What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thriving cp population

I took a jaunt up on Co Rt 20 to check the status of the U. macrorhiza that grows there. Happily, I found the plants in flower, the first flowers just now evident. You can never find it until the beautiful large yellow flowers appear. It is a happy population, growing in fairly shallow water in association with algae and duck weed and other aquatic species. The area sports a very healthy population of frogs, always a good indicator of a pristine habitat. This population looks like it is here to stay as the wetland stretches for miles, and the plants are all through it.

Just wanted to share the good tidings!

Nice, its good to here something good about wild CP populations for once.

There are native Utrics near Oswego? Cool whip! What else is indigenous to NYS?

That's good news. It's always great to see the plants when they first begin to flower. No pictures?

Jimscott, NYS native CP are

S. purpurea
D. intermedia
D. rotundifolia
D. filiformis spp. filiformis (long island)
U. inflata
U. purpurea
U. macrorhiza as William already mentioned
P. vulgaris (may be extinct but I blive there are isolated populatiosn deep in the Adirondacks)
D. anglica??

Thanks, Dustin! That probably also answers a question about what needs dormancy as well. Filiformis? And to think I grew up on Long Island and never saw a CP!

As far as I know its not very populous as it once was. Quite threatened now I believe.

Thats unfortunate.

Im glad to see atleast SOME cp's are doing good in the wild.

I must say... i know its would be a introduced species and everything, but iv always sort of wished that neps would escape cultivation somewhere and reproduce there. Thatway, even if they were eliminated in their native ranges (God forbid, what a dark day that would be), they would still continue to exist without the help of humans.

Unlikely, but things similar and as unlikely have occured.

Parrots ar ethe most endangerd family of birds, but theres now a large, thriving population of rose-ringed parakeets in London. There so numorus, and incresing at such a fast rate, that there now veiwd as a potential crop pest. Not bad for a tropical species still being poached in the wild. Theres also a growing population of cherry headed conures in downtown sanfransisco. Wich is weird, considering they come from rain forests in peru. Also a poched species. And there are now wild populations of quaker parrots in ohio and kentuky.

Nep's outside in upstate NY?  Har dee har har....good one!  We routinely hit 20 below 0 Faernheit in the winter, it's a miracle WE survive.  Introducing species where they don't belong is bad mojo, although I can relate to the thought.

Utricularia_macrorhiza_flower_071503_2rr.jpg

I have heard about a population of P. vulgaris in the Finger Lakes region..(central New York state)
I know where they are supposed to be, next time I am down that way I intend to check it out!
I will report back if I find any..
Scot

I hope you find them, I have never been able to locate them.  I remember my SYstematics Prof. saying they hadn't been reported in 20 years.  That was in the early 80's.  Sounds like thing might have changed and that would be great!

Dustin thanks for the list. You can add U. cornuta to that list, I found it in Oneonta, NY. I don't think D. anglica has ever been in NY, but I could be wrong I suppose. Ihave never found U. inflata or U. purpurea, but if anyone ever hears of a site where they are, please let me know! It must be well South of us Dustin. I had both species thriving outside in a minibog along with U. gibba. None of them made it through the winter, for what that's worth.

Tomorrow I am going hunting for U. intermedia. You can see that at Fair Haven, State Park if you have a row boat or rent a canoe. It should likewise be in flower.

Another cheery note is I found D. intermedia in my local bog, which I have not found in 15 years. YAY! I also learned that the property did not change ownership as I had feared. The logging company that owns it posted it, but the caretaker is the guy that always comes and checks me out when I go to the bog. I have explained my interest and he is all fine with it. I would be utterly devestated should something happen to my bog. As it is, ATV's have altered the drainage characteristics, and there are discernable differences in the phytosociology there. As bogs go, it is an older one, not yet compromised by the presence of hardwood trees, but in goeological terms, it won't be long.

Don't give up hope. I don't know if anybody remembers the post I made about the D.filiformis that was found in Jones lake. They had thought to have gone extict there many years ago. I was there a week ago today and I saw them for myself.

William, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check back but, I believe I found U. inflata in an acidic lake. It had those 5 floaty puff deals with a flower on it last I saw it in the lake. I was there earlier (when i found the C. reginae in bloom) but now be too late.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Introducing species where they don't belong is bad mojo

I know all too well what you mean, but sitill, i can dream

Back