What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100 years ago

In 1904 ...
The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.
The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was 30!!!
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.
There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
Two of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated high school.
Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." (Shocking!)
Eighteen percent of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic. There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.
And I copied this from someone else without typing it myself, and sent it to you in a matter of seconds! Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years ... it staggers the mind.
To add a personal note to this - my grandmother was born in 1902. I liked to listen to her tell stories about how it was when she was a child. Seems like such another world.

NO CANNED BEER???

I couldn't even imagine the horror.

confused.gif
You were god, huh ?

It is interesting to listen to folks from the old days and what life was like. In fact the other day I was talking to this old boy across the street. We were talking about people who live to be 100+ and what it would be like to experience 100 years of change in society, technology, science and life in general. Not too long ago it was pretty common for people to at least be born on a farm and alot lived their life there as well.
Along the same subject Omaha, NE is 150yrs old today, they are having massive fireworks displays and free concerts (311 is one of them) and other stuff. I have a little booklet showing Omaha 120 yrs ago and things were dramatically different.

Joe

No crossword puzzles? How barbaric! I LUV crossword puzzles!
1 Across: Synonym for purple: 8 letters

Back