What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane charley

How big was it (don't they have something like a scale rating)...heard about it on msn yesterday, apparently they had shot it live. A hurricane would probably do more than blow planes off course...

it was very annoying to hear the same thing from the pilots over and over again. 'light turbulence center'. it gets old after about thirty aircraft check in with it. Their dispatch knew about charley, wouldn't that sort of thing be expected, aka foul weather? It just proved to be an annoyance when there are other more important things to take care of.

Does anyobe know how Clyde Bramblett did thru this? He was hit hard by Andrew and lost his wife just a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

Joe

If I remember right Clyde is in the Miami area. The Miami area wasn't really affected by the storm.
It's sad to hear about his wife. It must be a hard time for him.

The planes were flipped at the cooperate (private) airport nearby.  The main airport did sustain some serious damage, but mostly broken windows and flooding.

Jason, it was very strong and was finally upgraded to a 4.

It was big. I think the top winds was 145 mph.

Wow Buster...I'm so sorry to hear about all your damage.
smile_h_32.gif
I've been thinking about all our forum family down in Florida. I hope everyone checks in to let us know they are ok.

I really feel for the folks in Florida. Isabelle wasn't nearly that bad and did terrible damage here. So I can just imagine what folks are going through in Florida now. I saw a news report that mentioned people hunting for ice. I remember that well. With no power...no fridge. You are desperate to get ice. And there was none to be had. When it first started trickling in...it would be all gone in 20 minutes. A friend and I drove to Charlottesville to find ice. It took about a week before ice could be found on a regular basis. I needed ice for two weeks. And ice is just ONE little thing you need. Batteries and bottled water were also impossible to find. And then you have to deal with the damage....

My heart goes out to all those who suffered losses with Charley.
smile_h_32.gif

The ice. One of the worse things to see was when people sold ice for $20 a bag. That shows how uncaring humans can be sometimes.

As someone mentioned earlier the aftermath is turning out to be as bad as the storm itself. The power companies finally admitted it will be about 14 days until everyone has electricity and water. There is a major gas shortage because the gas stations don't have electricity to pump it, but they are bringing trucks of ice into the powerless areas now. The stores are pretty much out of frozen and refrigerated food - they threw it out after no power for the first few days, so we can't get milk, meat, etc. As for me... got the car out from the tree (only minor damage), can't get anyone to come for the roof for a least 4 days, still haven't seen the greehouse parts, but I did find 3 pitcher plants - not the pots but the plants seem ok, and since we have our daily thunderstorms and it rains in the 2 roofless rooms I'm thinking indoor gardens! The National Weather Service is starting to catch flack for their forcast. The local channels started to announce that the storm had shifted its path in the early afternoon, but the NWS didn't issue the new path until their 4 o'clock update, which apparently gave some people a 45 minute warning - but by then most of the power was off. Anyway got to get back to cleaning up the mess - hope everyone has a good day.
Stan

Yep...once the power goes out there is a ripple effect from that. No electricity affects a LOT more than you think. All of a sudden you have massive amounts of people all in need of the same thing at once and supply can't keep up with demand. Food is affected in grocery stores...so even once the power comes back (if you're lucky and get it back in a few days), there isn't even much to buy (no milk, eggs, bread, ice, etc.). And don't try to go out to eat because once a few restaurants get power back, everyone else has the same idea. I can remember going out on a food hunt (since I didn't have edible food) and nothing was open--no grocery stores, markets, restaurants, fast food--nada.

Unfortunately, its a long time before things get back to normal. And its a loooong time before you stop hearing the sound of chain saws....
confused.gif

Good luck to you Stan. I heard VA Power is sending workers to Florida. We had SOOO many electrical workers come to VA from all over the US to help here after Isabelle. Without their help, it would have taken even longer to get power restored. I think its awsome when states help each other out like that. So...big pat on the back to all the power workers who will work endless hours to get power restored.

And a pox on those who make money off of others misery--like scalping ice! Geez! How sick can you get...

Stan, keep your head up, it will get better. I know how miserable you are right now.

The electric companies have an agreement, that when something like this happens all the unaffected companies will send men and trucks for cost only. It's really a very good thing that they have. It helps everybody to get back to normal alot sooner. Another group of people that works hard and does an invaluable job but rarely get any thanks is the National Guard.

With all the bad stories being told I think I would like to tell some of good things I've seen during some of the hurricanes I've been in. In 1984, after hurricane Diana, Brunswick county NC had no power, water ect. Burger King gave away free hamburgers. Since they cooked with gas, they were about the only place that had any food. They cooked what meat they had since it was going to go bad anyway. They gave the food to anybody that needed it.

In 97 after hurricane Fran, my mom managed a gas station. She gave away the milk in the coolers. She gave me way more than I could drink. When I got home I saw my neighbors sitting on their porch. Wasn't much else to do anyway. As soon as they saw me they brought over some food. They were from Pakistan so I have no idea what it was. They also gave me some mangos. It was the first time I had tried mangos. I then gave them 2 gallons of milk.

Be careful, there will be alot of people offering to fix roofs, windows ect. The only thing they'll do is take your money. Be careful who you give your money to. This happens after every disaster.

Back