What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Listserve/forum

I was curious on how many people we have here that are on both venues for their CP fixation?
I have noticed that the listserve bulk are more "cautionate" about things and the forum people are very "passionate" about similar issues. Maybe that is why people have gravitated to whichever venue they prefer.
Me, I like both, as they are both fulfilling. Before I was online, my only source for nourishment was CPN, so I had to wait three months to get something and it was devoured fully within a day.
It is very nice to post here, as you tend to find great advice from people who hover around the Genera that interst them the most.
Anyway, just thoughts I was pondering.

Cheers,

Joe

I am on both as well as CPUK. Gotta get my fix and feed the addiction

Both for me...

I am also a member of the ICPS, I can't go without my CPN!

Steve

I'm on both as well but I generally just read the listserve posts over a cup of coffee in the mornings. When I first joined the list serve I asked a question about my bog, I got some responses by email, but mostly I felt their was those looking down their nose at me for asking such a "Trivial" question.
I tend to get better info and assistance here. But it's nice to have both for lernin'
biggrin.gif

I read the Listserve when it is sent to me. Unfortunately, I have some problems with certain rude and spiteful individuals there which make it impossible for me to engage in any discussion, since there is no moderation there. I respond to individual topics of interest by emailing the poster. You've been there and seen it Joe. If I get on there and try to introduce a topic, it turns into a flame war, thanks to the Anti-Tamlin Hate Club headed by a certain banned PFT member and his suck up friends.

In general, I dislike the format: topics do not linger long enough before fading away into limbo, and there are far too many instances of flamers and pointless critiques which has resulted in a noticable unwillingness of members to contribute. It is mostly a den of lurkers hoping to catch some interesting discussions that are far and few between.

It used to be a much better place, but sadly those days seem to be over. I used to enjoy the contributions of D. Schlauer, but even he seems to have abandoned it.

Pity.

This is pretty good response effort, especially since I intended this for "General Topics" and was not paying attention, lol.
confused.gif

If a mod could move this, that would be great.
Tamlin, you are right about Dr. Schlauer not posting as much. I had not noticed until you mentioned it.
I am not sure if there is a "Anti-Tamlin" group, but since I don't know what personal emails you have received, I can't really argue. I would like to think there isn't.
Some of the flame wars, I actually find amusing. Obviously, these are the ones I am not involved with.
I would have to agree overall with God's Garden, on the helpful issue.
I have not looked at the CPUK forum lately, but I noticed the same people posting the same topics, so it was like reading the same thing twice, lol.

Thanks,

Joe

I joined the listserve but got the same impression and also noticed soo much fighting and general negativity that I posted 3 or 4 times and never again. I don't even bother to read it anymore. I joined a couple weeks befor "Tamlins last stand" and the junk I seen and fighting negativity was enough.
I just joined CPUK today so I will see about that one.

Joe

I'm on the listserve, here, the CCPS (Jeremiah's CP forum), and the CPUK forum (been a few weeks since I dropped in there). I spend most of my time at this forum though. Been on the listserve for a while but have never posted or replied to anything. Grif, there is most definitely an "anti-Tamlin" faction there. Anything he posted, this bunch nit-picked.

BCK

Joe,

Just do a archive search of my posts and check the responses. 'Nuff said.

CPUK is a fine forum which I greatly enjoy, but I have had trouble there from the same individual. As long as he is "too busy" all is well. When he shows up, the problems start - same as they did here.

Sigh...Okay, I will do as you asked, but I better darn well find a punch of people who hate you!!!...Um, that did not come out right.
Seriously(and it's hard for me to be serious at times)I will look and see. I think it's a loss that you are not on the listserve, but at least you are here. I have been very impressed with your horticulture on D. graminifolia, among other things.

Cheers,

Joe

Tamlin, BTW, how do you rinse your peat again? Through a screen devise? I don't think I have ever done that, but I try and do that with perlite and vermiculite.

Joe

I check up alot on the List Serves, Garden Web forums, PFT forums, CPUK. The list serve doesn't seem so bad now... even though there isn't near as much traffic as there used to be. Maybe we can get those people who used to post on the listserve and join PFT

I used to post in the listserve when it was a good happy place... I started a very long topic about peltier cooling possibilities... Now I just read, but almost never post anything...
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 06 2004,5:29)]You've been there and seen it Joe. If I get on there and try to introduce a topic, it turns into a flame war, thanks to the Anti-Tamlin Hate Club headed by a certain banned PFT member and his suck up friends.
Hi,

I'm also reading the CP listserv for five years by now. Although I'm not active participating. For many years it was a very good source of information with many experts participating. From my point of view for beginners a forum based medium is much better suited. It is easier to get answers to questions (even those who have been posted thousend times), especially from other beginners being a bit ahead in knowledge whom had the same problems little time ago. As far as I rememeber the CP listserv has more than 1k subscribers, so posting a silly beginners question isn't the best way to introduce yourself into the CP community. Also the structure of a board is better for those with special interests - I don't have to read all those sticky-plant threads...
smile.gif

@Tamlin
Although I recognize you as a friend I totally disagree on your comments concerning your last posts on the CP listserv. With your partially rude initial post and the following answers you posted you did much harm to the project and also to this forum. You might consider reading back the posts you made after some time has passed - and I hope you see what and why it went wrong.

Cheers Joachim

All of you who have been to the, um, place that has alot of negetivity (im not clear on weather it is listserve or cpuk), could you please give some examples of what your talking about, cause, well, iv never been there, so i dont know what your all taking about.

OR, could someone please tell me the adress so i could go look for myself?

thanks

finch

It would be great if Dr. Schlauer were to post here, but I think this is not going to happen . I also think that many of the Listserve members DO post here.

To rinse peat I fill a 5 gallon pail halk full of peat, and fill to the brim with rain water. I then crumble the peat intil it is almost the size I want for potting. This sits in the bucket for a week or two, gradually becoming wet. I work in advance of my needs as peat is difficult to moisten.

I then scoop it out, and wring it out placing it into another 5 gallon bucket, refill with rain water, and repeat the process. The initial water squeezed out can read over 1000 PPM (3 independent testers confirmed this). The recommended maximum for CP is under 100 PPM. Repeated rinsing can get it down to as low as 30 PPM.

I may do this 3 times, if I don't have the option of the final step (in winter) which is to make my typical 50/50 mix using rinsed silica sand. Once I have the mix, I put it in pots immediately. I usually make up 10 or 20 pots, and these sit out all season on a wire rack so that the rain leaches therough them, and the sun bakes them. I work well in advance of my needs. When I want a pot of mix, I use the oldest pots I made up. In winter I can't do this, so if I am short on pots I rinse 3 times if I can stand the cold.

It works well, but there are always some problems, usually with the mix that doesn't sit outside all season. Sadly, this usually mostly affects the pygmy Drosera pots since the demand for mix is highest for me in gemmae season, and repeated rinsing in ice cold water is rather taxing.....brrrrr.

The result is no scummy algae, and a reduced incidence of mosses. A clean mix goes a long way toward healthy plants, at least as regards Drosera.
Some growers prefer NZ LFS but I find the plants do benefit from the trace elements found in peat, so I reserve the LFS for a topdressing which virtually eliminates the incidence of fungi to which many species are sensitive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ July 07 2004,3:45)]I'm also reading the CPN for five years by now. Although I'm not active participating. For many years it was a very good source of information with many experts participating. From my point of view for beginners a forum based medium is much better suited. It is easier to get answers to questions... >snip<
Hey all, I just want to quickly clear somthing up here that may be missunderstood by some folks out there.

the listserv is the email based cp group.

the pft forum is this thing here that you're reading.

CPN is the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. CPN is published by the International Carnivoroous Plant Society (ICPS) and is a paper copy, snail mailed, official journal.

CPN is one of the perks you recieve with ICPS membership.

The listserv and forums are FREE!

Steve

thankyou!

I agree with Steve. The CPN is a great publication, and I have no critique of either it, ot the ICPS.

Joachim,

Yeah, the last posts were made in anger (and I posted an apology if you recall), but please consider what I had been put through by the likes of Sindew Matt, and Mike in St. Petersburg. Can you tell me you honestly feel that my anger was unjustified? I have had more than enough patience with those particular individuals, both here, at CPUK and the Listserve.

End of topic for me.

Just looking at the posts. I've been wondering this for a while. How do you do an "active search" on the listserv?

Thanks,
Craig

Back