What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Guys!
Looking for some hlp for you. I'm making another order for CPs, but I've corrupted some of my friends in the mean time! Now they want some too! *applause*

I told them that if they wanted an easy start, to do so with Droseras, as I believe they are rather tolerant plants compared to the others. But what about those who want something different?

So could you place them in order, from the easiest to hardest?
Kinda like this :
1 Drosera
2 Sarracenia
3 Utricularia and others
4 Butterwort
5 Dionaea
6 Nepenthes
or whatever the actual order.

Please?

i would say
1 sarracenia
2 dionae
3. nepenthes
4 sundews
5. nepenthes
6. utric
7. butterwort
but they're all pretty much hard to kill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Aug. 17 2004,10:38)]i would say
1 sarracenia
2 dionae
3. nepenthes
4 sundews
5. nepenthes
6. utric
7. butterwort
but they're all pretty much hard to kill
You wrote neps twice kirk? lol

1 Drosera
2 Sarracenia
3 Dionaea
4 Utrics
5 Pings
6 Nepenthes

Of course there are many exceptions, i tried to make a generalization but in some cases you could have drosera be the hardest, and utrics be indestructable. a nep could be either 1-6. Catch my drift?
maybe you could get em a d. capensis and let em poke it all day, but if they are willing to go through with dormancy get em a typical vft. I think it depends on your friends
smile_n_32.gif

(1 being hardest)
1. dionaea
2. sarracenia
3. drosera
4. nepenthes
5. pinguicula (mexican, the temperate ones are sometimes difficult for me)
6. utric / not very hard for tropicals, but for me temperates don't do well.. and don't let duckweed cover your aquatic tanks. thats a pain in the ***.

Amateur is right, One Nep could be called easiest while another could easily be THE hardest. Sarrs and Flytraps are dang near identical in requirement.

confused.gif

Joe

Erm, okay. So which nep and ultrics are "indestructible", as you say? (taking note, I'm pretty destructive as well.)

From one being the hardest-
1- Dionaea
2- Ping
3- Drosera
4- Nepenthes
5- Utics

I don't know if it is just me, but I haven't had the best sucess with Pings.
Also, I don't believe there are any real Cp specie that is harder then the other, it is mainly more on what type of Cp subspecie you have a choice to grow.
Like say what is easier?  U. Livida, D. Capensis, N. Ventrata....  they are all on the same level but the thing that makes them easier for one and not the next is their growing conditions around their house.  
So if a person has to grow a plant indoors with limited light, then a Nepenthes, or several types of low light Drosera's will grow great.
But, if outdoor plants are your choice due to limitations of space or light then Sarracenia's, or Some Drosera's like Capensis will grow like a weed.

But the easiest of all I would have to say is U. Livida. It grows in low/high light. The only drawback is it's lack of excitment since all you really see are leaves and no real trapping mechnism.

N. ventricosa is the easiest Nep. and U. sandersonii is the easiest Utric. They must be because I haven't killed any of them - yet.
Un)Dionaea
Deux)Utricularia
Trois)Drosera
Quatre)Sarracenia
Cinque)Pinguicula
Six)Nepenthes
Sept)Darlingtonia

I would say:
Utricularia
Nepenthes
Sarracenia
Drosera
Dionea
Darlingtonia

Of course it all depends on the species.

Wow, you're most of you are clasifying Dionaeas as being pretty tough? But they're not so bad, aren't they? (Proof : Mine are still alive!) And Neps as relatively easy?
Remember this is for inexperienced growers, and probably less motivated then the lot of you (who, I must admit, are quite impressive, keep it up!)
Conclusion, I should advice them to get some Utricularias and Neps?!? Okay...

Most of the terestrial Utrics are ultra easy such as U.livida,U.subulata,U.microcalyx. And alot of the Neps are real easy such as N.ventricosa,N.sanguinea,N.rafflesiana.

I would say:

1.Drosera(rosseted sub-tropical, e.g D.alciea, D.capensis)
2.Utricularia(terrestrial)
3.Sarracenia
4.Dioneaea
5.Pinguicula
6.Drosera(pygmy sundews)
7.Utricularia(epythitic/tropical)
8.Drosera(winter growing, fan leafed and all tuberous)
9.Nepenthes

There you go.
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Well in my opinion, I think that how easy they are to grow depends on who's growing them, where they are being grown, and the conditions that you have to grow them in. I've killed some plants that others call weeds (U.gibba). Even though I tried everything I could think of to keep it alive. I gave it all the "correct" conditions but it stills dies. On the other hand I grow some plants that people say are hard to grow. Some of these plants I just ignore and they thrive.
BY me not knowing your location I would say let them try a capensis then maybe move up to a vft or pitcher plant. If you choose a pitcher plant start with a purpurea.

Utrics are relatively easy and have some cool little flowers but you don't really get to see them eat.

1.Utricularia
2.Sarracenia
3.Dioneae
4.Drosera
5.Pinguicula
6.Nepenthes

Ozzy is right. The easiest CPs are the ones that like the type of conditions you can easily provide. In much of the country, dioneae grow easily outdoors, as do many drosera.

Where I'm from, I grow N. aristolochioides in my living room with no problems, but can't grow a lowlander to save my life. So, it depends on your conditions, although there are more and less tolerant species of all these cps!

Capslock

capslock, in your living room?? Do you by any chance live on a mountain at about, lets say 2,400 meters up?

Look at his profile... i'd love to live there someday.

Here in San Francisco, it's always cool and humid, all year long. Today, for example, is the typical day: it's mid-sixties, partly foggy, and humidity around 70% during the day and 90% at night. This is the normal pattern here, even though it's hot and dry 20 miles inland! Perfect for intermediates and highlanders, but I'd have to use extra heat to grow lowlanders.

JLAP, come on out! It's great here, once you can find housing, which is $$$.

Casplock

you can bet i'm either moving to cali or florida, great climate, great people, great plant-growing opporunity!!!

Back