What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kanaele bog

There aren’t many CPs here in Hawaii, either in the wild or in captivity.  In fact, there’s only one native species, Drosera anglica, which is found in only two places.  Here’s a link to some photos of one of those places, Kanaele (kah’ nah eh’ leh) Bog, which I visited recently.

http://www.freewebs.com/kaimuki/kanaelebog.htm

---------
edit: just fixing the link
smile.gif

Cool pics. What was that endangered plant?

wow, cool, looks like someone might've been a little to interested in some plants (note the shovel mark in the dirt from previous visiters)
confused.gif

Aloha John, and thanks for the nice ticket to the land of pakalola (shhhh).

Seriously, thanks for the photos. It's amazing how such a far flung species can still have the same preferences. The "English Sundew" loves to be up to the knees in water.
Is the other flower a banksia or ginger perhaps? It sure is intense. Was it fragarant? Ahh, you probably have a perfume dead nose living there where the flowers grow on roofs.

I asume this is a very local instance of D. anglica and that there are no others in your State, or indeed in the tropics? (I should use Rico's map!)

I would imagine your mud to be very high in clay and inert volcanic material, very different from our mud here, and possibly similar in some regards to the laterite found in Australia. They have good mud there too because of the chemical composition involved does preclude available nutrients to the plants.

I believe these are the very plants Ivan Snyder used as one half of his now famous CA x HI cross (which should be Registered as a Cultivar since everyone from here to Oz is growing the thing!).

This doesn't let you off the hook for a visit from me someday though. It was a nice account, and now that you know where it is, well, you can haul me along!

Please?

Tell you what: I'll send you my cat as an inducement, or what is left of him after the other trades and.....experiments......deal?

BTW, I may have sent you the same seed twice. I am in the middle of a ton of things right now, so if I did, pass it on or sow a lot!

Aloha, and happy growing!

William,

There are only two D. anglica populations in Hawaii. Both occur on the island of Kauai. One is the Alakai swamp at about 4000 feet on the slope of Mount Waialeale. The other, of course is John's Kanaele Bog at 2000 feet.

Ivan used the anglica from the Alakai Swamp for the CA X HI hybrid. Previously, all the Hawaiian D. anglica in cultivation have been from that location.

To me, it looks like the D. anglica from the Kanaele Bog may be larger than those from Alakai and also have a slightly different leaf shape. Wider lamina with a slightly exaggerated blunt termination perhaps?

Thanks very much for the pics, John. Sure have made my day.

Thanks for the info Forbes. Somewhere in me I knew that. Now the question is, how did D. anglica get there! That would be some far flying migratory bird or floating log, hey?

I’m glad that people with much more knowledge than I are commenting on the D. anglica at Kanaele.

Sorry, I don’t know that name of that endangered plant in the Kanaele photos.

Tamlyn, I’m sure there is at least some pakalolo cultivation going on in the vicinity of Kanaele.  It’s supposed to be the biggest cash crop in Hawaii (emphasis on “cash”).  You’re right about the mud.  It does have a high clay content.  And you’re welcome to come anytime.  If we start out early enough, we can hit both the Kanaele Bog and Alakai Swamp in the same day.

Forbes is absolutely correct about the D. anglica sites in Hawaii and about the ancestors of Ivan’s CA x HI hybrid.  I sent Ivan some Kanaele seeds, and he said he’s going to grow that and the Alakai variety under the same conditions to determine if there are any differences between the two.  

Tamlyn, your intuition pretty good about how D. anglica got to Hawaii.  At least a few scientists believe that seeds were transported to Hawaii from Alaska by way of the golden plover, which migrates between both places.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thanks for the nice ticket to the land of pakalola (shhhh).
hee hee hee...
Tamlin, just stay away from their local V.D.....lakanuki
laugh.gif

Alakai bog is also the last (and was the last) stronghold and refuge for a number of hawaii' unique and facinating birdlife. Many of the last records of extinct species come from that bog, and its tha last haunts of atlest 3 criticly endangerd birds wich are posibly extict now.

Aloha John.
smile.gif
Thanks for providing a nice little "arm-chair trip" into a Hawaiian bog. Very interesting! And interesting discussion as well.

Schloaty...you be baaad!
laugh.gif

Back