become illegal.
Hey GG, not only do they make money off the drugs that solve half the problem, they make MORE money off the drugs they sell to ease the side effects of those drugs....Hmmmm....Overmedicating America, anyone?

Ok, I said I would bow out, but I have to comment.

The topic is on Marijuana, not the other drugs which are obviously destructive, and have little value other than to provide a momentary and costly thrill.  They have nothing to do with each other.

In my circle, no one uses speed, cocaine, or the other thrill drugs.  No one has offered me a step-up, and if they did I would reject it, and them.  Every now and again coke shows up, and is given a wide berth by me.  I will not associate with those drugs or those that use them.  I also do not sniff glue, stick needles into my veins, or abuse prescription drugs.  The assumption that someone who uses marijuana will graduate to more dangerous drugs is a fallacy in most instances, and I reject it.  In the cases where someone does abuse other substances, this is NOT the fault of marijuana.  It is more propaganda shoveled out by the likes of those that came up with the "This is your brain, this is your brain on marijuana" campaign, if any of you recall this.  Law enforcement still follows the Harry J. Anslinger headset found in "Marijuana: Assasin of Youth".  I believe it is still part of the indoctrination that officers receive!  Drug abusers and Marijuana users are two completely seggregated and different entities.  One does not imply the other.

This type of propaganda has a negative effect.  Those that do try marijuana and find it harmless may assume that the rest of the drugs out there are likewise harmless.  If we are lied to on this issue, perhaps Cocaine and Meth also are OK!  See my point?  

Schloaty, I used to work in a nursing home as a Ward Clerk, and one of my duties was a state mandated monthly review of the client's Med sheets.  I have seen medication's prescribed in absurd amounts: one client had over 30 daily medications to deal with various problems, and then their side effects!  That is like a cereal bowl full of pills daily.  Many of the symptoms that these pills were designed to remove simply engendered more side effects.  Good Lord!  Those same side effects probably could have been dealt with by this natural herb at far less cost both financially and in terms of health.  America is overmedicated in the EXTREME, and the pharmecutical companies milk it for all it's worth.  Although perfectly legal, this is a real crime in my book: to take advantage of the old and sick, to capitalize on a patient's hope for wellness......it is disgusting!

If this question were put to public referendum, I have not a doubt that marijuana would be legal tomorrow by an overwhelming majority vote, and the billions of dollars wasted could be put towards far better ends, lives would not be ruined, and the sick could afford their own healing.  But we will never have that choice.  How did we come to this in the Land of the Free?

Incidently, letters between George Washington and Thomas Jefferson discussed growing hemp (both cultivated it on their property), and the need for seggregation of the males from the females.  For the purpose of making rope, it would not matter.  But to produce the flowers rich in the active drug, it is optimal.  They smoked it in clay pipes.  This plant has been cultivated worldwide for thousands of years, based on its usefullness, beauty and healing.  Like I said, you judge a tree by the fruit it bears.

I will not honor a Law which has been created and maintained to facilitate the profit of special interest while denying solace to the sick, and (relatively) harmless pleasure to those who would have it.  The Law is not always right, or just, and if the collective will of the people can't change it, then there is no alternative other than to stand fast and reject it and bear the consequences.  This is how our Nation started out.  Judging by the ineffectiveness of the "War on Drugs" I still believe those truths are still self evident - we are not now, nor ever will be a herd of sheep or cows to be milked by special interest, unless we allow ourselves to be herded and milked, that is.

Well, I can see that those in favor might not wish to expose themselves, but how about those opposed?  Is there anyone else out there who feels that the current stance and law is good, and that marijuana use should be considered a crime?

Just say "Aye"  Raise your hand if you support the Law in this!

i dont appreciate the topic of crystal meth being mentioned, it has nothing to do with weed and is a completely different substance.

JLAP, I agree my argument was to state that the wrong interest are being fought for, and on the wrong side of the war at that.

oh, auctually i was talking about lauderdale lol!

I have no problem with the medical qualities of the drug - glaucoma, or whatever else - but it should be treated as any other prescription drug. Beyond that, anything else is just plain abuse and irresponsibility. We have laws, rulkes, regulations, etc... for a reason. It makes no difference whether something appears to be victimless or is overt. It harms people, directly and indirectly, whether in the short run or the long run. when people can't seem to regulate themselves and stay away from what is harmful, you need laws to keep borderline people and the just plain incredibly shortsighted people from hurting themselves or others. How can anybody ignore what Copper cited? Anybody who feels the need to escape or depend upon pot has a real problem, a deeper one. This should never be made legal!

Okay, I am trying to stay out and will (after this), but a question was asked.  I think we have different perspectives on this.  Not every marijuana user I know and have met uses meth, but every meth user I know started with marijuana.  Using marijuana does not mean that there is a next step, but it happens way too often.

People, I am not just shooting off the wall here.  I live it, I see it and I am involved in data collection.  I will not say much more, but to add that I truly do not understand the agruments about it being bad, but other things are and we are not winning anyway so make it legal.  But it really does not matter if I understand it or not.  You have the right to your opinion and I have the right to mine.  Please do not dismiss the proof.  You do not have to go with it, but at least you are informed.  Better than being blind.

Also, if you want to speak about marijuana then have the guts to talk about other drugs.  We often find them together and I have busted many people toking in their cars.  We could make a lot of money off of meth, GHB, Keto, Crack,...on and on.  We are losing the war there.  Are you helping?  Before we legalize we have to look at the entire picture.

Now, those that have questions about meth can PM me or start a new thread.  This one was for marijuana.

I will still consider you all friends if you wish to be consider so (I know William does and I think confiscating all his wierd plants might be beneficial), but I will forever stand against drugs.    Recently I have seen only two people pull away from drug use.  They were both mothers and finally did it for their children, but so many of them don't.  They both tell me that they started with marijuana.  I am helping them by support.  They do love there kids.

I think I best not read this any more.  I only started because there are children and young adults on this forum and I was afraid that if the No vote was not stated then they might think that marijuana is alright, and it is not.

I think that Tamlin is right.  I think it would pass.  Not because it is right, but because those that do not believe in it
find it easier in silence.  Less risky there.  Tree Terror, I am not trying to scare anyone.  I am telling the truth.  I know what speak of.  I have the experience, education and training.  If you choose not believe me that is your choice, but do not accuse me of trying to scare.  Face the facts and make your choice. I am not a bad person (bad cop, no doughnut) I am just trying to give you an informed choice.

Sorry for involving myself again.  To keep me out please just PM me.
Thanks

You will believe what you believe.  I can not change that and tonight I am too tired to try.  The sad things is that Tamlin is also right, we see this from two different worlds, from two different sides.  This is from one of the poor schmuck trying to do a difficult job.

Copper,

I hope you stay with this thread. It is a good one, and it needs a contrary view. Your comments are just and well made from your point of view. There is a dark side to any recreational drug use, and I have already mentioned the dangers of addiction. They are real dangers. Any use of these substances must be done with great responsibility and with moderation. More is not always better! Slip up, and you will find yourself in one of the scenarios Copper has aptly painted wondering what happened as they cuff you and lead you off to the cell. They are NOT all equally good or bad!

I am FIRMLY opposed to the use of narcotics, uppers, downers, meth, coke and yes, even alcohol in excess. There is a HUGE difference between the addiction and abuse potential in these substances. Those drugs are illegal for a *very* good reason!

Sadly, even the use of MJ means dealing with a certain crime element, and that is very unfortunate and risky. Sadly, the prices for illegal substances are high, and regular use will suck away money that could be used for other and more essential things.

What is needed is some real education that is not dependent on punishment, and for the black market control of the substance to end. The greater part of the crimes committed are not the fault of the drug. They revolve around money, which always seems to bring out the worst in man. Destroy the profit by returning the herb to the people and teach responsible use and much of the evil would be gone from the equation.

If this were the case, perhaps we wouldn't need someone to have to mop up the mess, and the world could be better for us, and safer for Copper.

Copper, don't you ever let me hear you say that you are a BAD cop even jokingly or in passing comment. They darn well are out there, but you sure aren't one of them.

As for confiscating my weird plants Rose, you couldn't. All are perfectly legal. I do not cultivate anything in my home since it would jeapordize my work, and that is central to my being, not the drug. That's the difference between a user and an abuser. Once any substance becomes more important that anything else in life, you are sunk. Don't go that way, and if you are there seek help.

I will not accept that the human spirit needs to be managed by Big Brother, not ever. Nor will I accept there is anything wrong in feeling good and taking pleasure in life. I prefer to be free to make my own mistakes as I will, as long as I harm no one. If I ever do harm to anyone Copper, THEN you come and take me away: it's a tough job, but someone has to do it. I'm glad one such is yourself and I know everyone here feels the same.

I am sure that all your plants are legal, but you have to admit it would be a quick way to increase my number of incredible wonderful and "weird" plants.
smile_m_32.gif

As far a further discussion on this matter, there is no more to be said. Do not worry. I know I am a good cop, my apologizes. I do not even like doughnuts. Now pizza, that is a different story.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Not every marijuana user I know and have met uses meth, but every meth user I know started with marijuana. Using marijuana does not mean that there is a next step, but it happens way too often.

You know, I hear this very oftern. Usually termed a "gateway" drug. Recently I heard something else that intrigued me. Perhaps it does not "lead" to other drugs, but rather the use or marajuana (by teens in particular) may be indicitive of a certain personality type that would be more likely to engage in dangerous activities (i.e. harder drugs, skydiving, whatever). This is not the fault of marajuana, but rather the fault of the user. It's got nothing to do with me, so why punish me for it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Beyond that, anything else is just plain abuse and irresponsibility. We have laws, rulkes, regulations, etc... for a reason. It makes no difference whether something appears to be victimless or is overt. It harms people, directly and indirectly, whether in the short run or the long run. when people can't seem to regulate themselves and stay away from what is harmful, you need laws to keep borderline people and the just plain incredibly shortsighted people from hurting themselves or others

I heartily disagree. Laws should be put in place to keep people from harming others only. If a person wants to harm themselves (or risk harming themselves), that is their affair. Otherwise all these things would be illegal: Skydiving, white water rafting, football, boxing, karate, ice hockey, salt, fried food...Need I continue? My point is that personal risk is not the affair of Uncle Sam.

The gateway myth is just that, a myth. That someone who takes one of the least popular drugs (meth) also took one of the most popular is no revelation, nor indication of any causative effect. Indeed, in Holland, after the decriminalizing of marijuana, there was indeed a small increase in marijuana use, but no increase in the use of other drugs. Interestingly, even with the wide availability, the use of pot by high-schoolers over there is much lower than it is here!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Interestingly, even with the wide availability, the use of pot by high-schoolers over there is much lower than it is here!

Almost undoubtable because it does carry the same thrill when it's allowed. You're not "getting away" with anything, and there's no risk of getting caught.

I suppose some drug dealers would try to entice their customers to try some of their other wares.  After all, they are out to make a profit, and have no regard for the well being of their customers.  Getting someione hooked on Coke would ensure a nice regular income, and this is all the more reason to remove this popular substance from the control monopoly that the laws afford them.  Anyone can grow marijuana unless they are prevented, it is an easy growing plant.  As it currently stands, all the profit from the sale of marijuana goes to the worst of the crime elements.  With license and tax, these profits could be redirected into rehabilitation of the abusers of harmful drugs, towards education to the benefit of society vs the personal profit of organized crime.

It is the Law itself that generates much of the evil associated with the use of MJ.  It is a self perpetuating hydra.  The more restrictions, the greater the profit for black marketeers.  You cannot argue with supply and demand: the popularity of MJ has been evidenced by the utter failue of the Law to curtail it, despite decades of misplaced effort, both here in the US and in other countries where the DEA has carried it's war (and these countries do NOT appreciate it)  So it is absurd to continue to pour billions of dollars into a system that does nothing more than promote what it is trying to destroy.  How many more decades must pass before this becomes evident to lawmakers?

Back