What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

55 gallon aquarium

he guys my mom was driving to the store and when she came home she had a 55 gallon aquarium that she said someone was throwing out,She gave it to me and said i could use it as a terrarium, and iwant you guys' input on what type i should make, I'm kinda leaning towards peter d'amatos one where all you do is put the pots in with lights above them because of the low maitenence Anyway I'll post a pic when i get it all set up

I would go with that suggestion, but you might consider lying the tank on its side so the top faces you. This will put the lights closer to the plants, and allows easy access to the inside as well as giveing you more floor space for pots. The front can have a loose drape of plastic. All you need is to find a tray or two to fit the bottom to hold water.

I like Tamlins idea, but I would worry the glass would strip some of the light quality, this is a known issue in the aquarium world, not so sure about it for plant application.

I have a 'natural' style terrarium, and I honestly, have had nothing but problems... I would keep evreything in pots. not as pretty, but far more functional.

Hey! That's a great idea Tamlin! Oh, man...Looks like it's back to do some more rearranging....

The light cutback is a real issue.  Frankly, I do not cultivate much in terraria as I feel it is a waste of light in my conditions.  Using a rack is the best way to go in my opinion, but every grower has their preferences.  I had a substrate terrarium for close to a decade, but eventually things went bad and it cost me my entire former collection.  I was as meticulous as a person could be with water purity and removing dead matter.  I now advise that pots be used.  I hope your results are better than mine were Ram.

JLAP,

I think a minimum of 2 shoplights is advisable. My terrarium uses 4 shoplights and I get fair results. I use the terrarium for starting out plants, propagation and for some finicky humdidity lovers and as a hospital for recovering plants.

umm you can call me clint, tamlin, and i'm not sure what your talking about? i do have 4 lights over my terrarium...

i didn't even post in this thread untill now, so i'm not sure why that's directed toward me-am i missing something?
biggrin.gif

Back