What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whoooooooooooohoooooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ July 30 2004,5:08)]I can do all that witout mercilesley slaughtering innocent animals.
Dino
Starman
To go around saying hunting animals in the wild is mercilesly slaughtering innocent animals is not appropriate.

You have voiced your opinion and that is fine. As have others. There are many valid reasons for both sides of the discussion. Lets keep it at that.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ July 30 2004,2:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 30 2004,5:01)]never said killing an animal was fun. i take the killing of an animal very seriously. anything other than a clean quick kill is frowned appon. and infact an animal that has its self pumped up from being poorly shot generally tastes quite bad. the experiance of hunting is an absolute blast though. your out in beautiful country, seeing all kinds of critters landscapes and plants. i dont go out and shoot anything that moves.

Rattler
I can easily go to the countryside here and see all kinds of orchids and animals, plants and maybe CPs such as Drosera rotundifolia, I can do all that witout mercilesley slaughtering innocent animals.
Dino
Dude, He does it to feed his family, there is nothing malicious in his actions. This is a natural thing.. Please realize he takes no joy in the act of killing.. more in the action of eating
smile.gif
, If you wanted to argue the point that killing an animal to feed people.. just the act of it, is inhumane.. then you best start thinking about the aptly named slaughterhouses again. Go to any part of the world and you will likely find stalls that offer freshly killed meat, In Penang there are Day markets that hold small animals for sale for food, and offer pork and beef from hooks.
It's food, all of it. He's not hunting for the kill.
--
Doubt that helped any hehe.. but there's not much a 14 year old can talk about.
That said, Gratz Rattler, as I understand some of those tags are rather hard to get, I've known some people who have waited years.

I have never hunted in my life, and I very likely never will,
but I totally support hunters and am totally in favor of hunting in general..
if someone eats meat and says "ohh boo hoo, poor innocent animals, hunters are so cruel" they should feel ashamed..and they are very ignorant..
they should PREFER they get their meat from hunters rather than the supermarket!!
beef (or pork, or chicken, etc) bought from a store came from animals that had terrible lives, raised and killed on factory farms, never to know freedom..personally, I think getting meat from "the wild" is MUCH better!!
and besides, its totally natural..humans are omnivores, we naturally eat meat and plants..we were made to hunt..we just happen to be at the top of the food chain! ;)

only strict vegans have the right to say "ohh boo hoo poor innocent animals!"
smile_m_32.gif
thats fine then..

all my life I have had relatives who hunt..I have had lots of venison! yum!
and I just had Elk last year, and it was great!

If I were a deer, I would prefer to go quickly by a gun shot or an arrow, rather than slowly die of starvation because the deer populations are out of control..hunting is better for the deer..in general..maybe not so good for some individual deer! ;) but its much healthier for the whole population..
and..its the way the Great Spirit intends it, its the way he designed the world..for all of us, humans and deer alike..
does anyone get upset when a cheetah brings down a gazelle?
when a housecat kills a rat?
when a Eagle snatches a fish out of the water?
thats no different than people going hunting..
Scot

Starman
Humans have altered the earth greatly and the vast majority of extinct species are the result, not from hunting but larger changes in environment. Your getting really off topic here.

Tony

the tags im after arent terribly hard. an antlerless elk tag i can get on the average of every 3 years, if im lucky more often. pronghorn is more or less a sure thing. but than again im a resident and am not necessarily looking for a record book animal. antlerless tags are usually 1 in 4 odds for elk where i hunt. if i was only after horns than it would be more like 1 in 150. for antelope you usually get tags 2 out of 3 years. deer A tags are over-the-counter and a sure thing for residents. the B tags are either a sure thing or 50/50 depending on which tag your after. deer populations are fairly high over here so getting tags is easy.

Rattler

i keep forgeting to add, just because Darla got the elk tag really doesnt guareentee the animal. its free range animals on public land. deer and antelope tags are easy to fill. the elk can take some serious work.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ July 30 2004,5:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ July 30 2004,5:14)]Why can't humans hunt but all other animals can? Many animals are crippled by other animals and that is ok but humans do that is not? Accidents happen while hunting animals, not every animal is going to be killed. If hunting does not kill them urban sprawl will or disease.
I ask you to look around and to see how much damage humans have done with their precious hunting. Every dodo was killed, they are now gone for ever because of humans. Open your eyes. Many more animals are endangered because of humans. And so are many plants.
Dino
Exactly that is called urban sprawl. Things are regulated better but our population is getting out of hand and animals suffer. Hunting back in the day was different when you are talking about the dodo birds.

Why doesnt he just go to the supermarket then?
confused.gif

I know that humans have hunted out and killed every single dodo because of hunting. Why? The dodos are now gone forever, just because of humans and hunting. I think that you are all making me change my mind for me to think that hunting is O.K. I wont change my mind about it, same as rattler wont change his mind about it either. And yeas scotty, I am always close to tears when I see tigers kill gazzeles. I get upset when tigers and lions kill zebras.
I also get rather upset when I see a housecat kill a mouse. Thats one of the reasons why I dont really like cats.
Dino

I do not care to change your mind Starman. Sorry if I came across like that, everyone has the right to their opinion and I respect it.
smile.gif
We all just have to learn to deal with different opinions.
smile.gif

I don't think anyone is trying to change anyones mind. But to realize that there is more than one side and each side has it's reasons which are equally valid. That and to be respectful of differing opinions you may not agree on.

As to why not just go to the grocery store I think was answered by Rattler at least once. He has offered his opinions on grocery store meat vs wild game meat.

Tony

I love the excitement of the hunt, and the rewards that follow. Tigers killing zebras is the circle of life, deal with it.

must admit that elk hunting one time when my moms ex-boyfriend took me 10+ yrs ago was an absolute blast. Its the thrill of the chase, the take down and the pride in being a provider in a natural sense. It would be a different thing to say I love the gushing blood etc......... but thats NOT whats being said. All things must kill or be killed, its life and its natural. Rattler stated rather plainly and truthfully that sloppy shooting is frowned upon and even more so the idea of useless killing (throwing away meat and hides, etc..)
I am pretty sure nobody will ever force you to hunt anything, BUT do not make hunters out to be savage or call them anything but hunters.

Joe

Thats cool, I am a city kid too so I don't get out in wildlife much. I do enjoy such things though and very much support it. Have fun

Joe

I am just thrilled to learn a new name for pronghorn antelope.

smile_n_32.gif

We had a hunting vs no hunting situation in NE....10 or so years ago. There is a forest in the Omaha area called Fontanelle Forest. It's protected. Anyway there are loads of deer there. The local ranger suggested hunting them to weed them out, as there are no natural predators(there is a very rare sighting of mountain lions, once in a blue moon) . They fired him for suggesting such a thing. Five years later, most of the deer were sick from chronic wasting disease, because there was an overpopulation of them. They tried to remedy it by issuing permits, but nobody wanted to hunt sick deer.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ July 30 2004,11:36)]And yeas scotty, I am always close to tears when I see tigers kill gazzeles. I get upset when tigers and lions kill zebras.
I also get rather upset when I see a housecat kill a mouse. Thats one of the reasons why I dont really like cats.
Dino
Dude. It's *LIFE*. God created lions, cheetahs and whathaveyou to be predators, to eat meat. He created gazelles and whatnot to eat vegetation, and to be preyed upon by the predators. It's the food chain. Starts with the minute little microbes, ends with us.

Everything has to eat. Deal with it.

I can't stand it when poeple hunt just for sport, for no reason at all, but rattler hunts to feed his family, and I have no problem with that. We are predators. We kill naturally to eat, and we therefore keep the population of certain animals down. Starman, are you a vegetarian? I think not. So you have no right to have a fit about killing and eating animals just because you think it's wrong. Carnivorous plants kill, you now. They kill bugs. Gonna have a hissy about that?

I will admit you have a good heart and you are compassionate, but don't be a fool. Like I said, everything has to eat.

You know, it's a fact that, because of all this soft food and crap that we're eating and because of so many people becoming vegetarians, that our mouths and jaws are getting smaller and smaller. *gnaws on some tough beef jerky* I ain't lettin' that happen.

laugh.gif
at FTG

It is a bit ironic to be knocking hunters and posting it on a carnivorous forum. We are not the top of the food chain just the smartest (well not all but.....in general) In a natural setting without technology we would be prey for a few larger animals. Kill or be killed. Whether it be from an attack or disease from refusal to consume the proper foods (ie..meat)

Joe

I could probably never killl an animal, but have faced the facts and don't mind hunters at all if they do everything for the right reasons.
An animal that is hunted has a much better life then say those of a farm massed produced factory where conditions are HORRIBlE!
Chickens are crowded into little spaces for their short life span being parlysed and having wings and legs that most of the time don't work and workers leave them like that for a long time.  They are injected with hormones which make them grow faster and makes them unporportional causing lots of health problems for them and for the people who eat them.  That is why the future human generations are starting purberty earlier, it is because of the hormones from the meat we eat.
Pigs are overfed, cramped in their cage and abused with torture their whole lives.
Killing them isn't the most humane either, most of them get hung upside down with their throats cut until they bled to death.  The killing of many chickens are worse to where they are litterally plucked alive and moving.
It's like this, would you rather live life in prison and be safe from the outside elements like guns and get killed anyways, or spend life with freedom with the risk of being robbed, shot, ect...
When the Dodo's became extinct that was back then where licsences and stuff where easy to get and their research and stuff was hardly developed even... that would never happen today except maybe for poachers and what not.
Like most people said again, hunting makes refuges and saves land from being destroyed.  Without hunting, who would want to keep bears alive?  
So even though you hate hunting, if you eat meat from the store the animals where probably tortured you are kind of contradicting yourself.

Thanks to everyone for keeping this civil and for voicing a number of different opinions so that we may all hopefully learn a little from each other.

I am locking this now as I believe it has run it's course and I don't want to see it go way off topic or turn ugly at this point.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back