What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What top buy with my cp money.

alrighty then, lets get started.

I have about 40 dollars to spend(on CPS, duh
smile_n_32.gif
)
Now here comes the touh part. I currently have no CPs, but have had them before. What should I buy? For some reason I want to make a big CP terrarium thing in a 20 gallon tank that i have... But what should I pick?
I live in zone 5, New Hampshire. I need some ehlp in waht to pick!

Would you like to keep plants that can handle a NH dormancy? If so, your choices will be limmited (and therefor easier), or you don't care dormancy?

My first thougt, if dormancy is not an issue, is that you should check out what PFT has for sale.

But in order for us to make specific recomendations, we need to know a little more about what you want in general.

If you want to keep the terrarium indoors, you'll probably want to focus on tropical species that don't need dormancy. I'd get a small nep, and a couple sundews, pings, or utrics. Tropical ones. This way you don't have to figure out how to over-winter them.

Capslock
PS: PFT could set you up pretty well on all of this.

Our basement is finished and heated in the winter, and we put a humidifier down there too. We also have shelfs in which we can put grow lights on with a timer, so dormancy is not an issue.

My Personal Favorites are Sarracenia, As i have never had much luck with nepenthes. If I could get some nice, easy nepenthes, then I would be happy. But I only like big nepenthes... Im so picky. I also Like Drosera Capensis, Which I bought off someone on this site for, awhile ago. I like pretty much all drosera, but capensis is my fav.

I have so muh trouble with making these choices...
smile.gif

PFT sells Nepenthes 'Miranda' and its east to keep. mine is producing 8 inch plus pitchers at the moment. it has very colorful pitchers. for me Nepenthes are easier to keep than Sarr's, but that has more to do with the conditions i have availible.

Rattler

Thats cool, but they are quite expensive.
My question is, what happened to all the sarracenia PFT had?
I remember alot more...

Well, you mentioned something about a 20gln aq. If you want to use that then you would need to set it up. You don't want to spend $$$ on plants and not have a place to grow them. Outside of a few hardies most Neps need a chamber of some sort. Humidity and temp must be maintained, also lowland would be recomended since highland would cost more to setup. You would need lights (I say compact flourescent) at least tube cool white and warm white, a way to maintain heat without big fluctuations and the same for humidity. The margin of humidity flux is smaller, Neps don't care for that much.

Joe

Kirk are you runin a comercial, man?
confused.gif

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ July 08 2004,8:24)]SALES!!!!!!!!!!!
confused.gif
what do you mean? I have peat moss and perlite, at my house, I Have the lights, but how would I control humidity, other than misting water in tank? I will be getting more money soon, my birthday is the 24

water in the bottom with the plants up off the water and a lid on top. Or ultrasonic fogger. You'll need a lid on top.

There have been member sales recently, is what I mean.

Joe

oooh ok... If I have a cover on, where do I put the lights?
The only cover I have is a screen cover

u can make a plexi glass cover, and cut of an edge to let air circulate in the tank.
Hellz

OOH I JUST GO AN IDEA!

Put a screen on the bottom, 1 inch elevated of the ground. fill the bottom with water, under the screen. Put 6 inches of potting mix on screen (screen has very small mesh), plant plants in soil. That way humidity can still spread through the tank. I will have a cover too... So i can raise the lights a little over the plexiglass cover... Ahh... its all coming together.... Still ned the plants though... lol

hmmm... I was thinking... N ventricosa... N. Rafflesiana... and N. Coccinea Large, in the same tank...Would the Coccinea need to be raised from the ground? or could that stay on the ground? There are plent of grasshoppers at my house, that takes care of the food problems...

I really want to start the whole CP thing again, I have been CP less for almost a year!

neps, r you shure you want to start with them? perhaps a hardy d.capensis would work instead.

You could go with easy Nepenthes like gracilis, khasiana, ventricosa, rafflesiana, ventrata, rokko, etc. But you will need much bright light and ample room.

I would start off with some Drosera, Small easy Nepenthes, Some Pinguicula species perhaps and maybe some Utricularia.

you shouldnt put in a plant into a terrarium unless you know what size it going to  ultimatly get. That goes with every plant, actually, not just in a terrarium.

I learned that a little late with some houseplants. The common Schefflera Pueckleri is often sold as a house plant, because it tolerates low light levels,
s0217.jpg

but in reality it will eventually grow into a medium sized tree. One of my first houseplants, it quickly outgrew the house and i had to get rid of it. Who would take a tropical tree that eventuallly grows 45 feet tall, in south dakota?

Only drosera I like are capensis. And i dont like pinguicula. Too boring for me. Gracilis, PM me if you have any of those plants for sale that you talked about. I want to start fresh with some Neps.

Back