What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to water propagate plants

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
heres my reasoning behind the experiment, plants make sugar via photosynthesis, sugar is energy, so the sugar we eat must be like granular energy, right?

well i took 2 D. adelae leaves, same size. i placed one in a glass of pure water, and the second one in a glass with 3 tsp. of sugar mixed in. it's been several weeks (some of you might remember when i tore my adelae plants apart) and the one in sugar water has about twice as many plantlets, though still small, they are much larger than the one in pure water. both leaves are fully submerged.

i change the water and sugar water ever other day. they are in the same windowsill side by side.

hope this works! my experiments of feeding neps sugar inspired this. my next project is feeding drosera and pings granular sugar.

we'll see!

the leaves were also from the same clone, i don't think i mentioned that.

oh yeah-

the leaves in sugar water produced more buds than the leaves on soil and in pure water.

shugar is the product of phptosyntheses after all

I replied on the other forum as well.

I've been experimenting with this sugar water also. I've had great results using it. I do not use just water though. I place my cuttings on a soil mixture of peat moss, perlite, and LFS. I then mix water, sugar, and fungicide into the mix. I added fungicide to the mix because I was afraid that the sugar water would cause fungus and mold in the soil. I place my leaf cuttings on top the soil and drench the soil. I use regular water after the first soil soaking when watering.
I first tried this mix after many ceph cuttings that would start to grow roots and then fail. I only got one leaf cutting to ever be successful with plain water. So I got creative last year and tried the sugar / fungicide mix. I have had great results with this and several people now have cephs I used this method by.
I have not tried it with any other plants yet, mainly because the ceph is my my best plant to easily propogate, and always seems to be in demand for trades. I also have limited room to experiment with other plants.

we should be in the books, elgecko! we are pioneers in plant propagation!!

Well in theory it could work, never tried it b4...

Nice find JLAP!
smile.gif

Jason

Ps. but aren't the plants supposed to be carnivorous?
smile_m_32.gif

hey, even cp's have a sugar tooth!

.... i just hope they don't get diabetes... the last thing i need is to have to give insulin shots in my bladder... worts.

LOL!
laugh.gif
I guess its better to feed them with nautral forms of energy, or simple sugars, than with artifical fertilizers.

Although I still think insects are the most benificial...maybe I'll do a 'balanced diet' sort of thing...
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

i just took a leaf of N. Ventrosica "red form" and N. Gracilis x ampullaria to try this i hope i have the same succed since i'm using neps instead

leaves of nepenthes won't root. you need a section of the vine with a couple nodes.

Wow. Who'da thunk it? Rooting hormone be darned! I may have to try this out...I could use another ceph....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 26 2004,11:39)]we should be in the books, elgecko! we are pioneers in plant propagation!!

JustLikeAPill,
I would bet that those with nurseries might have already tried this and use it regularly. They would not want to tell there little secret.

schloaty,
Have you tried to propagate your ceph before, and how were the results?
Well how sill of me, I guess if you could use another one, if you tried leaf cutting before they were unsuccessful.

That's what tissue culture does - feed the plants sugar - except in the cultures you've got a sterile environment so there is not problem with mold. However, I had never thought of doing this outside of the cultures. Sounds interesting!
Peter

I'm not a chemist, but isn't the sugar we use sucrose (a disaccharide) and isn't the sugar plants use glucose (a monosaccharide), and doesn't that mean the leaf would have to break down sucrose into glucose? How does it do that - or can plants use sucrose?

got me. i know humans break down sucrose into glucose and that's what blood sugar tests show, i think?

all i know is that it works
biggrin.gif

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't all sugar the same? The only difference if I remember is the arrangement of C6h12O6 or the arrangement of the carbon, hydrogen, and Oxygen

rubrarubra,
When I was doing research on tissue culture, sugar was was used in every mix. That's were I got the idea of trying sugar water and funguscide.
My success rate with my ceph was 16% with plain water. Then I decided I can not do any worse and tried the sugar / fuguscide mix. My success rate went up to 83%.
I just took a few leaf cuttings this past weekend and added another extra ingredient into my mix. I added a drop of Superthirve.

Back