What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New camera

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
Well, I put a few new picture on my computer today from my digital camera, and I saw that with those new pictures, I have taken over 2000 pictures with my new Canon Powershot A80 that I got in February.  Didn't realize that I had taken that many.  So if you think that it takes about $10 or so to get a roll of film developed (double prints price i think)......and we'll go with a 24 exposure film.........that's $833 of film that I would've had to get developed, not to mention the price of the film itself.  And the camera was $300..........that's alot of savings!
biggrin.gif

well yeah..
except you dont have ANY pictures at all!
(physical prints)
and if you have a hard-drive crash, you could lose all of those 2,000 pictures forever..(unless you back-up to CD's!)

im still living in both worlds..
I work at Kodak, on the digital side, but film is still a big part of what we do..
I have owned a digital camera for many years now,
but I really only use it for photos for my webpages..
stuff I know I only want and need in digital form..

for "serious" photos, like vacations, I still shoot film..
My fiance and I are going to Maine for a week next week..
I plan to bring my 35mm SLR and about 20 rolls of film!
and not bring the digital camera at all..
I want prints, because I still make photo albums,
and I have lost digital photos before..
I have had a few flash cards die before I got the photos off of them, photos were lost forever..
not willing to risk that with vacation shots!
film still has its place there..
so its a transitional world with photography right now..
film and digital still have their place..
I know lots of people who will NEVER go digital..
my parents will never own a computer in their lives,
they have zero use for a digial camera..
so digital is fine if thats what you want!
for me, film is still better for "serious" photography..
Scot

Weird Poetic.
smile_n_32.gif
Oy Tamlin! Think of a nice ending Scotty...
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Aug. 03 2004,3:08)]Weird Poetic.
smile_n_32.gif
Oy Tamlin! Think of a nice ending Scotty...
smile_m_32.gif
ummm..what?
sorry Jason, I have no clue what you are saying!
smile_l_32.gif

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I want prints, because I still make photo albums

That makes sense scottychaos.  It would probably be more convenient to just have them developed in this case.  

However, I have found that if I am doing "serious" photography, digital is almost better.  Maybe not in every case........because there is definitely beauty in taking black and white pictures and seeing them appear before your eyes in those developing trays.

My reasoning behind digital pictures is that you can take the picture and review it right away.  I can make sure what I wanted in focus was in focus by zooming in close on the display along with checking the lighting, composition, etc.  Also since cameras have higher megapixels, I can blow up the picture I took to 31.5" x 26.6" with no pixelation whatsover.  It is crystal clear.  With film, you can't blow it up that big unless you have a medium format camera, and even then it probably will not be quite as clear.  I really like to be able to see my pictures right away after I take them.  

As far as losing data.......that sucks......that is one thing they have to work on.  That would be frustrating.  I have seen cameras with two memory cards, and the pictures are written to both at once for backup.  That would be nice....but it's spendy.  

It is definitely a time of transition.  It's amazing what peole in the past have done with film.  I especially like the work of Jerry Uelsmann.  He uses many enlargers to combine lots of different photos to make one really neat picture.  

I read an article that said that cameras will be moving back to analog technology to take photos.  But still will be recorded on a chip i believe.  Analog chips can get better pictures because they can get an RGB sensor on every pixel, while digital cameras don't have that feature.  

I also have a 35mm SLR and like that quite a bit too.  It's nice to know your roots
smile.gif

It will be fun to see where photography is in 20 years.  
smile.gif

Back