What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
Oops, looks like I was a bit unclear. I am not yet a PhD, this was the qualifying exam. It is what I have to pass to 1) stay in the program and 2) actually be called a PhD candidate reather than a mere graduate student. I still have a couple more years before I'll be doing a thesis defense but passing the qual means I get to stick around for those next couple years.

Now my real work begins... As soon as I get the bacterial strains I need from the freezer and from some collaboraters.

And to answer the question that popped up a few times. I am working in bacterial genetics. I specifically am looking at a protein that works to regualte transcription of early stage sporulation genes and how it interacts with one of two different forms of RNA polymerase in the bacteria Bacillus subtilis. (And I am sure that is about as clear as mud to a lot of you.)

Well...I still think Dr. Pyro sounds mighty fine. So we call you that a little early. Then by the time you get the title, you will be very accustomed to it.
smile.gif

Woooo! I am glad you are not getting a Ph.D. in Post Hole Digging that is a killer on the back!
smile_n_32.gif
j/k Wow, you must really be busy with college and a child and the the wife. That right there shows you will do a fabulous job!
smile.gif

Corngradulations! thats so awsome! yay

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Aug. 27 2004,11:02)]Oops, looks like I was a bit unclear. I am not yet a PhD, this was the qualifying exam. It is what I have to pass to 1) stay in the program and 2) actually be called a PhD candidate reather than a mere graduate student. I still have a couple more years before I'll be doing a thesis defense but passing the qual means I get to stick around for those next couple years.

Now my real work begins... As soon as I get the bacterial strains I need from the freezer and from some collaboraters.

And to answer the question that popped up a few times. I am working in bacterial genetics. I specifically am looking at a protein that works to regualte transcription of early stage sporulation genes and how it interacts with one of two different forms of RNA polymerase in the bacteria Bacillus subtilis. (And I am sure that is about as clear as mud to a lot of you.)
Generally when someone says something that goes way over my head I'll just act like I know what you meant without really saying anything however that was beyong confusing
confused.gif

However congratulations on becoming a PHD candidate. One day I hope to get my Phd in something. Good luck on you bacterial RNA replication thingy
smile_n_32.gif
smile.gif

Back