What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is up with this!?

• Thread starter mcrwt644
  • Start date
went up to pa from va this past weekend and went to my favorite cp nursery. well...come to find out that they have tripled the prices on some of the plants. s. leuco for a one gallon 6 yr old plant was seven dollars and fifty cents a year ago. These plants have been in stock for three years. Now they are $19.99! what gives with that? I was a bit more then upset considering they are a half hour north of where my rents live. The other sars were actually decreased in price, but still too high for my taste. why would they do that? a hike in a price like that doesn't make sense. current stock shouldn't be subject to a new stock price increase, right? just weird, kinda got me a bit riled up.

Perhaps it has something to do with their state in the wild.

Was that Tilleys?

Bummer! Carnivorekid really likes the place. Mutschlers has some good sized Neps and a few other CP's. Hey, the best place to get CP's is the Trading Post! Incredibly generous, inexpensive, and fantastic variety. I'd say 95% of what I have comes from the folks right here on TF.
smile.gif

What is Mutcshlers? I was up at tillys and they said that the $7.50 Pitchers were doing a lot better and the larger assortment s were not and that is why they uped the price for the better growing smaller pots and not as well growing larger pots..

It is called Mutschlers Exotic Plants and they are located outside of Exeter, on Route 422. Are you from the area?

Edit:http://www.pennsylvaniahorticulturalsociety.com/membership/vendor_list.html

You must realize that the nursery did all the growing for you for all those years so you are infact buying a more mature plant than you would have had you bought it as a seedling. You can buy a seedling Nepenthes rajah for as little as $30 nowadays if you're a good shopper but I guarentee you nobody in their right mind is selling a 6 year old N. rajah for only $30!
The same thing applies no matter if the plant is an "easy grower" or a "hard grower". The fact is, the nursery did the work of raising it for you (and paying for it over those years, supplying good water, paying someone to water it and care for it, any artificial lighting it might have received, etc.) They've paid to grow it out. Now you've gotta pay!
laugh.gif

Don't get me wrong - I love a great deal as much as anyone else!

hey guys,

just a little note to keep in mind who is paying for these forums, and what he does for a living.

thanks,
technoracer

believe me when I tell you that tilleys, did NONE of the work themselves. if they did, it was certainly on accident. don't get me wrong, they have some nice water plants that they grow and grow well, but infact any work they did on the cps was quite by accident. they don't even know of dormancy for the plants.

I don't know about the other cps. I only saw the ones that were outside, went in to an outdoor greenhouse, saw they had no others and left. I have seen them leave plants over the winter when they are closed with no attention given to their watering needs. I like the place, and the people, but they have no clue about cps.

technoracer-I do the majority of my business through this site, it is simply a gripe about prices, nothing further

Hi Jim
I am from the area, I am heading up to get my mom this weekend and will stop by tillys. and I am not sure of the other place. How far it is from tillys Kutz town.. Kutz is where i am picking up my mom . Baby is comming soon and need to have heeer around for help.. As for tillys thye didn.t raise the plants , they ordered them from Another state 3 years agaon and in winter they place them in the outside Greenhouse.. What they did was see that some grow Very good and some don't so they up the price of the good ones and discount the not so good ones. I passed Copy of Petflytraps Web sight and they siad they would take a look at it and if they get more in they would consider ordering from them if they could produce large orders of plants that could live in our area..

So maybe we can help Our favorite Sight and pass them some ordering by giving places such as tillys or others thier info !!!!!!!

Food for thought

Jim

A plant sitting in a nursery cost money every year simply by sitting there. It cost money in lost revenue by taking up space for something else that could be brought in and sold. It cost money in water, supplies, care costs etc. Sounds like they were priced at one #### of a deal and they finally realized they were giving them away for what they cost to grow for all those years.

yes, it was a heck of a good deal. I picked up multiple plants there, and was VERY bummed to see the price hike. I guess they just finally realized it. the wierd thing is this. they had s. alata they reduced in price along with some pretty good combos by ten bucks. I didn't sit around to see why, maybe I should have. It'll give me reason to go and see again next time I am up there.

Back