What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom computers

I was looking around on the internet and discovered they have so many more custom computer cases than I thought.  Last summer I built a custom computer and had a tough time finding a case I was happy with, but with enough searching I found a pretty nice one for a good price.  Anybody else have any experience with building computers?  I would love to build many more, but unfortunately don't have the funds.  For now, the funds I do get will go to cps.
biggrin.gif

Check out these cases.

I especially like the Kingwin Mutant X (MTX425SW) Silver

I got mine at colorcases too. They have redone their website since I have been there, it looks pretty nice. They have a pretty nice selection too.

Those are tiny cases! I can't belive they can fit everything in those.

Did you assemble yours too? Or overclock it at all?

I had read about overclocking a cpu and figured I had better give it a shot. Mine is a 2.4Ghz P4 and I got it upt o 2.9Ghz.......and eventually turned it down a little bit due to some system unstability
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It's sitting right on 2.8Ghz and runs pretty nicely.

I built mine... but I've never overclocked. Computers are fast enough now that I don't really see the point unless you're doing some hardcore gaming. Otherwise I think we're getting to the point where the hardware is outrunning the software.

They are pretty fast now, but even with a P4 2.8 Ghz and 2GB of RAM, my computer still bogs down with some of the applications that I run. I am going into graphic design, and some of the images I create on here push the computer a little bit. But for the most part, I overclocked it for the fun of it
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They are pretty fast now, but even with a P4 2.8 Ghz and 2GB of RAM, my computer still bogs down with some of the applications that I run.  I am going into graphic design, and some of the images I create on here push the computer a little bit.  But for the most part, I overclocked it for the fun of it

What video card do you have in that machine?  The beauty of Radeon cards: catalyst drivers.  Overclocking made by the company so there are no real risks involved, and you don't really need to do anything.  As things would have it CPU power is starting to mean less and less and graphics card power more and more, but it's really dependant on what type of work you're doing, of course...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (firewired @ Aug. 18 2004,6:27)]They are pretty fast now, but even with a P4 2.8 Ghz and 2GB of RAM, my computer still bogs down with some of the applications that I run.  I am going into graphic design, and some of the images I create on here push the computer a little bit.  But for the most part, I overclocked it for the fun of it
biggrin.gif
Yeah, good point. Those 4000x3000 photoshop files will do it.
smile.gif
I'm a web designer so my images are usually a little smaller.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm a web designer so my images are usually a little smaller.
Cool, I dabble in the web.  I am interning at a place that does websites among other things.  I like flash quite a bit, but all that action scripting confuses the heck out of me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What video card do you have in that machine?  The beauty of Radeon cards: catalyst drivers.  Overclocking made by the company so there are no real risks involved, and you don't really need to do anything.  As things would have it CPU power is starting to mean less and less and graphics card power more and more, but it's really dependant on what type of work you're doing, of course...

I have a Wildcat VP970.  It supposed to be one of the best graphics cards for handling the 3D modeling.  I kind of wonder if the Radeon would have been better though.  My brother has a Radeon 9700 and I kind of wonder if that would have handled this better.  I had some trouble with it when I first installed it.  There would be some random pixels that would flash
confused.gif
 It turned out it wasn't seated well enough in there.  But it works good now.  Did you overclock your graphics card?

endparenthesis, can you post a link to one of your websites?  It would be fun to see
smile.gif

Here's a couple of mine:

Tarpsmarts.com

MACIV For this last one, I designed everything on the MACIV site, but not the pages the site links to.

Back