What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody else tired of seeing people with

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I was reading the Martha Stewart thing today and the wife of an Enron guy the other day.

I am sick and tired of seeing people with money go to these special prisons and camps with minimal sentences. I used to get into trouble quite abit and have been to jail and prison a few times and I'll tell you what, asking a judge for leniancy wouldn't have gotten me anywhere. Nor would he care about the "good"thngs I've done. What he or she cares about is what I did wrong. Usually the don't care if you have a reason or excuse. In light of my experiences I say if you're convicted of a crime you get the same time. Furtherrmore you should have to spend time with the same people that the rest of us would have to deal with in jail. None of this tennis court BS and what-not, 1/2hr a day on the roof is all the fresh air you need and thats not everyday.

This is BS about being getting soft sentencing. In the Martha article I read, the judge said she thinks she has suffered enough and will continue to suffer. Wait a minute, I always got max terms and you know what, you think i don't suffer and further more it is harder to get a good job because of this so my family suffers as well, I am a little less than sympathetic about Marthas' suffering- multimillion dollars and she is suffering huh ?

I get sick of reading **** like this. UGH, I could spit on it!!!

Joe

Preaching to the choir, man. 5 months she got. Especially look at the celebrity drug users. Community service and rehab! What kind of bs is that? Non-celebs can get YEARS in prison!

I say give 'em WORSE sentenses...CANE HER!
mad.gif

That would sure make others think twice, don't 'cha think?

The Enron CEO wife got sent to a maximum security prison

True, but with minimal sentencing. The offsetting sentences are a good idea for the childrens sake but why isn't that the case for regular folk? If I and my wife got put in jail or prison, the court would just place them with the state or if you're lucky with a family member.

Joe

I'm not a big fan of Martha, however she sold some stock that she owned and made a few bucks by possibly getting an early tip from her broker. She didn't do any direct harm to anyone else or commit a violent crime.
So I feel the sentence is about right and I can't see her being incarcerated with hardened criminals. That wouldn't make much sense to me. Matter of fact I think they are making an example of her because she is wealthy and famous....so possibly she got more harshly judged than other people would have. That's my 2 cents.

Who in the world is Martha Stewart? Sorry, I don't know any 'celebrities', but there is a saying: 'rich people don't go to jail'.
laugh.gif
What kind of #$%^&*-up policy that is I don't know, but I suppose its true in a way. Bribery, you know, the next day the judge gets 10X richer.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

'Off with their heads!!'

No but seriously; wouldn't it be better to state an example using people that you read about? I mean, the impact would be greater if some celeb is given the max sentence for a say drug offense, than your average Joe that noone ever hears about, no?

Also, do the crime, you do the time, same place as everyone else... (that are probably fed up with seeing celebs let off easy)
mad.gif

I'm not really a fan of Martha either, but I think that the publicity has certainly ruined much of her image. The average joe wouldn't have this problem, everyone on the street wouldn't know what THEY had done. Also, she at least earned her money. Unlike many celebs, it wasn't just handed to her at birth by her parents. I have to respect that in some form.

Well, I dont know much about Martha, but if she earned her money, she deserves some respect true, but I still say that getting out of trouble (that you've put yourself in) easy isnt the same as respect...

Wow I just realized I dont really know a lot about this at all, but just posted to whine about ppl with more cash than me...

In the case of Marth, come on, she sold some stock on an inside tip. 5 months in jail is almost a little harsh for a fist time offender.

Secondly, the real purpose of jail is to rehabilitate people. What good would it serve to put Martha Stewert with hardened criminals? I mean, its Martha friggen Stewert. She would not come out of jail rehabilitated she would come out mentally unstable.

Now, as far as these celebs on their fifth felony drug possession, I agree. If that would have been me, I would be serving a 2 year stint by the 2nd charge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Casper @ July 19 2004,6:56)]She would not come out of jail rehabilitated she would come out mentally unstable.

Now, as far as these celebs on their fifth felony drug possession, I agree. If that would have been me, I would be serving a 2 year stint by the 2nd charge.
You're saying shes mentaly stable NOW?
smile.gif

*cough* Scott Wiland*cough*

Martha was not convicted of insider trading as everyone seems to think.  She was convicted of *lying to the investigators* about it.  So her real crime--lying.  WOW.

I do agree that "celebrities" get FAR too lenient sentencing in most crimes and its VERY unfair.  Don't ever believe our judicial system is fair...in many instances it isn't.  Fame and money buys you freedom.

However, Martha's crime was "minimal", she didn't do anything that many MALE CEO's haven't done to a much more heinous degree and gotten away with it... but people had a field day with it because it was the prim and proper Martha Stewart and she's female to boot!   The news media went after her with a vengeance.

She had her day in court...I think her punishment was fair and she will always have to live with the public stigma and the hurt to her company.  If her crime had been more serious, I'd be all for a sentence appropriate to the crime with no leniency for "fame" and money.

But geez...her stockbrocker called her and said "sell" so she did!  She didn't make any pile of money off the deal.  She just should have 'fessed up when asked about it.

I can see the skits on Saturday Night Live now...Martha decorating her jail cell with gumwrapper wallpaper, making toilet paper doilies and serving tea parties with recycled-license plate tea cups....
biggrin.gif

Martah stewart is the woman i love and love to hate lol. if i was in her position, i would have sold my stock, too. but the stock wasn't worth nearly as much as selling it has cost her.

i agree, people with millions shouldn't get special treatment.

Well, Im sick of seeing Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez go mad!!!
Jennifer Lopez has had 6 boyfrinds and 2 divorces! She also has a bejeweled toilet!!! Why cant she just have a normal toilet?! And why is she still wearing Ben Afflecks ring?! Settle down with 1 man ,woman!!And dont let me talk about Britney Spears! Marying for 55 hours?! Marriage is a holy comitment, not a result from a drunken night out!! She also keeps drinking and flashing in public-why?

ooh ! don't be talkin' 'bout my girls britney and j-ho!!! (lol, i had one for britney but i would have gotten in trouble haha)

it's their business how many boyfriends (and 6 boyfriends isn't alot.. you'll probably have more girlfriends than 6) and how many divorces they want to have.

she can drink as much as she wants, no harm as long as no one gets hurt and isn't an alcohaulic. and i never heard of her flashing people.

and it's jenefers business what type of toilet she has, i never heard it's bejewelled, though. theres nothing wrong with a jewel encrusted toilet if you want to buy one, but i don't believe she has one.

besides, this has nothing to do with anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Marriage is a holy comitment

Thats not what mainstream society thinks.

whats that supposed to mean?

Back