What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creeping nazgul in progress

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
updates:
Here's the "blank" two handed longsword I made for the Nazgul out of 1/8" thick strip styrene plastic. It will be embellished by having the crossguard whittled into the thin bony shape their sword guards have. Apoxie Epoxy will be used for handle and pummel shaping. The blade will also be weathered with pieces missing and signs of corrosion sculped on or carved off.
swordtut1.jpg

swordtut2.jpg

swordtut3.jpg

swordtut4.jpg

Here's the sword in scale with the figure:
nazgul1-9.jpg

nazgul1-5.jpg

nazgul1-6.jpg

nazgul1-7.jpg

nazgul1-8.jpg

I tried to capture thier pose as they close in on their victims. In the finished piece it will hold a sword in the drawn back right hand.

hope you like it so far!
smile.gif

now that is AWSOME!!!
what kind of clay do you use ?
i consider myself an artist but woooo hoo darn that's a mean looking guy there lol

Thanks man!
I'm using translucent pink Super Sculpey mixed with dark blue sculpey to make a grey color that I like. The darker color makes it easier on down the road when I want to see clearly to add in details like fabric texture and ripped edges. The armor and swords of the Nazguls will be sculpted in Castilene protoyping wax so the detail on the metal edges will remain crisp.

I didn't do much sculpting in art school... just a stop-motion class mainly... but of the sculptors I knew there you definitely have a better feel for proportion, texture, and detail than any of them did. Kudos.

Good Stuff Bro \m/
smile.gif
\m/

due to lack of space my stuff is all 25mm or smaller scaled....

The fabric is coming along real nice, I can't wait to see them when they're all textured and mounted etc;
What is your plan for display (or would that be giving too much away)???

*wannabe* artist and fellow LOTR fan here!! I LOVE the sculpture! You've caught the eerieness and overall "bad" look to these guys! I love the stance and fabric!! Coming along nicely!! Keep us updated!!
smile_m_32.gif

I put some updated pics up top there, that's all 9 layers before I start smoothing and cleaning/correcting up the "flow" of the robes.
I also just realized my figure is too large to be baked in my oven and due to the hanging flaps it can't be laid down to bake like a bare chested warrior could be. So I will be building a 24" x 24" x 24" DIY "Sculpey oven" from sheet metal and a halogen bulb this weekend. I figure if I only need 2" height I may as well make it big enough for something twice this size cos who knows...

Mabudon, I used to paint those 25mm when I was a kid but my god, the prices of them these days is crazy! I don't know how the kids can afford things like Warhammer minis anymore.

I'm just doing this as a personal/showoff piece for my sculpting portfolio. A creature made entirely of flowing fabric is good practice for doing drapery folds. I hadn't thought of any kind of diorama base for a permanent display. If I did a base I think I would probably try and replicate some of the stone and grass ruins on Weathertop where Aragon burns up some of the Nazgul. They look so "natural" in the ruined stonework and dead treelimbs/grass.

I'm jealous of anyone who got to go to art school, it would be great to learn stop-motion!
smile.gif

I forgot to add, here's a great site with tons of nice photo stills from the LOTR movies. It's in "choose your favorite charachter style"! Nice big sizes for your desktop too:
http://www.warofthering.net/photos/

Back