What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My other hobby

the funny thing is Jim, its really not technology, it's just plumbing and pumps... most tech in the tank is 10 years old, the big thing in reef tanks these days, is people are finally figuring out that God designed the best filters, algae soaks up nutriets, take out the algae and share, or feed it to a herbivore fish, wash and throw in your compost heap... nature has the best filtration so far... nothing beets the way it was intended to work, and THAT is the biggest breakthrough in reef keeping, leave no ecological niche unfilled!

A couple pictures of my newest 'pet'.

Meet Rose (affecionately named by my wife.)

2 hours after addition to the tank:
movin_along.jpg

and this morning:

settled_in.jpg

Rose, is a E. Quadricolor Rose Bubble Tip Anemone. She feeds from one a day to once every three days on silversides, shrimp, scallops, or any other seafood i have frozen in the freezer. In the second picture you can see Rompers, my PJ cardinal saying hello.

oh, and the two corals on either side of Rose, while having been there first, will probably be removed... I am waiting to see if Rose will move on to pick another home before I do anything though.

do any of the mentioned creatures ever breed in captivity?

finch-
anemones sometimes split in half and form two seperate anemones, and corals continuoisly spread and divide and grow larger and increase the number of polyp's in a colony. zoanthids and 'shrooms frequently divide and 'shrooms can be cloned, much like a plant, bu cutting it up into little bits and tieing it to a rock.

there have been a few cases where corals and tridacna clams (giant clams who have a symbiotic relation ship with zooxanthelae (sp) algea , like corals) have spawned, but i dunno if anything ever happened, i think the protein skimmer removed alot of the sperm first.

Aaron, do you hang out at any of the reefing forums? I might know you. Btw, Ram, Why do you need a phyto reactor? Also, is that a baby Capnella next to your RBTA?

i used tp have a phyto reactor, too. phytoplankton provides food for corals and baby tridacna clams that are too small for zoox algea , so they have to eat since they aren't getting any energy via photosynthesis.

Hey its awesome to see a fellow CP'er who is also a reefer!!!!!

Hell yea reefing is the best hobby! next to CP's and auto racing of course ;)

I've been reefing since '96 and is my first and foremost passion.

What are you going to be lighting the cube with?

Man is the lighting way stronger in reefing, thats FOR SURE!!!

I have a 100 gallon SPS reef. Its lit by two PFO 400 watt MH 14K hamiltons, w/ two CSL 96 watt actinic 03 PC's along with two 48" 50/50 VHO's. With a giessimann 150 watt DE 12k MH in the center, alittle extra punch for the clams that are all the way at the bottom of the tank.

Hey Rampuppy what company made your skimmer? Thats an awesomely great price for a skimmer, 200 bux? man. I have a custom AquaC skimmer and I payed alot, you don't even want to know. It has a 52" riser tower and dual injectors powered by two pressure rated Gen-x/Mak 4 external pumps rated at 1200 GPH each. It pulls out some of the most disgusting skimmate, every time I clean it I nearly puke, lol. I love skimmers though thats why I went somewhat overkill with mine. My tank only has about 150 gallons of total water volume but my skimmer si rated at 800 - 950 gallon tanks. Do any of you use a calcium reactor? Man I couldn't live without mine, my clams and corals need it so bad. I use a MRC dual chamber CR-6 thats controlled by a pinpoint PH controller. As you can tell I could talk reef all day long....

ph yea and theres no trick to keeping goniopora, no one can. Its a known fact that they should be avoided at all cost. I wish they would stop collecting them, I don't know anyone that can keep them in captivity...
smile.gif

there was one guy who keeps monstrous gonioporas over at reefquariumguide.com it's a forum like terraforums. he's like the Tamlin of reefkeeping lol. his are basketball sized.

i never had a ca reactor, but i dripped kalkwasser in 24/7

are you sure it was goniopora? or was it an avelopora? they look nearly identical only diff is that avelopora has a much better survival rating....

it was goniopora. they were huge and he had 3-5 all in a grouping in one tank. some people think they do better with each other.

Hey guys, to answer your questions:

Yes, it is a baby Capnella. the fact it looks 'next to' the anemone is a misnomer, it is actually far enough away to be safe, optical illusion.

Phyto feeds Copepods and Amphipods (not to mention feather dusters and clams, and the more difficult to keep electric flame scallop I will attempt when the tank is older) One shot at that, if it fails, I won't try again. Anyway, Copepods and Amphipods will feed the mandarin pair I hope to experiment breeding.

Lighting, at this point, will be a 20K 400w, and a 14K 400W, paired with 26" quad VHO's probably 2 Actinic and 2 10K.

My current skimmer is an aqua C remora Pro, and it rocks. it is rated for 100 gallon tank, and it's on a 30!
smile.gif
When I get the cube, the skimmer, sump, refugium, and calcium reactors will all be custom made by a very talented fella in my local aquarium society.

My tank is mixed softies and sps, my favorite critter was my electric blue hermit, he unfortunately is no longer with us, I lost all my crabs a few months ago to something unknown (pathogen, not predator) I slapped a ton of carbon on the tank and filtered it like mad for a few weeks, Now I have about 10 dwarf zebras going strong, the mithrax never died, but he will be finding a new home, pacific only! he's carribean.

Well, my wife and I went to Port Aransas and the texas state aquarium this last week, and she is now fallen in love with Porcupine puffer fish... so, there are plans to put up another 115 cube in december as his home. (he won't go in for a couple of months of course) we are also thinking of setting up a 200 gallon tank as a headboard to our kingsized bed... that will probably be stocked with Radiata Lions, per haps an electric blue lion if i can find one, and a Fu Man Chu Lion... nothing but lions... the absolute sexiest fish on the reef. (Except maybe for mandarins!)

electric blue lion? wow i've never seen one of those before!

and i think the aquarium as a headboard is an awesomly fabulous idea, that is so cool!

an electric blue lion still looks like your normal dendrochus lion, but the back of the pectoral fins have a brilliant electric blue streak going around them. (replace a white streak with a blue one.) as far as I know they have been imported into the american hobby only one time.

Yeah, I really like the idea of a headboard, but planning it OI! the only thing I can think of, is the bed will have to be in the middle of the room, tank as headboard, and then another space on the other side of the tank for maintenance (wouldn't spilling saltwater on your pillows suck?) In my minds eye, I think it would be awesome to drill the tank in the middle bottom, so the overflow is in the middle of the tank, and have the lighting, everything, coming back up through that over flow, no messy cables and stuff anywhere, then, you could slap a couple recliners behind the tank, and not only do your maintenance from that side, but have a nice sitting area as well.

you could put the tank in the wall, then move your bed to the back of the wall that way the tank is your headboard and you can do work behind the scenes on the other side of the wall.

that would require there being another room present... and since we are renting, modification to the house that would in the long run, be a loss of money. No thanks!
smile.gif

How about a Blue Ribbon Eel or a Marine Betta? Pinatus Bat? Sorry, I get lost on the hardlines. Start mentioning fish again and I perk up.
biggrin.gif

marine betta's are so pretty, but they are so reclusive!

Talk about reclusive - one of my favorites is the Dragon Wrasse.

all good choices, I have a passing interest in panther groupers, ore blue spot groupers.. there are so many dazzlingly beautiful fish out there. My wife won't have anything to do with eals they ahh.. 'creep her out'... I can't say I blame her... they just stare at ya with a mouth full of teeth.. though, I do like snoflake eels, I don't think I have the skill to keep them just yet, they are rather delicate I understand.

I have some black ocillarius clowns on order for the reef, I'll be sure to post them when they come in.

Back