What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lfs questions.

• Thread starter pond boy
  • Start date
Hi,I`ve recently bought a card of commpressed lfs and I have a few questions. Is it supposed to smell like vineger? And should I wash it?

vinegar? iono.. i'd wash it anyway since i wash all my media very well before use anyway. spaghnum has a very distinct smell (to me atleast) but i've never had any that smelt like vinegar.

I think ya stick it in water and it expands to It's full potenial.

I bought the same compressed pack, but mine didn't smell like vinegar. I also rinse mine before use.

It's cool how much it expands when you put it in water!

Never had a vinegar smell. Rinsing can never hurt although I don't find the same salt problems with LFS as I do with peat. Rinse. LFS should smell like LFS, not vinegar.

some places soak the lfs in vinegar before compacting it, so it doesnt mold...

Never had LFS smell like vinegar in all my years using the stuff..

Spec where did you find that out? LFS has antimicrobial properties. I have kept moist LFS in a sealed bag for months and not had it mold. It comes out of the bag smelling like the day it went in.

Pond Boy.. I would rehydrate it in a bucket and then dump the water, squeeze out the moss and rehydrating again with fresh water. See what happens after a few times of this.. if it still smells like vinegar there may be some chemical contaminant in the moss.
T

At the last BACPS meeting, when a few people talked about soil mixes, etc...

I agree with Tony. I have never had LFS mold even when moist in a bag. Sounds like Hoo Doo to me. Vinegar? Well, it takes all kinds to make a world, LOL.

well what do the lfs companies know? :p

Most places treat their lfs before sending em out (heat them) and peat, too... to prevent that one disease found in lfs and peat
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 05 2004,7:20)]Most places treat their lfs before sending em out (heat them) and peat, too...
uh ... no they don't.

This is off of Peatmoss.com
"What is Sportrichosis and does it come from Sphagnum peat moss or Sphagnum moss?

You may have read about a fungal disease call Cutaneous Sporotrichosis, a chronic infection identified by skin lesions. The fungus which causes this disease has been found in several kinds of organic material and, because in extremely rare cases this disease can cause death, gardeners are rightfully concerned about protecting themselves from contracting it. Unfortunately, however, some of the information circulating about how gardeners can contract this disease has been inaccurate. It confuses two separate products; one of which is known to carry the fungus and one of which does not.

One of the materials know to carry the sporotrichosis fungus is sphagnum moss. This product is frequently being confused with sphagnum peat moss, a soil conditioner used by gardeners. The difference is an important one. While there have been cases of sporotrichosis resulting from handling sphagnum moss, There have been no cases as a result of handling sphagnum peat moss. Sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss are not the same product, as many avid gardeners know."

I left the typo in the first spelling of the disease (it's missing an o)
By the way this disease was long known before it popped up in Sphagnum from rose growers that are often smalling themselves. The fungus responsible grows on all sorts of vegetative matter and only becomes a problem if you cut yourself/small the skin and get some spores in the wound.

doh.. stupid filter..

rose growers that are often p ricking their finger

cut/p rick your finger

Sorry! Hmm.. might want to remove that one

Back