What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous plants website update

Hello TerraForums,

I’m creating a site update for:
http://www.carnivorousplantsuk.co.uk/Homepage.html
It was last updated in 2001 so the content (especially image quality) is outdated. The domain is property of ‘Andycpuk’ who is admin of the CPUK forum.

We would like the site to be an international site, being a good source for all sorts of CP information and quality images made by cp lovers for cp lovers
smile.gif

These are the current design templates (content is temporarily):

http://www.carnivorousplantsuk.co.uk/cpsite/cephalotus/overview.php
http://www.carnivorousplantsuk.co.uk/cpsite/cephalotus/species.php
http://www.carnivorousplantsuk.co.uk/cpsite/cephalotus/gallery.php
(Cultivation, Propagation will use the same template as overview)

Once all the templates are done they need to be filled. And that’s gonna be a huge amount of text and images, which is the reason for this post: I don’t have it yet. ^_^

I can’t just copy paste copyrighted material even though it’s tempting sometimes. ;) So that’s why I would like to ask for volunteers to send well written text for a certain area/page and especially high quality images.
The images are going to be square by the way. (Largest 500x500)

It would also be great if you already have some material I could use and are willing to allow me to use it.

TerraForums will also receive a high ranked spot on the link page no matter what, simply because it’s a good forum.
smile.gif

Anyway, please tell me what you think.
You can e-mail me your quality images with permission to use them to:
Albert_looper@yahoo.com
(Originals saved as jpeg best quality are preferred, so ‘editing/resizing’ is better)

Thank you for your time.
smile_r_32.gif

Albert, I strongly encourage you to change the photo format to a 640x480 format, since that is at least the aspect ratio of 99.9% of the photos out there.

Should you make that change, my photos are all public domain and can be seen at:
Capslock's Plants

Capslock

True, I know the size is a bit unusual but it has several reasons.

First of all the photo size shouldn’t be bigger than 500 width because it wouldn’t fit the design for people who use 800x600 resolution.
Secondly the large picture area needs to have a fixed location. (To prevent small bugs in browsers like Opera/Mozzila)
And another factor is that it’s much easier to create square thumbnails when the larger version is also square.  
smile_m_32.gif

I could make the size larger in height but in that case photo’s which are taken with the camera tilted are totally useless (Try making a 480x640 photo of a 640x480 version
smile_n_32.gif
).
500x500 is just more practical for this particular design and is quick to view without needing to scroll which is the case with 640 height in most browser setups.

But yeah like you said, it might be impractical sometimes. There are no doubt some photo’s which can’t be converted into 500x500 very well. In that case I just don’t use them.
smile.gif

I’ve looked through your photo album (it’s a nice one I might add) and there are quite a lot of them which are good though.
For example:
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/Capslocks-Plants/D_slackii_3
It has some extra width you don’t necessarily need and thus it fits perfectly as 500x500 without changing the picture’s main object.

Could I use them when I see fit? I’ll let you know which ones so if you still have the original file of it you could perhaps mail it to me because re-sizing & re-saving images is often as the expense of some quality.

cool ill do my best to get some pics to you. our negative scanner is working again so my pic quality went up a couple notches.

Rattler

Phyrex,
You are certainly welcome to use my photos. I never saved anything but the 640x480 versions at that link, so they are identical to the ones I have on my hard drive. Go ahead and use them how you'd like, including cropping and any resizing you need to do, although I still think you should the 8x6 (or 6x8) ratio. I use Mozilla, and have never had any trouble with thumbnails and photos on any other sites.

Capslock

Thanks a lot Capslock.
The small mozzila bug I was talking about only happens with dynamic sizes of the area where the larger photo goes into (Ie: it’s 1x1 first and automatically fits around the image later on).

The Gallery page is very easy to update with the current design because it’s all one page. IE-users get a cool fading effect on the pictures also. In other browsers it simply shows the picture immediately without causing any harm. (It’s only 3 lines extra so no extra download size either)  
smile.gif

Feel free to use mine.  Link

Wow, awesome images and site Larry.
Thanks a lot!

Top ^_^

Still need a lot of pictures.
If you have cultivation/propagation tips, or other CP related articles which you would like to share I’d gladly see them.
smile.gif

I would like the site to be as useful for CP beginners as it can be so the more info the merrier.

Thanks Forbes for your PM and allowing me to use your photo's.
They are truly fantastic. I like your Drosera collection.
smile_r_32.gif

Back