What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predator vs. alien

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
In light of a chat with Griffin;
Being that N. Predator (hamata X trunc.) with our imagination will show a symbolic resemblance to a predator and the shape of the parents combined with "the teeth" this should add up to a large but not tubby figure with a vicious look, ie...the predator/the creature.

So, with that being said. Many of us are Nep folks and since messin with parentage is fun..............

Take your Nep knowledge and combine it with a little marketing skill and tell me...................

"WHAT SHOULD N. 'ALIEN' BE A X OF" ?
As many parents as it takes.

Joe

Hmm, interesting thought.
I'm a big fan or HR Giger (creator of the original Xenomorph =alien creature) and knowing how horrified he feels about worms and tubular things. It should be a plant which has noticeable protruding veins on the sides of the pitchers. this could somewhat resemble his "biomechanical" painting style. (and the "hoses and pipes" on the alien creature. I know my N. bicalcarata has noticeable protruding veins on the pitchers sides, plus it does have those fangs but they do not apparently transffer well in hybrids.
Since the Xenomorph (alien) is also very top heavy with the elongated mantle, perhaps  put N. aristolochioides in there to fill out the top portion, then, just to give it a possible edge to the peristome and slightly elongate shape add N. hamata to this one since the teeth seem to pass through in at least that "predator" hybrid.

So it boils down to my silly hybrid idea of: N. bicalcarata x aristolochioides x hamata

Anyway, I hope they cancel work tomorrow night so I can see that movie!
smile.gif

N. "alien"....now that would be a neat hybrid....would definetly want some aristolochioides in there, I'd throw in hamata as well for the teeth. I think rajah would be a good pick too due to the "pointyness" of the peristome. And while we're at it throw in N. macrophylla or N. villosa.
smile.gif
Lowii is a very "alien" looking plant as well.....looks like some natural hybrids will be popping up in the cross!

N. aristolochioides x hamata x (lowii x macrophylla) x (rajah x villosa)

Holy %$^#&, how long can these names get man...

Well, I think that rafs have a very alien looking pitcher, with the lid suppored on a very "E.T." looking neck...But villosa is even better because it has the neck with the toothed petrisome

Northiana gets that dramatic, striped flared petrisome that is tilted...

So I would vote for villosa x northiana, and choose the offspring that had a sloped, toothed, flared and striped petrisome with the lid suppored on a defined neck.

THEN

id cross that bad boy with aristolochioides and take the offspring with all the above qualities and the body shape of the aris....

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back