What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricanes

Is everyone O.K? Hurricane Francis is hitting Florida very soon now.
Whats happening?
Dino

P.S
Its on the news here now!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'm sitting here very bored right now, we're under a 24 hour curfew until further notice. The eye of Frances is supposed to pass close by-the eye of Charley went right over us. According to the news we will be getting the outer bands of rain this afternoon, by tonight we will be getting 95mph winds and they are expecting 20+ inches of rain. But to answer your question Dino, nothing is happening right now- its sunny and about 81 degrees.

Oh no!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
aYour houses will get destroyed tho, wont they?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

There's basically not a structure here that doesn't have major damage already. Most houses have no roofs (everywhere you look there is a sea of blue tarps) and the contractors are so backed up they estimate 4 to 5 weeks for any repairs. the city said the debris from Charley would take until October to clean up, so that's still everywhere. My insurance estimate is around 30 thousand in damages and my house isn't as bad as some of the neighboring houses. Yes there will be more damage but there is really nothing you can do about it, and hurricane season doesn't end until November.

Hey Lenny, How you doin'? We haven't heard from you in a while. Great pics. Sorry to see Anglins pier blew down. Hurricane Donna took it down about twenty years ago. Stay frosty.

my cousin Janice is in PA city and john is in the DR!!! hope they'll be ok!

over 40,000 people are without power and that's before the hurricane even hits!

I'm thinking about all of you. I know what its like.
smile_h_32.gif
Batten down the hatches and stay safe. Hopefully Frances will stay weakened. At least its not the Cat 4 it was.

Keep us updated if you can.
confused.gif

I was watching a program about hurricanes and they said that hurricanes seasons come in cycles over 10-20yr periods. We have just begun the rough cycle and have about 10-15yrs left of the rough cycle. They also said that they are tracking another hurricane named........I think it was "Ivan" or something kinda 'Soviet' sounding.
I didn't know hurricanes could spin up tornados. Does it happen from a punch of dry/drier air against the moist/humid air or is it just like how we get them up here? Cool air dropping while the warm moist air is rising.
Anyway .........All you Floridians take care, It sounds like an *** kicking might come your way again.
smile_h_32.gif

Hope your not so sweet you'll melt,
Joe

hey everyone, hurricane didn't do much damage to the DR, the eye passed by a few miles of the coast it was half on, half off, im in the south capital Santo Domingo all we got was wind, alot of wind and rain. The winds weren't hurricane force, but stronger then what you see in NYC that's for sure, thx for worrying clint, im fine
smile_n_32.gif

Thank God Francis weakened from a cat 4 to a cat 2. A cat 4 storm would be beyond catastrophic, moving as slow as this storm is moving. When Floyd hit the Carolinas, it was moving slow like this storm. It turned out to be the second most costly disaster to happen in the US. Not from the wind, but the rain. Two other storms hit the same area less than a month earlier, and the ground was full of water just like Fl. is now from Hurricane Charlie. I think this will surpass the damage of Andrew. Even if you live in an area that never floods prepare for a flood. I am almost sure this will be the worse flood in Fl. history.
I wish everybody in Fl good luck. I hope to see you all back here as soon as the power comes back on.:;):

So far here in Ocala, Florida, there's just a lot of moderate wind gusts, no rain yet that I have seen. The combination of the wind outside and seeing the monster Frances on TV is unnerving, but I am mostly worried about branches falling on my car and the potted trees on my porch flying around. I hope all the people down south on the coast are in a safe place by now!

Good luck y'all! Here we go...

Frances is still moving very slow across Fl. The eye is now onshore.

Here's a current pic.
visiable image

I saw on Fox News that it will move towards Pensicola and Apalachicola. Should give those sarras a good soaking.

I believe it's also been downgraded to a category 1 with only (?!) 90mph winds. I lot of places are getting 10" of rain though, it looks very nasty.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Sep. 05 2004,9:35)]I saw on Fox News that it will move towards Pensicola and Apalachicola. Should give those sarras a good soaking.

I believe it's also been downgraded to a category 1 with only (?!) 90mph winds. I lot of places are getting 10" of rain though, it looks very nasty.
More like rip em out of the ground... Maybe even put em back down in someones yard
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]More like rip em out of the ground... Maybe even put em back down in someones yard

Wrong Spec, Sarr are very capable of surviving any hurricane with little or no damage. Mother Nature takes care of herself.

It's now weakened to 75 mph. It's barley still a hurricane. As soon as it gets in the warm water of the gulf that could change. The dangerous part of this storm will be tomorrow when the flooding will be at it's worse.

Definitely slow moving storms with lots of rain causes major problems. Flash flooding is different from flooding of rivers and streams. When it flash floods, you get flooding where you'd never expect to see it--everywhere! Happens everywhere. Richmond looked just like Florida last Monday..8 deaths so far. So I know the damage they will have all over Florida. Also after you've had hard rains and the ground is saturated, trees are more likely to fall in winds.

Its been quite a heavy hurricane season with 2 more months to go.
smile_h_32.gif

Back