What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first "real person" sculpt

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
In a pique of inspiration I just happened to start sculpting Anton LaVey, while not completely done I think it's getting pretty close tonight. I wish the sun was still up so I could get all the details. These are the best pics I could get indoors. The neck looks long but it will be a ball and socket (so it's "poseable" on the finished model.

lavey.jpg

lavey1.jpg

lavey2.jpg

lavey3.jpg

lavey4.jpg

Mainly it's just the tiniest of details which need to be finished and I think I've completed my first likeness sculpt, what do you think?

BTW this head is in my normal 1/6th scale size of 1.5 inches high.

Its really good, looks so real its kind of scary!! Great job
smile_n_32.gif

Wow, that looks really nice. That always amazes me that people can sculpt like that. I can't sculpt to save my butt! Good job!
biggrin.gif

Why in the heck did you shoose Anton for your sculpt? I could think of better subjects, and Anton wouldn't be one of them. Still, it is an excellent work.

haha I was thinkin the same thing considering... who he is. But to each his own and I guess when youre done you could turn it into a voodoo doll ... seems fitting although I dont think Id wanna be on his bad side.
All that aside you did a darn good job! Very well done.

Awsome Sculpt Swords!! The detail on and around the eyes is amazing! My uncle used to be a great sculpter, but my grandparents would'nt help him get to art school
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ July 28 2004,8:34)]haha I was thinkin the same thing considering... who he is.
Who IS he?
I have no clue..never heard of him..

Excellent job! And...uh...I don't know who he is either.
smile_h_32.gif

But very good likeness and detail.

LaVey self created himself as the first Satanic Pope and leader/founder of The Church of Satan, wrote a few books on the beauty of Satanism which enjoyed some popularity some decades ago based on some fabricated occult nonsense. His books were a collection of lies and perverted truth, but I suppose this was all in character for a Satanic Pope. The Sixties media sure sucked it up. HE is down below now, rubbing shoulders with little red guys with horns and pointed tails. Probably for the best....could you see wings and a halo on this guy??

I detested the man for his "Witch's Workshops", which had absolutely nothing to do with Wicca and cast further confusion on what Wicca was really about. (Wiccans do not even regognize the Christian concept of Satan or a Devil, let alone do homage to him!).

This is an apt rendition of his ugly visage: a masterful work by an obviously skilled and profoundly talented artist.

To each his own I guess.

laugh.gif

I figured this would probably be a controversial sculpt! A bit of a departure from the Calvin and Hobbes and other cartoony stuff I'd been doing lately. I'm just seeing what's possible for me to do, I might tackle a more known famous person next.
I've always been a  big fan of Christopher Walken both as "himself" in the movies or as "the Continental" from his various Saturday Night Live shows.

Also wrote the satanic bible. Hm... I didnt know he was dead I guess the voodoo doll idea is outta the question

still dont care who he is, but the sculpture looks great

People on the toy sculpture board tell me he could also be considered as Ming the Mercilless (from I think Flash Gordon) so if you envision him with a leather skullcap...
biggrin.gif

Wow, that is awesome!

I tried a bit of sculptin with milliput, back when I was way more into painting warzone miniatures...
My attempts were all crap, but that one is far better than MANY production models out there!

Keep up the awesome work, I just love to see such talent!

My deepest respect /Quensel

PS. Really cool that you chose Mr. LaVey as a subject
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Quensel,

Thanks for the comments! I've never tried sculpting in Milliput (haven't found it anywhere either though). Were you sculpting those 28 mm miniatures? Those are impossible for me! I've tried to recreate a Warhammer Fantasy Battles miniature in 56 mm(double size) and  it was horrible! I've recently found out that those production minis are actually originally sculpted at about 85 mm and pantographed down at the manufacturing plant to be the standard 28 mm size. Still that's a really amazing size to get all the details that those guys are able to do a whole figure that size!

I like to use Super Sculpey (you can get it at any  craft related store). It has an indefinate working time until you bake it. After which it turns into a plastic like product which can then be sanded, polished and painted or cut apart and molded in silicone for toy/model kit manufacturing. If you ever  wanna try sculpting again grab a block of this stuff and some small knitting needles (I have tons of tools but anton was done entirely with knitting needles). Outside the US if Super Sculpey isn't available look for Fimo by Eberhard Faber or Premo, Granitex or any "polymer clay" product. They're all generally the same. You smooth out tool marks and remove fingerprints with rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid (careful kiddies) and just bake for 20 minutes per 1/4 inch of thickness at 200*F, any higher it will usually blacken or crack-even though the packages always say 275*F for some reason...

Sorry for the ramble!
smile.gif

Swords, you possess tremendous talent! Regardless of your subject matter, you have a gift most only dream of having.

Thank you very much Greenhouse!
To be honest I really only started sculpting about 6 months ago. I'm pretty confident anyone can sculpt if they can envision what they want their thing to look like. Generally I like to draw a picture first if I'm doing something fantasy or use a bunch of photos at different angles for real people. I've always been into drawing so I guess sculpting is kind of like drawing but in 3d.

I was just doing this guy as another sample for my portfolio but after showing it around there's a possibility Anton (the finished bust sculpt) will be purchased for production! These were just some in progress pics but it'll be my first "sculpting job" if I get paid for completing it!
biggrin.gif

Back