What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scientific names

Hi. I love scientific names (no confusion) but sometimes they're HARD!!!!
(EX. bryophyllum crenatodaigremontiana ... that's just ridiculous!) but it SURE helps if you know a little bit of latin.
(ex. rubra means red, purpurea means purple, alba means white, pod means foot, cephalo is head, etc etc etc.)
so I was wondering if some of you couldn't post some scientific names and what they mean. I think it would be interesting.

oh that's great!!!!
now it'll be a piece of cake!

Hugeous appetitis: Wyle E. Coyote!
smile_m_32.gif

Hmmm, ya got me there! Does anybody remember the road runner's faux scientific name? It hink the genus name was Fastus, or somthing to that effect.

I remember there was a genius in there somewhere.

Joe

That WAS Wyle E. Coyote. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wyle E. Cotote, Super Genius. I am not selling encyclopedias and I am not putting myself through college. And I will give you the usual 3 minutes to say your prayers." Or something to that effect. Remember when his character was going to his 9->5 job with a sheepdog, punching the clock, beating up on each other, referring to themselves as Ralph & Sam? "Mornin' Ralph. Mornin' Sam."

so it didn't stand for anything? kind of like harry S. truman's "S"?

Possibly, I don't know. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't!

I know the meanings!! Flava means yellow, Rubra means red, purpurea means purple,leucophylla means white topped, minor means smaller or somehwat less significant, gigantea means bigger or more significant, alata means ala or wing, psitacina means parrot or parrot shaped.
Dino
cool.gif

Wyle E. is a wordplay. Wyle E. = wily = "crafty or cunning".
laugh.gif

Back