What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another planet?

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Just an interesting article for any astronomy buffs or star-gazers.
smile.gif

Did you know another object (they don't know what to call it) has been found in our solar system beyond Pluto? It may even have its own "moon".

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/new_object_040315.html

There is a lot of "stuff" out there.
smile.gif

BTW...also for stargazers...we are currently in the Perseids meteor shower phase but the peak is August 12th. Perseids is an awsome display of meteors so worth giving the sky a look. Even now you might catch a shooting star but the number per hour increases up to the peak on the 12th.

Starry starry night...

Wow, very interesting... Thanks for pointing that out.
smile.gif

Andrew

Did you know that Nasa also found the Death Star?
smile_n_32.gif

PIA05423.jpg

Check out this NASA website for the full details. Oh, and make sure you get your lightsabres ready ;)

I had read a while back that there was suspicion, that VERY far out, beyond what we normally consider the confines our solar system, scientists were starting to suspect the presence of a black or brown dwarf (brown dwarf think jupiter). While there has never been any physical observation of it, there have been 'gravitational hints' that something massive out there is influencing our solar system. It may make sense... the vast majority of stars in our galaxy are actually binary systems, maybe ours is too? who knows... we can see so far, yet still discover stuff in the back yard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]brown dwarf think jupiter

Ram, I always thought brown dwarfs "started" (the definition of a brown dwarf is what I mean by started) at roughly 10 jupiters in mass.

PAK, I log on to astonomy.com almost every day and look for cool stuff. They have some great pics from the Cassini (SP?) probe orbiting Saturn. I am not a registered user, though, so I can't get many of the articles...

I've been interested in astronomy since I was a kid. I'd buy astronomy books along with my horse books.
smile.gif
But I never really kept up with it as a study, so I don't know all that much. Its certainly fascinating though. Lots "out there" that we don't know about.

I'll have to check out that website.
smile.gif

that's cool, it came out in the news about 4 months ago...
Sedna!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
death star... that hole actually looks like a HHHUUUUGGGEEE comet hit

Yes, that is Sedna, with possibly a hypothetical moon. Whoop! Love astronomy but too bad there are few clubs in my area. You guys over in the US/australia/UK should be able to exploit the hobby more since you have clearer skies.
smile.gif

I didn't know you were interested in astronomy PAK. At least I'm not the only standing astro nerd in the building...
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
smile_k_ani_32.gif
death star... that hole actually looks like a HHHUUUUGGGEEE comet hit

Dude, that actually is an asteroid crater.
smile.gif
Wouldn't it be interesting if suddenly a crater opened up into a pointy thingy and started blasting the cr@p out of other planets? Mwhahhahah, be afraid, be very afraid!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

How can you NOT be fascinated by the universe? Its mysterious, mystical and thing of great beauty.

If it doesn't stop raining here soon I won't be able to see Perseids.
smile_h_32.gif

Im fascinated by the universe.
smile.gif
I have always been.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Back