What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making the constitution useless

• Thread starter Casper
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and you don't need a gun to defend yourself. ever heard of tasers, stun guns, and mace?
May I suggest learning karate?

Maybe ppl should keep one of those keychain guns or the arms above to defend themselves, but not weapons which could pose a threat. If the usage of guns were allowed then I say put a higher punishment on, uhm, 'improper' usage (ie. blasting the crap out of innocent ppl)

hmmm...pepper spray?

Jason

yeah, when an armed criminal breaks into my house, im sure he will be really scared that I know karate, or have pepper spray..
he will probably just lay down his gun and wait for the police to arrive..
great idea..

Scot

I have a carry permit.  I carry.  I know how to use my 1911 laser sighted Colt.  I am a responsible citizen.  I am an American.  It is my right to bear arms for my protection.

As soon as someone can absolutely, positively assure me that criminals will NEVER EVER have a firearm, I will not carry.  Until then....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]May I suggest learning karate?
You serious Jason? Did you even READ my other post?
Karate against a criminal with a gun? You watch too many Jet Li movies. Anyone who is a practitioner of the arts will tell you that if you are threatened with a gun, unless you are ABSOLUTELY 100% SURE they are going to shoot you no matter what, give them whatever they want and DO NOT fight back.

My rhythm guitarist works for the Texas Department of criminal justice. A couple months ago I was speaking with his roommate on the phone. Suddenly I heard a womans voice screaming "expltive, NO,NO,NO" the phone droped. Lots of muffeled rumblings and voices then two loud cracks, hand grabbing the phone---then a dile tone. What had happened was, the guitarist x-wife had come over to remove the rest of her belongings. My friend( lets call Ted) looked out the peep hole to see his x-wife standing at the door. As Ted opened the door her brother came around the corner, and grabbed him by the throat screaming I'm gonna kill you. As they fell to the floor his roommate knocked the intruder off Ted. The brother in law than began his altercation with the roommate. It was apparent at that time this was preceeding beyond a civil altercation. weapons were drawn, Ted with his issued work pistol Gave the command " Do not move stay where your at" twice. As he asked his roomate to call police the intruder lunged at Ted. Ted raised his weapon and fired two shoots, hitting the brother in law on the right lower side and upper left face. Ted was not indited for this incident, although his work piece was held for evidence.

Could this have been resolved without the use of a hand gun? Maybe, but I feel I have the right not to be harmed in my own home. This was not some wacko on the street ! it was this guy's former family. The other guy had no leagle right to carry any type of weapon, you think that stoped him? you think a law would have stoped any of this? No.

It's amazing so many of us survive without guns!

Capslock

It's sad so many don't

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Criminals do not buy guns leagally. Therefore, making it illiegal for an honest law abiding citizen to own a certain type of gun is simply taking ones rights away

people planning crimes, or unidentified crimonals can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ July 20 2004,12:29)]people planning crimes, or unidentified crimonals can.
Finch,

Why in the world, if you're masterminning a crime, would you intentionaly buy a weapon that can be traced back to you?

It's an argument, but I think it would apply more to those who are involved in crimes of passion, or a case where the crime was not premeditated. If you're planning to commit a crime you'd plan to leave as little evidence as possible. Especially considering that through fresenics investigatores will know the caliber of weapon used.

i dont carry a weapon every day unless you count my pocket knife, not much pertection but its not intended to be. i dont plan to aslong as i stay in my current job. HOWEVER i do keep a rifle close at hand at home in my bedroom. we live out in the country along a highway that is notorious for unsavory charicters walking between the 2 nearest towns. i have had several late night interuptions, thank god it has been harmless stuff like nice folks running out of gas or having car trouble but there is always a first time for everything and i never answer the door at 3 am with out a firearm. and someone bent of robbing the place isnt all that unusual here on the Rez. i truely hope i never have to use a firearm against another human being but i aint taking my chances or that of my family.

Rattler

The day I give up my guns is the day I will move to the North Pole and live with Eskimos and eat Whale blubber. The police will have to throw me in prison and ppl can pay for my stay with taxes. It will just be an innocent vicitim in prison that did nothing wrong. If ppl that do not want guns - don't own them. I love hunting most of all and target practicing. If guns are so bad and we should not own them, then how about buck knives, swords, mace, pepper spray, matches, bows, or axes should be banned too. Look at Charles Manson he use a buck knife. Fair is fair.

good point.....did you ever notice most serial killers dont use a gun? those that highjacked the planes on Sept 11 used box cutters.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ July 20 2004,1:27)]If guns are so bad and we should not own them, then how about buck knives, swords, mace, pepper spray, matches, bows, or axes should be banned too. Look at Charles Manson he use a buck knife. Fair is fair.
How about trains, Planes, and automobils !!!! They are responsible for more deaths than guns.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How about trains, Planes, and automobils !!!! They are responsible for more deaths than guns.

And what about pet box turtles? We know THEY'RE deadly!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ July 20 2004,2:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ July 20 2004,1:27)]If guns are so bad and we should not own them, then how about buck knives, swords, mace, pepper spray, matches, bows, or axes should be banned too. Look at Charles Manson he use a buck knife. Fair is fair.
How about trains, Planes, and automobils !!!! They are responsible for more deaths than guns.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]good point.....did you ever notice most serial killers dont use a gun? those that highjacked the planes on Sept 11 used box cutters.

Rattler
Good points. What can you own then? A Nerf Bat.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good points. What can you own then? A Nerf Bat.

Uh-oh...Do I have to cut off my hands now because they're deadly weapons? STOP THE MADNESS!

If guns are bad enough that they should be taken away, why doesn't gov stop using them; cops, federal agents, military,etc... I don't see anybody trying to ban their guns. If any gun is resonsible for truly drestructive action it must be military weapons. Cops and federal agents will NOT hesitate to shoot you for LESS than entering their home. Mind you I'm not knocking cops or agents, as they help the rest of us not have to shoot anyone ourselves but they can't be there 100% of the time in time to make a difference. I have the right to protect my family, why should I have to wait for someone else to get there to protect me and my family.

Joe

well i don't like the government anyway, too many lies.

The Man is always trying to keep me quiet! but i won'y stay quiet anymore! you here me! the truth will be revealed!

thought I would drop my two cents in:

I have a friend who was stationed in panama a few years back. His comment on gun control was "Murders are just more quiet there."

IMHO, the idea of making a law to prohibit the owning of a certain type of firearm, has always been kind of foolish... Who are you trying to keep the guns away from? People who will use them to hurt other people, we already have laws against that, they are Hommicide, Assault w/ fire arm, and on the lower end of the threshhold, one could say poaching...

Why make a law to control people who allready see fit to break it? You think a gang banger's going to turn in his assault rifle because the government says so? no, he says "Yay, less competition, now that all the people who obey the law have turned in their rifles, I got the biggest gun in town."

Foolishness... the day a law like that passes, I will call the police and report my weapons stolen. I can do a lot of damage at 6'5" w/ a baseball bat... but if I can't even get close enough to the person breaking into my home, well, it aint gonna matter. (Granted, I don't need an assault rifle to defend my home) But it is an erosion of rights, and should be fought.

Back