What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The federal marriage ammendent

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I typed up a reply to this topic, and some how a reply from another topic was posted. Don't ask me how it happened because I don't know. I guess that shows you should reread everything you post. Spell check doesn't help stupidity. lol
Now I'll have to try and remember what I typed.

Wesley, perhaps he's reading the Bible that says to love thy neighbor, or the one that says to judge not, lest ye be judged, or the one where one is instructed to walk in the shoes of another before judging, or the one where Jesus walks with the prostitutes and lepers. In fact, there is precious little in the Bible about homosexuality, but tons of material about treating others with respect and justice.

He, also, must not have the Bible where it says to torment gay people, deny them legal and financial benefits, and to judge, judge judge.

Capslock

I am not a bible person but..............I certainly would not take behavior advice from the Romans who are known for domination and destruction upon other "peoples"
Sorta like legal advice from a felon
laugh.gif

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God did NOT say that

I really don't see that there is anymore reason needed, because the Bible is the Book of God, and was God inspired. 2 Timothy 3:16 " All Scrpture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

It is impossible for you to be able to say that God did not say that. Every religion in the world claims that God has spoken to their founder. By saying that God did not say that; you are singling out Christianity from every other religion. But you also said that it is wrong to single out gays. Does that not mean that it is wrong to single out Christians and not every other religion that claims that God spoke to them?

Capslock,
yep, thats the Bible im reading!
smile.gif

(actually, I dont even own a bible..I consider it mostly a work of fiction.)
this is a great letter that has been going around the internet for years..
originally "an open letter to Dr. Laura"..but it applies to anyone who tries to use the Bible to justify anything..

<span style='color:red'>Dear Dr. Laura:
(or,Dear Rightious one,)

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your radio show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific Bible laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors complain to the zoning people. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.  Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. What do you think would be a fair price for her? She's 18 and starting college. Will the slave buyer be required to continue to pay for her education by law ?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense and threaten to call Human Resources.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? ....Why can't I own Canadians? Is there something wrong with tham due to the weather?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should this be a neighborhood improvement project ? What is a good day to start? Should we begin with small stones? Kind of lead up to it?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. I mean, a shrimp just isn't the same as a you-know-what. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here? Would contact lenses fall within some exception?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die? The Mafia once took out Albert Anastasia in a barbershop, but I'm not Catholic; is this ecumenical thing a sign that it's ok?

I) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really
necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan</span>

The name Romans, was because it was a letter from the Apostle Paul, and it the book was later named Romans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wesley, perhaps he's reading the Bible that says to love thy neighbor, or the one that says to judge not, lest ye be judged, or the one where one is instructed to walk in the shoes of another before judging, or the one where Jesus walks with the prostitutes and lepers. In fact, there is precious little in the Bible about homosexuality, but tons of material about treating others with respect and justice.

It does say that, but that doesn't mean that we should give finacial support to people who murder, they are(well used to be) prosecuted. Now they just through them in prison for three years, and then a man kills some cats, and is thrown in prison for 10 years

some of you know this, some of you don't, but i'm gay and proud of it.

i dont understand why anyone would want to keep me from being happy. it doesn't make sense. I have nothing against straight people, they can get married, so why can't we?

if you ask me, by not giving us equal oportunities, they are treatins us like second-class citezens and i simply won't stand for it!!! they are treating us like we aren't people. it kind of reminds me of the slave days.

and about the religion thing, i don't believe in god and i don't see how he could love someone, then make them an "abomination" it's not fair. we didn't choose to be gay, we didn't wake up and say "oh what a super morning!" we were born this way, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

not to mention, people can write anything in the bible. how do we know that they didn't write things that god never said in the bible? that is, assuming he's real.

when it comes to politics, the topic of religion should NEVER be brought up because it's completely irrelevent. so i dont appreciate people talking about religion here in a way to prove that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married.

Financial support? Heck, nobody supports that! We're discussing the SAME benefits that you or I enjoy.

I was watching TV the other night, and someone said "I was totally against the whole gay marriage thing until someone mentioned that it's not mandatory." LOL!

The point is, if it's a good idea to give a family tax breaks, then it's a good idea. The sexual orentation of the parents is irrelevant. Second, we kind of operate on the notion that we're all equals in this country, with freedom of religion and association, so strictures imposed by 2000 year-old middle eastern nomads really shouldn't dictate our policies, no?

Capslock

Preach it, JLAP!!!

Capslock
laugh.gif

How did you get to murderers? Gays aren't murderers at least until they murder someone.

Justlikeapill, I was wondering why you said something about a guy giving you a gift on the friends topic but your profile says male.
biggrin.gif

Joe

If you will notice, everyone of those references was from the OLD Testiment. These laws were put in place by God because of man's sin, and because He had not sent The Ultiment
Sacrifice(to replace the scent of the burning sacrifices).

As for shrimp(and anything else "unclean") paul was told by God that it is ok to eat them, because he created them(though it is proven that those who eat according to that stated in Leviticus are healthier), and because Jesus had come with the new law to replace the old law. America has also changed it's laws as mentioned by someone else.

My dad(and I do too) also plants multiple crops in the same garden.

My mom wears mixed clothing.

I shave.

I have touched dead pigs(not that it was all that fun).

I pray in His presence every day, and I have horrible eyesight. The

Sabbeth isn't difined as Sunday, just as a day of the week when no one works(and in America it happens to be Sunday) It depends on where you stand with God

Oh, I forgot, this was the Jewish law. We(or at least most of us) are Gentiles.

well, now you know lol
biggrin.gif
i hope no one thinks any less of me, and if they do, screw them! i dont need someone like that anyway
laugh.gif

my parents always wanted me to be in boyscouts when i was younger (i've known i was gay since i was in 5th grade) i'm a pretty political person, and i absolutely hate the boyscouts because they wont let gays in scouts. i wont support an organization like that. just because we like guys (or girls if your a lesbian) does NOT mean were going to rape everyone we get out hands on, and that is a common misconception of people.

I used mudurers as an example, I never said gays were mudurers, or rapers. God is letting his people suffer because he is testing us. It is like a test, if you don't give the test then how can you know that the student has learned the material. Well, non-sins can become sins, as shone by the added amendments. If religion is to have nothing to do with government, does that mean that a Christain(or anyone else who has a religion) isn't aloud to vote, because someone is going to use their beliefs to help them vote.

JLAP, I never said that tought any less of you because you are gay. You ARE a person, wether strait or not. Do unto you neighbor as would have done unto you, hmm so if you want to commit suicide, does that mean that you should murder someone, because you want to die?

Wesley.
so are you saying that because its in the OLD testament it isnt true, or isnt relevant?
are you saying we can all just ignore half of the bible?
including you?
those are still GODS laws in the old testament are they not?
or are you saying God was wrong when he said those things?
which is it?
either those are Gods laws or they arent..
either God was right when he said those things or he was wrong..
are you saying God was wrong?
if he wasnt wrong, then why can you ignore his laws?
ether you believe ALL of the bible or you dont..
if YOU get to pick and choose what is true and what isnt in the bible, why should we have any respect for your one Romans verse?

and..im still waiting for a good reason to not allow gays to marry that is NOT based on the Bible or religion..do you have one?
Scot

OH! i think you misunderstand, i wasn't speaking directly to you, i was really talking to whoever reads that and doesn't approve.

scotty, couldn't agree more!

Now when did I say that the Old testiment is not true? When did I say that God was wrong? It is impossible to give a reason against gay marriage, because no matter what, it willl in some way or another be linked to the Bible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ July 12 2004,8:28)]I'm not right or left, I am looking at the Word of God.  If it's right or left it is because God is right or left.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm not right or left, I am looking at the Word of God.  If it's right or left it is because God is right or left.

Come on now, lets be completly accurate. Your statement should have read " I'm not right or left, I am looking at the Word of God, as translated by man, and edited by kings, and yet edited again by man. If it's right or left it is because the people that translated God's word where right or left."

The quote that Scott posted is rather funny in that it makes litteral connections between the bible and every day life. You said notice that they are from the old testament, which leads us to believe that you are downplaying the relevance of the old testament. The question is why are some things ignored in the bible ignored for the benefit of the biblethumper but others are held true and what makes one person think that they are important enought to disregard one thing and accuse someone else using the bible? Why can't gay people disregard the part that suits their needs?

Joe

JLAP....................YOUR GAY?!?!?!?!? i demand my Utrics back and i will promptly stomp all those orchids into a mushy pulp
smile_n_32.gif

anyways if we are going to bring the stuff from the old testiment back i lay claim to the eye for an eye thing............ive gots some scores to settle if we are going to bring that one back
smile_m_32.gif

Rattler

PS JLAP.....the orchids are doing great, there is some stuff i need to discuss with yah about the second round of Utrics........im in the middle of cooking some steaks and will pm yah the details latter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ July 12 2004,9:33)]I used mudurers as an example, I never said gays were mudurers, or rapers.  God is letting his people suffer because he is testing us.  It is like a test, if you don't give the test then how can you know that the student has learned the material.  Well, non-sins can become sins, as shone by the added amendments.  If religion is to have nothing to do with government, does that mean that a Christain(or anyone else who has a religion) isn't aloud to vote, because someone is going to use their beliefs to help them vote.

JLAP,  I never said that tought any less of you because you are gay.  You ARE a person, wether strait or not.  Do unto you neighbor as would have done unto you, hmm so if you want to commit suicide, does that mean that you should murder someone, because you want to die?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]God is letting his people suffer because he is testing us.

Wow, sounds like the "All mercifull god" that I was told about in school. Come on, LETTING HIS PEOPLE SUFFER? That is WAY out in left field.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is like a test, if you don't give the test then how can you know that the student has learned the material.

I am loving this. Isn't your god "all knowing and all powerfull"? He knows you will fail the test before he gives it. Right? Or is he just sort of a god, that doesn't really know what you will do or how things will really turn out? I mean, he did know his son was going to be crucified before he sent him right? So he should know everything else as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, non-sins can become sins, as shone by the added amendments.

Wtf? Amendments to sin, are you serious? What isn't a sin today, just MAY be a sin tommorow?
So is there like a grandfather clause to that? Say if it isn't a sin today and I do it, and it becomes a sin tomorow, am I sinner? What if it becomes a sin JUST before you die, do you go to #### because you didn't repent the new found sin?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If religion is to have nothing to do with government, does that mean that a Christain(or anyone else who has a religion) isn't aloud to vote, because someone is going to use their beliefs to help them vote.

Wrong again, Gov't has nothing to do with religion, not the other way around. A great thing about this country is you can vote however the heck you want to. Now, Religion tries to have everything to do with the gov't but with limited success. Personally, we need to start taxing all them zealots if they want to try to take power in polotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back