What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between mold and fungi?

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
is there a differnce between mold and fungi? i have mold growing on some seeds that i sprayed with a fungicide, so what do i do?

i sprayed with some more fungicide just in case.

Yes there is a difference. Fungi and Bacterias can be beneficial or harmful, where-as mold I don't beleive is ever beneficial.

....................................................Ya know, I know the difference but I can't really explain it.
confused.gif

Joe

I love Mold! You probably eat it every day if you like cheese!

Mold and Fungi are two very nondiscript words that are used for verious things. Try it this way: All Mold is fungi but not all fungi is mold! does that make it clear as mud?

Fungi is a Kingdom, like kingdom Plantae (plants) or kingdom animalia (animals) so gilled mushrooms, pollypores, jelly fungi, shelf fungi, true molds, etc. are all classified as fungi...

Steve

well then how do i kill it? i dont want it killing my byblis seeds and apparently the fungicide isn't working very well.

What do you have your seed planted in? Is the seed planted on the surface?
Is your seed still in the pods or do you have nice small black seeds?

Mold will somtimes grow on the surface of seeds without hurting anything. Make sure you have some sort of air circulation. I usually plant byblis in a peat - sand mix that has a touch more sand then peat.

I don't know if that helps. Give us a bit more info on your set up and growing conditions.

Steve

growing conditions are typical lowland conditions, i have the fan on at night for 10 hours. planted on 2/1 sand/peat. they aren't in the pod, and are small black seeds.

Back