What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your roots

hey everybody, since USA's people origanal come from the four corner of the world. I'm curious where your older relative immigate from...
best reagrds Bjørn, half Malay and half Norse

The Polish! And The Scottish! And the Native American! And the Irish! And The Germen! And a bunch of other stuffs. I am only the 4th generation from Poland on my Fathers side. My mothers family was here 100 years before The U.S.A was even created
blues.gif

My paternal grandparents immigrated here in the 30's from Palermo, Sicly. My mothers kin came down from Canada and moved there from Scotland (Clan Henderson).

they imagrated from ireland, and i'm 1/16 native american.

Lawrence is an English name, desended from Clan MacLaurin of Scotland.
So my roots are English and Scottish on my Dad's side, German on my Mom's side..
but my ancestors have been in America so long, I consider myself 100% Americian..I have traced my Lawrence line back to the early 1700's in America..before the USA even existed..
I also have a bit of Seneca indian in me.
But mainly Scottish and English..my Dad plays the pipes and is in a bagpipe band.
The Penn-York Highlanders, "Ladies from Hell" pipe band, Athens, PA..

(ok, now I have to tell about the name!!
laugh.gif
)
During WWI the Scots fought with the English..
the Scots fought in their full military uniform, which included kilts!
the first time the Germans saw the Scot soldiers in their kilts, they laughed at them and called them "ladies"...
the Scots then proceded to whup them good!
after that, the Germans called them "the ladies from hell"
laugh.gif

Scot (who was named with only one "t" and not two because Scotland has only one "t")

My people are from Michigan.

But if you go past my granparents, you get a mishmash of European roots. Scottish (clan Grant), Italian, German, Austria-Hungarian.

Capslock

Hmmm..........alot of different ones..........Irish, Norwegian, German, Ukranian, Syrian, French. Those are the main ones, but I'm sure there's some more mixed in there too
biggrin.gif

I'm a mutt who is mostly German.

I always wondered what my roots were, as I grew up never knowing anyone with my last name (its a pretty rare name).  Then one day the mystery was solved when I was contacted by an English gentleman in Denmark who had done extensive research on our family name and he gave the geneology to me.  It was quite a thrill seeing the family line...and all the names!  They all had MY last name..when I had never seen it anywhere EVER!  There are still not too many of us here in the US.

My family on my father's side came from Nottingham England traced back to the 1500s.  (So maybe I'm related to Robin Hood.  
biggrin.gif
)   They were bellcasters...making large bells for churches and cathedrals.  There is supposed to be a cathedral bell somewhere in England called "The Lady Bell" that they cast.  I've been told one of their bells also hangs in a museum in Raleigh, NC. (I sure hope they didn't cast the Liberty Bell since it...uhh...cracked...).  One branch of our family came to the US through New York...the other branch came in through SC with the delivery of a bell.  Mostly likely I am descended from the SC line.  It hasn't been determined how the family got to VA.

I feel Scottish blood most strongly which probably came from my paternal grandmother who, like William's kin, was a Henderson.  (So maybe we are related...hehe).  On my mother's side there is French/English blood.

So I reckon that makes me a mongrel...but my heart has always belonged to the Scots.  That's the blood that flows the strongest.  Genetic memory...my homeland.

I guess that means I could steal from the rich, give to the poor...make a bell and dance the Highland Fling!  
smile_m_32.gif

Mom's side: No one's done any geneology, but my mom was born in Puerto Rico to a Puerto Rican and a Spaniard.

Dad's side: Grandpa's had a lot of free time (as the retired often do), so he traced the family geneology back at least as far as William the Conqueror, from whom I directly descend. I'm also related to William the Longshanks (He's the evil english king from Braveheart. Thankfully the scots have yet to come asking for compensation
smile_n_32.gif
).

Mostly dutch withabout 1/8th Cherokee

I am half English and half Scotch/Irish. Hunt is an English name.

Joe

One set of grandparents were from Northern Spain (grandfather spoke the dialect of Catalonia and 5 other languages). They came to the U.S. in their teen years. The other set of grandparents descended from Ireland and England but were both born in the U.S.

Scottish on both sides for me. My fathers family can be traced back to the clan MacDuff, don't know about my mothers side though.

Irish, French Canadian and Welsh, mostly, and I can speak French and a bit of Japanese (I would like to have some japanese roots
smile.gif
)

Wow interesting thread...
smile.gif

Regards from Germany
Jan

Mums side was polish/ checosolvocian

dads side is French

Wow, we are overrun with Scots here!
cool!
blues.gif

friendly_race.jpg