What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid cactus tips

I searched for this subject and didn't find a topic dedicated to these plants so I decided to make one. I didn't think it should go in the orchid or cactus forums since I'm fairly sure it's neither. It's probably a succulent... The mods can move the topic if they want.

Anyway! I'm thinking of purchasing one of these since their flowers are stunning from what I've seen and I've read that they're easy to grow.

So, if any of you out there have experience growing these, can you give me some tips and maybe your conditions? I would greatly appreciate the help. ^_^

orchid cactti are a tropical cacti. we do have an epiphatic cacti nut on this forum as soon as he sees this he'll respond. he has got me started on them. dont have an orchid cacti yet but will eventually. i do have a Selenicerus(sp?) from him that will get blooms a foot across. its been growing like a weed for me so far.

Rattler

I grow mine in deep pots sitting always in tray water, mostly in shade but with morning and afternoon sun. Keep in mind the flowering is daylength related and like xmas cacti they will not flower if the dark cycle is interupted after sunset.

as an interesting side note. i have a x-mas cactus that is not photoperiod sensitive. its an old clone. my plant came from cuttings from a plant atleast 40-50 years old. its flowering schedual is controled by cool temps. this year was very cool and it bloomed from November to June/July. once the temps in the den hit 45-50 degrees F at night it starts blooming and doesnt stop till night time temps stay in the 60s for an extended period of time. at night during the winter it can have a photoperiod longer than in the summer since the main light will stay on till 10 or 11 at night since thats about the time my dad gets off work.

Rattler

I am an epiphytic nut indeed. Epiphyllum is the name and it is an epiphytic cactus growing natively in decaying leafmold in the crotch of limbs among mosses and other epi's and lithos. They can become a pain in good conditions and have extremely large and sometimes fragerant blooms. The blooms can reach and exceed 16" length and 12" diameter. They also can produce a fruit which is edible but not of concern to most growers. The "leaves" are actually stems in evolution, the name epi=upon/on - phyllum=leaf. It was given this name because it appears to flower from the leaf which is actually a stem.

The culture could not be easier for a these. The can and will readily grow in low humidity. The soil should consist of dirt, drainage material (gravel/rock/sand/perlite/lava/etc....) a basic cactus soil will work with a little peat in it for retension of moisture. They prefer to be damp but not wet all the time or short periods of dry. High humidity will create advintisious (sp?) roots or aerial roots that can be rather ugly and stray in to every and any pot near and become full root systems on their own. I grow mine like a common house plant and move to full sun outside in spring, they are hardy to zone 8 or so. They don't need any dormancy however they will slow growth in winter when light is short and conditions get drier. To bloom they need to be kept cool with short days for 1 month or longer and just enough water to keep from shriveling. If you have any more ?s PM or post. This is my field.

Rattler, If I had knon you didn't have one I would have sent a nice cutting. I will put together a nice package for you of good cuttings from this summer.

Joe

Thanks, everyone! All my questions have been answered.

Back