What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regular potting soil and fertilizers?!

Hey guys, I've had this Nepenthes alata for about 2 years, and I've been growing it in regualr home depot peat based potting soil... wic is probably no biggie since it is peat with perlite and wetting agents etc... but i've been adding slow release fertilizers and my plants (2 in one pot) have been doing great! growing and pitchering very well!

Any thoughts?

-Juan-Carlos

Rule #1: There are NO rules cause NO one thing works for evryone.

Some people manage a plant this way with great success and another may try it only to kill his/her prize plant.
Do what works for you. I certainly would not change this since it likes it and is probably a little easier to manage than some of the extremes some folks go to to keep them alive. Also some plants are quite abit hardier to common negatives than others. Goodwork and good luck

Joe

I've often thought about trying cps in regular soil myself, just to see what would happen. Interesting to hear it's working for you.
smile.gif

Yeah, I've had this Nepenthes since before I was really into the Cp's, its just recently that i've been researching them and getting into the diffrent species etc. I guess since the potting soil is peat based helps, but I guess this nept like the ferts heh

Now that I am informed on care and correct subtrate I was contemplating changing the medim, but I guess Since it is doing soo good i'
ll just leave it as it is.

thanx for your input guys,

-Juan-Carlos
Miami, Fl
www.jcreef.bravehost.com

Yeah, ppl sometimes put fertilizers in their nep pitchers, with amazing results. That's how random inexperienced cp plant sellers make their pitchers up to a foot, seriously I have seen some that big. And the colouration was astounding...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Looks like it was painted. Anyone up for experimenting? I'm on the verge of trying this myself as without feeding, my neps cannot hold more than 3 pitchers of moderate size at once.

What superimposed says is so true...there are no rules in the cp world.

Now I ain't going to go on about that rules are made to be broken stuff...
smile_m_32.gif

Hmm interesting, so what one granual of a 3 month slow release in the pitcher?

-Juan-Carlos

Back