What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good greenhouse in minniapolis?

next Thursday morning im driving over to Minniapolis to pick up my fiancees daughters from her ex. we are going to stay there till probably Sunday morning. are there any good greenhouses that sell orchids and such down twords the mall of america which is the area where we will be staying.

Rattler

Check out www.orchidweb.com it's Orchids Limited and they have got a display room with large Nepenthes veitchii, ventricosas, truncatas, fuscas, clipeata x eymae x cliepeata and other fun stuff along with smaller neps, big bulbophyllums, and an enormous Aristolochia grandiflora and 6 foot diameter tree fern. If Jerry is there (older fellow with white hair) ask him to show you around the highland greenhouse which has some neat things. He's got the whole GH setup including TC lab, etc...
He's over in Plymouth but it's easily accessible:
take Highway 494 West/North (you'll be on 494 already if you go to the mall of america)
to County Road 9 (exit 23B) , Go west (left) on Co. Rd 9 just a stop lights past the PDQ gas station and turn North (right) on Fernbrook road and you'll drive about a mile into a suburban neighbrorhood which all of a sudden opens up to a Llama pasture and mound of greenhouses and the big purple & black sign. He's open 9-5 mon-saturday.
Good luck!

In richfield (near the airport) on Lyndale Avenue there is Lyndale Gardens hardware store which actually carries all sorts of fun botanicals including (retail) CPs, Orchids, exoic aroids and cactuses, epiphytes and palms. Since it's summer their weird plant selection which is so nice in December is replaced with garden favorites but they still have a good selection of fun plants.

thats exactly what im looking for. i sould be able to hit it on thursday on my way to Minneapolis. thanks

Rattler

Swords, i went to Orchids Limited this afternoon at about 4pm, didnt pick up anything or get to see the highland greenhouse but i have one word that keeps going through my head.........WOW!!!!!.....Darla saw a blue Vanda that she thinks she needs but doesnt want to wait for a lil one to grow up and i refuse to pay $75 for a blooming one.....we are at a stalemate. im headed back up that way in the morning and to the other place. OL have some lowland vetchii and if its the same as the large one on display i think its a female unless im now confusing 2 different plants. the truncata on display is HUGE! oh and Darla says you give great directions
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Dang it!
I was gonna go to OL today around 4 PM as well (I left my house at 3pm) I was on my way there but I stopped off at Best Buy on 394 to get the new Aqua Teen Hunger Force adult cartoon DVD. By the time I escaped the DVD aisles and got back to my car it was after 5pm so I headed to the hobby shop instead. It would have been nice to put a face to the rattler! I'm glad you guys found it OK.

OL's plants can be spendy but it is the only place to just get up out of bed and go buy a N. rajah at 9 am and have it home by 10 am. Like anything, you pay for the convenience of immediate gratification. If you had thought to ask they do usually have all sizes of plants she probably could've gotten a 2"-4" potted specimen for much cheaper. I want a flowering P. sandrianum that he showed me in a back room but I sure don't wanna part with that much cash! I will eventually get myself one of the more reasonably priced seedling/TC plantlets. There's always the satisfaction of "doing it by yourself" anyway even if it is a couple years on down the road!

I'm not sure where he got those display room plants from, he's had them ever since I started going there about 2000/2001. I know his recent order from last fall or so came from Borneo Exotics. He has mentioned dealing with Malesiana Tropicals in the past as well. I don't know if he does any dealings with Wistuba or not.

he does have some of those Vandas in 2.5 inch pots, but like i said she doesnt want wait 2 years or so before it blooms. i have no problem with that but she is impatient. we will prolly meet up someother time. i dont mind the 12 hour drive over here, and lots to do when i do get here. the problem is for the same amount of time i can get to Colorado Springs and one of Darlas life long friends is down there and after this week her sister will be in Memphis and not Minneapolis flying for an airline. i hate driving across Wyoming though. its about as bad as North Dakota. the senary ends when you hit the border
smile_n_32.gif
oh well. as for the prices. im used to only being able to pick over orchids at Walmart. a lil more $ for being able to pick out my own plants is fine. if i want cheap ill search ebay(ive picked up some nice unusual ones on there). living in the middle of nowhere sucks sometimes.

Rattler

Back