What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets get down and NASCy!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi all

I'm here to shake some bones and make some noise.
smile.gif

When the idea of NASC was born and then put into action, we had a large and very positive response from the membership. Over time there has been a drop-off in interest.

I know that the NASC forum and Conservation Station isn't always a "hotbed of excitement." The rallying was good...the auction was fun and successful, but excitement isn't what its all about. Long-term COMMITTMENT is what its all about. Not forgetting because there is a lull in topics.

Even though the topics seem slow, anyone interested in supporting NASC needs to keep an eye on those forums on a regular basis so you know if anything is happening or not. It may be "not", but you gotta keep a toe in for when there IS something important being discussed.

There are several topics in both the Conservation Station and the NASC forum that need some participation.

There is a logo contest, a brochure to critique and several other ideas and questions being put forth for discussion.

We need INPUT--ideas, suggestions, criticisms...a voicing of your opinions. This is "for the people, by the people." But we need the people!

We need to get more organized so that as situations arise, we will be READY. Not scrambling around to get ready.

So please...anyone who offered support for NASC at its inception, please check out the forums, read what is being discussed and add your input so we can get rolling on some of these things.

Thanks to all who want to participate by voicing your ideas and opinions! Now get to those forums and do some reading!

Suzanne/PAK

what does NASC do exactly?

Well...if you go to the NASC forum and do some reading you'll find all the stuff you need to know. I believe the Mission Statement is pinned.

smile.gif

If only more people cared or UNDERSTOOD....the whole is undereducated in this field we CPers believe in. Gov'ts or States do not care anymore besides money and development.....what can we do......

i read the statement and would love to help out. tell me what i can do, suzanne! i have plenty of growspace and i've had experiance in bog raids to rescue cp's from development. i'm experianced at growing cp's and i have the time to do whatever i can to help out. i live in GA which is the pefect climate to grow sarracenia and i can give away tons of seed next year.

I have no grow space but would donate money to a worthy cause.
smile.gif

Ooooooooh...did someone say MONEY?? lol I'm kidding.
smile.gif
Of course donations are always welcome. Anyone wishing to donate financially can contact Casper (until we get a treasurer).

JustLikeAPill...you can 1) offer opinions and suggestions when any topic is being discussed 2) post in the pinned topic asking for the names of those who want to help and list all those things you just said 3) keep an eye on both forums to see when something is going on.

There was just recently a Sarracenia rescue down in Florida where Brooks and some other dedicated CPers dug up 120 S. rubra ssp. gulfensis from a site immediately threatened by development. A lot of those rescued plants went to NASC stewards. So that is a prime example of what this organization can do! That is only the beginning.
smile.gif

But if you don't keep up on what is going on, you won't know when or where you can help. This is a long-term thing...and not always "exciting" like an auction...but you will be making a TRUE difference in the future of these plants. Thanks to Brooks and his crew...S. rubra ssp. gulfensis, Crestview FL, Radio Tower Site plants will remain in cultivation for decades to come even though the site is destroyed. And then the seed will go out too when the time comes. THAT'S how it works! Just think! Without that rescue, the plants from that site would be gone forever...now...they live on!

Im still here and interested!
I think people might not be responding much yet, because there doesent seem to be anything specific to do yet! other than continue to discuss things..which of course is good by itself, because you need to talk about doing things before you can do them! ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There was just recently a Sarracenia rescue down in Florida where Brooks and some other dedicated CPers dug up 120 S. rubra ssp. gulfensis from a site immediately threatened by development. A lot of those rescued plants went to NASC stewards. So that is a prime example of what this organization can do!

what?! when?! where?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

when and where was this discussed?
I follow the NASC forum and discussions, and this is the first I have heard of that! I just even went back and looked through the forum..couldnt find it..
where was it discussed?
Scot

That actually took place on the Conservation forum. You gotta keep your eye on BOTH as they are related.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think people might not be responding much yet, because there doesent seem to be anything specific to do yet!

The logo contest has been up for quite a while with only few people responding. You don't have to be an artist to come up with a logo idea.

The brochure topic has been up with a plea for some critique or approval of the copy and almost no response.

Some people read the topics...but say nothing. So the topics languish for weeks with little response.
smile_h_32.gif

At ANY time, anybody can bring up an idea or question or ask to get moving! You want something to start happening--make some NOISE!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 04 2004,8:12)]That actually took place on the Conservation forum.  You gotta keep your eye on BOTH as they are related.  
smile.gif
'doh!!
yep, I totally missed the whole thing..
smile_h_32.gif

my fault for not paying attention!
as an "official" member now, I promise to do better!
smilie4.gif

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There was just recently a Sarracenia rescue down in Florida where Brooks and some other dedicated CPers dug up 120 S. rubra ssp. gulfensis from a site immediately threatened by development. A lot of those rescued plants went to NASC stewards.

But the stewards will need to propigate these plants, and not just their own. They should send pollen and seeds to one another to maintain genetic diversity.

When there is little action in a forum, there is less of a incentive to post because of the preception that they will not be heard (kind of like the cacti and succulents section)

But thats just me

Why wouldn't someone be heard? All other forums if topics are active, people are being "heard". If you don't think someone is listening...rattle the cage!
smile.gif

I havn't read the whole thread, just scanned through it tonight. Been a monstor work day (Started at 5 a.m. and just ended at 8:30 pm)

With that said, I would be glad to tell everyone where things stand on my side of the fence.

The paperwork for the org, and not for profit has been completed to the best of my ability. I found a local non-prof. attorney to look over the paperwork for DIRT CHEAP (Read: 50 bucks, I can't get a lawyer to look at a parking ticket for 50 bucks)

The downside of the price is it takes a while for her to get around to reviewing the entire thing. She has been taking it a few parts at a time. Something about paying customers getting in the way
smile.gif

So we are moving at a steady pace into the right direction. I always knew this would be a slow process, but we are definatly moving. Bugweed and I have been tossing around some ideas about education of landowners and such.

Right now, we really need some leaders to step up and take charge of individual committees. That would be a huge weight lifted off of a bunch of shoulders. Other than that, the support group is built and we are moving forward. Its a tough thing that we are trying to acomplish, but we are getting there and the ideals will not be lost.
I commend everyone who has had a part in this project, regardless of how big or small.

Back