What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the presidencial fense sitters...

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date
Gee I do not think I am that left? I can not stand either Bush or Kerry.
confused.gif

Kucinich 92
Kerry 76
Bush 0

No surprise in that ranking, but I'm curious how it does the scoring. Does Bush get a high ranking or low ranking if someone's concerned about national security? He's made the US more insecure than would have seemed possible a couple years ago.

If you click on compare the candidates you'll see how it gets the score.

Don't feel alone, PAK. Remember I'm a flaming liberal, like any good college student
smile_n_32.gif

Kerry: 84%
Kucinich (AKA, The Littlest Democrat): 76%
Bush: 13% (No surprise here)

I already knew there was no way I was gonna vote for Bush (Not that it matters in VA), but with Kerry's voting record being what it is I don't feel like I can trust him any more than Bush. I'm just gonna vote Kerry and pray for Giuliani to run in 2008 and save us all o/

I would love for Giuliani to run for president!
I was totally impressed with him as Mayor of NYC..even before 9/11.
he did a fantastic job..

this quote from him was recently in the news, I love it!
laugh.gif

"Mr. Giuliani delivered a tart response to a reporter who wanted to know whether the former New York City mayor had seen Mr. Moore's hit movie "Fahrenheit 9/11" and what he thought of it.
"I can't tell you. I haven't seen it. I don't really need Michael Moore to tell me about September 11"

I still want to go and see that movie!
although I know its going to be REALLY scary..
not scary because of what Moore "reveals"..im sure that will be an absolute comedy..
but really scary because so many believe his fiction is truth..
smile_h_32.gif

scary because of the amazing brainwashing that is going on in this country..but..I do want to see it anyway..its good to be informed.
Scot

I have one question.

Does this poll change week to week with Kerry's views? Or is it taken from his views at one set time?

I am appalled by the reasons some of you consider important in selecting our next president.  My God people get your priorities straight.
Have you forgotten the sight of those towers collapsing.  Get real here people.  We are at war. There is a large group of nut cases out there whose sole purpose in life is kill you and destroy the civilized world as we know it.  Our very survival as a nation is on the line here.  If you don’t understand that…please do not bother to vote in November.
All of the other issues are not relevant at this time in history.   Gay marriage, prayer in schools, oil drilling in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge all sound very noble but none of these will make a bit of difference if you are blown up by a car bomb detonated by a bunch of animals that want you to pray five times a day and keep your wife home wrapped up in a towel.

There is one question and one question only that should be on this questionnaire.
-Which candidate will do the best job in keeping the United States secure against attack from Muslim extremists?

Casper asks “Does this poll change week to week with Kerry's views? Or is it taken from his views at one set time?” Very good question Casper.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Aug. 03 2004,11:10)]Our very survival as a nation is on the line here.  
Hardly.

I think it would be pretty scary, as a nation, if we voted for our president based solely on who would do the better job of defending our country against terrorists. Especially when you know that it's not going to matter who's president. Bush and Clinton both had information about planes being hijacked well before 9/11. Did that help either of them stop it?

Lauderdale, we should get out of Iraq and go after the terrorists then!

Seriously, I almost lost a close relative in the WTC attacks (he was late to a meeting in the towers where everyone else was killed.) I don't think there's an American out there who doesn't take it seriously. There's just a difference of opinion on exactly what SHOULD be done about an elusive, undefined, disorganized, faceless opponent.

Capslock

Capslock

Lauderdale, that's a hair alarmist.  While I agree that we need someone to defend us against terrorist, I don't think we are currently going about it the right way.  We're certainly doing some things right, but there are other ways that we should also explore IN CONJUNCTION with what we are currently doing.  

If you only the fight the symptoms (terrorism, extremists), the disease will continue to fester.  Poverty, no education, starvation, drought...these are the diseases that cause the symptoms.  We can kill extremists until we're blue in the face, but if don't address the reasons why people BECOME extremists, there will always be more.

I don't know if Kerry will do this, but I do know Bush won't.  All he likes to do is blow people up.  This may be needed, but we also have to attack the SUPPLY of those people that "need to be blown up." Burn the candle at both ends, as they say.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kerry administration to try and get more votes so it automatically sways you that way

I think its because that the forum has a high porportion of lefties here

I disagree that we should pull our troops immidiatly out of iraq. I think many of us want them out, but abandoning the people of Iraq, even if they hate our guts, to islamic extremists is only going to breed resentment and justify their attaks. And who do you think has the power and stammina to take control if we just pull out immidiatly? Not the Iraqi people thats for shure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't know if Kerry will do this, but I do know Bush won't. All he likes to do is blow people up. This may be needed, but we also have to attack the SUPPLY of those people that "need to be blown up." Burn the candle at both ends, as they say.

I have to disagree with you. There will ALWAYS be extremists, always have and always will be. There will always be people that hate the US because we have it better than them, or we see things differently. Giving away more money will not solve this. Heck, we catch flack because we give money (read a 15 BILLION dollar GIFT) to the wrong foundation.

I am on the other side. I think the way you deal with terrorism is by making it a truely frightfull act. If these extremists know that if they commit an act of terrorism on the United States that their entire country will feel the full might of the US millitary than they will think twice.

The U.S. has become a superpower because we where feared. While the world feared us we where relitivly safe. Now we are viewed as a U.N. led bunch of yes 'mans. As such, the fear is gone and you have idiots thinking they can "bring the US down".

Personally, I am glad we are re-instating some of that fear right now.

An ounce of prevention....

The point is, though, that the terrorists were mostly Saudi, and trained in Afghanistan. They follow a fairly widespread Islamist philosophy of sharia law that is found in Iran, financed and supported in Saudi Arabia, and scattered elswhere about the Middle East. So, it makes no sense to attack the secular military dictatorship of Iraq in response to terrorism. Sure, Saddam was evil in his own right, but it's foolish to like him with 9/11 or with the problem of Islamic terrorists. They are different issues, and frankly the invasion of Iraq has hurt the war on terrorism by fanning the flames of anti-US sentiment, draining our resources, and spreading our troops too thin to effectively hunt down actual terror.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have to disagree with you. There will ALWAYS be extremists, always have and always will be. There will always be people that hate the US because we have it better than them, or we see things differently. Giving away more money will not solve this. Heck, we catch flack because we give money (read a 15 BILLION dollar GIFT) to the wrong foundation.
Casper, I don't completely disagree with you, but I DO think there are shades of grey in your black and white statment. I fully support the invasion. Please note that I said "in addition" to what we're currently doing. I now we can probably never completely eliminate extremism, but surely we can limit it by limitting the environment that fosters it. I beleive that in the short run, a show of force is nesescary, and in the long run education is nescesasry. The problem with giving monetary gifts is that people see it as some sort of boast. Give them education, and they can make their own money. It won't happen tomorrow, and know that patience is in short supply, however I don't really see any other acceptable alternative. You know the old saying, give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

And while we're teaching those who are willing to learn, and lead their country into a better tomorrow, I see nothing wrong with laying the smack down on those who try to do us harm.

I gotta rock bottom for Osama right here....

I say we take a bunch of over-weight football fans that just eat brats, chili, and sauerkraut and gas them out with their farts!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Then when we catch Osama have them do some slam dancing and to balance the budget put it on Pay-Per-Veiw.
smile_n_32.gif

I have a friend that says we should just send over some silk boxers and adult entertainment....No one wants to hurt anyone after that....
laugh.gif

I agree with Caspar..there is no reasoning with them..
there is no "talking to them nicely"..
the only way to stop them is to KILL them...kill them all..
because they want to kill us all..

trying to "help" them wont do a thing to change their views..
Iraq actually PROVES that!
yes, we invaded Iraq and they hate us MORE!
we are HELPING a huge population of the arab world by invading Iraq and overthrowing Saddam..and they hate us more for it..
why?
because they dont WANT our help..
they dont care if we are nice to them or evil to them..
it doesent matter either way..
there will ALWAYS be Islamic extremists who will hate us no matter what we do..
leave them alone? they will hate us.
try to help them? they will hate us.

you people dont get it..THEY WANT TO KILL US ALL!!!!!!!!!!
they are WORKING on killing us all!!
no amount of talking or diplomacy will make any difference..
what good did 8 years of Clinton do?
absolutely nothing..
it makes no difference whatsoever what president is in office..
do you think the terrorists will say "oh! Kerry is president now!
ok, we will just sit back and do nothing for 4 years, put all our plans on hold until an evil republican is in office again"
nope..they dont care about our minisclue differences between democrats and republicans..it makes no difference to them..we are still Americans no matter who is in office..
the DIFFERENCE is how our president deals with THEM..
they will treat us the same no matter what..
they will still try to kill us no matter what..
we need a president who goes after them..
who hunts them down.
who uses our military to smoke them out and kill them where they live..
its the only way we will survive..
be strong or die.
kill or be killed..
this is WAR people..we cant afford to be nice to the enemy..
they will show us no mercy.

our president is doing a GREAT job of fighting terrorism..
one simple fact proves that..
how many terrorist attacks have there been on US soil since 9/11?
umm..none.
why?
because we are going after them!
HURTING them!
KILLING them before they can kill us!!
destroying their networks!
do you honestly believe that if we had a wuss president in office during 9/11 who said "well..we just need to talk to them..we need to *understand* them..we need to help make their lives better..yes, thats all we need to do"..
that would have helped!?!
nope,it would have made things MUCH WORSE...
if they saw we were that weak they would have taken advatage and stepped up their campaign even more!
more bombings in the US!
more Americians killed..

its like your car..preventative maintance is WORKING when NOTHING happens!!!
the war on terror is WORKING because we arent being attacked!!!
its really that simple..

My dear Scotty, you missed the point of my post....You ARE right about those who are ALREADY extremists. They are a lost cause, and they need to be stopped. HOWEVER the average Iraqi is just like the average American. They don't really want to kill anyone. Some of then are even eager to learn how to rebuild their own country. THOSE are the ones, I would argue, should be given education.

As for any that do raise arms against us, well, they should be dealt with. However, you cannot condemn the masses for the actions of a few. It seems like your perception of them as all evil, death seeking pschopaths may have been slightly colored by propoganda. Only bad news makes money, so all you'll ever hear about are the bad people over there. You won't hear about the average Joe just trying to feed his family.

Back