What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Natural fungicide

I bought a fungicide to take care of my mold problem, but it says it is harmful if you breath any of the mist in, get it on your skin, and is harmful to domestic animals. So.....I decided to look for some natural fungicide instead. I found two of them.....:

1) Cinnamon. It said to sprinkle cinnamon on the mold/fungus and that will get rid of it.

2) This ones seems a little more reliable to me.....

1 quart luke warm/room temperature water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp dish soap
Shake to mix and spray plants.

The dish soap is to make the water hold together better instead of beading up on.

Has anyone ever tried these? Would they be safe for cps? Thanks.

- Joel

anything is dangerous if you breath it in- just don't breath it in. i think i read somewhere that soap is alkalina so it's harmful to cp's, and baking soda is harmful aswell.

just buy some commercial fertilizer and use it in a well ventilated area. i use fungicide all the time on cuttings and seeds and i've never been hurt ^_^

I tried cinnamon during a winter dormancy a few years back..
I just sprinkled cinnamon around the surface, and the stalks of the plants..(I put my plants in the fridge in their pots, with all the leaves cut off, and a plastic bag around each individual pot..)
it did NOTHING to prevent the fine whispy mold I get every winter..
of course, that mold never harms anything anyway, so I personally dont feel like I *need* a fungicide for the winter..

someone suggested the cinnamon might need to be really fresh to work as a fungicide..like grinding your own powder from raw cinnamon.
maybe...
but from my test, using already-ground cinnamon from the store, it was an utter failure..
Scot

Back