What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cps & college

Well I am going away to college soon and I fear I will have to leave my poor plants at home. Sad, I know. However, I have talked to my professor about my plants and he has told me that if I send him a growlist he would contact the "plant guy" at UK. So I might be able to bring them if the guy wants them. Maybe he might want me to set up a display. One can only hope. I love to spread the joy of growing CPs around.

[side note] On July 6th I did a presentation about CPs to a local Master Gardening Club. I did a power point and brought some of my plants to show. I mainly addressed the many types of CPs in the world and the basic growing tips. I got great feedback from them.

Coolness. I was in a similar situation as you last year. I found a compact fluorescent bulb in a simple clip-on lamp attached to the side of a 10 gallon tank made a serviceable home for my CPs while in my dorm. Thankfully my sweet new apartment has a back deck that faces the sun, so only the D. adelae will need the light
biggrin.gif

If your university has a greenhouse, couldnt you just ask if you could have some space to keep your plants?
rather than "donate" them, maybe the university would allow you to continue to own them, as your personal plants, but give you space to keep them..
(assuming you dont have too many!)
and of course you would still be responsible for taking care of them..but you wouldnt mind that im sure!
smile.gif

You know you're addicted when you pay $$$ to ship your plants over to the US half the world round.
smile_m_32.gif

I brought all my CP's to college. At times it was a little inconvenience for my roommates because I would have to crawl through their computers to water them (they were on the windowsill) However after a while they started to think they were cool once our room became a bit of an attraction so to speak:;):

It's too bad you don't go the university where my wife is now a professor. she was put in charge of the university's greenhouse. i will at least be putting my sarracenia seedlings in there for the winter
smile.gif

If your university has a greenhouse, couldnt you just ask if you could have some space to keep your plants?

I haven't really thought about that, but, I am for sure going to have my terrarium in my dorm. It has my Ceph and Nepenthes in it.

I'm taking at least two of my neps(alata highland & sanguinea 'orange') to college. I'd take the whole collection, but the dorm rooms are rather small....My roomate is so awesome though! She said she will not mind at all having bright growlights in the room.
biggrin.gif

Back